Microsoft Office 2008 Update Available!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kevo0822, Mar 11, 2008.

1. kevo0822 macrumors regular

2. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

Installed update.

Word, Excel and PP all show 12.0.1 as new version number, but Entourage still shows 12.0.0 (071130)

WHAT'S UP????

3. cmaier macrumors G3

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I just checked for updates, it says there are no updates available at this time. :confused:

5. elcid macrumors 6502

Are you checking Apple updates or Office updates?

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hmm. Entourage is exactly the app that needs to be updated... it hangs about every other time I try to close the application.

At any rate, I'll install this when I get home. Hopefully it will take care of my Entourage hanging on exit issue.

7. hhaeschen macrumors regular

Not yet...

Auto-Update can't find that thing... Well, MS is not :apple:, so I didn't really expect it.

8. W1LLk macrumors regular

Still haven't swung by the campus to pick this up for $29. Need to grab it before May!

9. hhaeschen macrumors regular

Well, at least myself is checking Office update.

10. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

someone please tell me that this will fix the spaces issue.... ...I am tired of chasing word documents from space to space..

11. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I checked both. :confused:

12. jtamac macrumors newbie

13. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I ran auto update and found an update for Office 2004 but none for 2008, weird. AutoUpdate for Office doesn't even work right for me. I have it set to check weekly and it might alert me of an update once every six months, even though multiple updates will have been released prior.

14. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Details of fixes here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948057

Don't get excited about the ability to put custom standard errors in charts in Excel... but looks like they may have addressed some stability issues. Oh, and Entourage now plays sounds! :p

EDIT: I tell a lie. I still hear no sounds.
    EDIT2: oops. turn volume up. the shame, the shame:eek:

15. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

I have never had any issues with the app hanging, it is very speedy on my MBA.

You might want to reinsatll the app, the update does not address this issue.

Improvements for Microsoft Entourage 2008 for Mac
    • Notification sounds now play when you use Entourage in Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.
    This update fixes an issue for users of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard that prevents notification sounds such as New mail sound and Send mail sound from playing when you use Entourage 2008.
    • Reliability is improved when you connect to a server that is running IBM Lotus Domino by using IMAP.
    This update fixes an issue that prevents Entourage 2008 from connecting to servers that are running IBM Lotus Domino 7.0.3 and IBM Lotus Domino 8 by using IMAP.
    • Reliability is improved when synchronizing with a server that is running Microsoft Exchange Server.
    This update improves synchronization support for users of Exchange accounts by reducing instances of duplicate or missing calendar events and by providing more consistency with changes to the calendar on the Exchange server. Additionally, this update fixes an issue that prevents some Entourage 2008 users from synchronizing their contact list together with the Exchange server.
    • Stability is improved when synchronizing data with devices and other applications.
    This update fixes an issue that causes the Sync Services component to quit unexpectedly while synchronizing calendar and contact information to iCal, to Address Book and to mobile devices that are connected through iSync or iTunes.
    • Import of rules and identities is improved.
    This update fixes an issue that prevents Entourage 2008 from importing identities that were created in the Swedish version of Entourage 2004. This update also fixes an issue that prevents some imported Entourage 2004 rules such as POP rules and Priority-based rules from running.
    • Stability is improved when you use Database Utility to rebuild a large identity database.
    This update fixes an issue that causes Database Utility to stop responding or use an unnecessary amount of memory resources when you use it to rebuild a large identity database.

16. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

17. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

18. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

:D
    no, you got the updater update last week. Today the actual Office update released.

19. ts1973 macrumors 6502

Hope this fixes the Mac freeze issue when maximizing windows in Excel. That one's driving me crazy honestly :(

20. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Is Entourage worth it? Really? Please PM me if someone thinks it's worth using and why. ;)

21. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

This update is a bit chunky and bigger than I expected, weighing in at 114MB for me. :eek:

22. puttputt macrumors regular

Microsoft applications have been unexpectedly quitting on my Macs for the past 20 years. I just see it as a friendly reminder that justifies my dislike of all things microsoft. I love it when my mircosoft apps crash! And I wouldn't count on any update from MS to actually solve the problem in my lifetime.

23. joost538 macrumors member

Done

I am completely done with MS Office. I backed out of purchasing the thing and have no regrets. Quicklook'ing office documents works fine and for writing them there's always well-written tools with an Apple feel.

i.e. NOT unbearably slow and clunky. I just cannot believe how slow this Office release has been on intel. It should really fly, but it's unacceptable really for an app this late to the intel party (and re-written in XCode, apparently).

Sorry MS, you have lost a customer.

24. natursyn macrumors newbie

No, unfortunately Microsoft hasn't addressed the issue about custom standard error bars. Now, I'm just waiting for custom standard error bars to be implemented in Open Office. The developers at Sun are working on it for the upcoming v. 3.0. When that happens, I'm never going to purchase a Microsoft product again because of the way they crippled Office 2008.

25. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Hee, hee, kinda like Windows.... :eek:

:D