Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timster83

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
wrong. read the article you are commenting on. Chrome can now be set as default, as well as Outlook.

"Expect to see other mail and browser apps implementing support for third-party details in the near future. Chrome has already updated its iOS app with support and it can now be set to replace Safari as the default browser."

The distinction is between the rendering engine and the browser app.

The Apple rendering engine must be used (WebKit). The browser apps are free to incorporate additional features such as syncing with their PC variants.

mindtpi99

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
I have to use the Outlook app for work, and I'd rather use a carrier pigeon to send e-mails. But I can't wait until Google updates the Gmail app so I can set it as default for personal email.
There's nothing wrong with Outlook on macOS, it's a good app by any standards, particularly if your mail is hosted through O365 and you want all your contacts and calendars integrated in a single app. I use it on iOS as well and it's absolutely fine. I don't like Apple Mail but it's really what you are used to. Microsoft is making some really good Mac apps nowadays and that can only be a good thing no matter what you think of Microsoft

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Then you must have done something wrong. I have all (many thousands of) mails for several decades (because even in times before iCloud, all Apple Mail versions were able to generate excellent backups of the database) in Apple Mail and find each one in fractions of a second on all devices.
I call something like that perfect.

While I agree with your first post mostly I don't agree it is perfect, I lost mails about 2 years ago just when I bought my apartment, important mails got lost, everything got solved but at that time it sucked (more work to to in a "stressed time), I also lost my salary slips around the same time which I needed back then, I never recovered them....

...So, no...mail isn't perfect.

I really hate outlook almost more than I hate Windows, I have to use this crap for my job, it never works for one single day for 100%, and no to those that downvote this post, I am not lying, Windows and lots of programs (I look at you MS) never work for 100% on a daily bases.

explosive0

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Houston
Apple's Mail is perfect. If you need other mail programs e.g. for your job, you should of course be pitied.
In my job I work on the PC with Outlook, and I always wonder why this is so f*** bad.

With Chrome it is exactly the same: Apple's Safari is simply the safest and fastest. Why do I buy a Mac and then install this common junk. To support Google?

I don't understand why this discussion is not even finished. About many other things you can have very different opinions, but criticizing Mail and Safari is a very bizarre hobby.
Laughable, to be honest. Just say it works best for you, and leave it at that.

Princejb134

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
LOL...there are literally thousands of posts complaining about Mail...it hasn't functioned correctly since the first beta versions of ios13 thru every single release version and into ios14. Do a quick search, it is far from perfect and hasn't functioned properly in over a year. I bailed on it in the middle of iOS 13 and haven't looked back. Over 800 posts alone in just one of literally dozens of threads here.

Mail works perfect me. Love the interface as well as it works.
I have outlook on my work phone and i hate it

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Is Outlook/iOS still so broken that it can't use any contacts sources configured on the phone other than iCloud? Hello, Microsoft, it's 2020, there are real directory services out there and email providers other than yourself and Google.

chachawpi

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
wrong. read the article you are commenting on. Chrome can now be set as default, as well as Outlook.

"Expect to see other mail and browser apps implementing support for third-party details in the near future. Chrome has already updated its iOS app with support and it can now be set to replace Safari as the default browser."
Not wrong. Every browser on iOS is just a re-skinned version of Safari.

getinline1

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
This doesn’t work. iPadOS 14, updated Outlook, went to Settings->Outlook and set default app to Outlook. Tried emailing from our in-house app and it brought up iOS Mail new mail modal. Tried from Safari and same result. Lame.

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
This is the first thing I did after getting IpadOS14 just now.

Dislike Apple Mail and find it very limiting (its almost infantile in its lack of controls), and its atrocious for any Exchange business type email systems.

The person above above me posted that it doesn't work properly, but I haven't tested it yet. Probably the 1 day notice that Apple gave developers is to blame. No worries, I'm sure MS will fix this quickly.

This and the non-intrusive Siri are my favourite features so far. Android has had these things for a long time it seems, but glad that Apple finally implemented them.

Vasilisxd

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2018
Does the standard Mail app have the ability to snooze emails yet? I honestly can't remember and it's one of the reasons I started using gmail instead, quite some time ago. If it doesn't they should at least "change" that.

You can like speak to Siri while in an email and say : remind me about this tomorrow 10 pm and a reminder will be set with a link to that specific mail. Better than Snoozing , it goes to your reminders list. You can do the same with a Photo , a contact etc.

Vasilisxd

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2018
This is the first thing I did after getting IpadOS14 just now.

Dislike Apple Mail and find it very limiting (its almost infantile in its lack of controls), and its atrocious for any Exchange business type email systems.

On the iPad i prefer visit the webpage rather that Outlook App. Besides that , the default apple mail is way better with a trackpad on iPad.

egrimo

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
Istanbul
You can like speak to Siri while in an email and say : remind me about this tomorrow 10 pm and a reminder will be set with a link to that specific mail. Better than Snoozing , it goes to your reminders list. You can do the same with a Photo , a contact etc.
I wanted this on Outlook to work, but sadly it's not the case and snooze is the only option there, aI love Apple Mails option since I archieve all important mails and when you create a reminder, it directly goes to email in the archieve folder directly.

Moyapilot

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2015
On the iPad i prefer visit the webpage rather that Outlook App. Besides that , the default apple mail is way better with a trackpad on iPad.
Outlook is much better now with the trackpad. I don’t really notice any issues. I stopped using Mail about a year or two ago after it kept messing up my Exchange emails. Regular Gmail etc. is ok. I also like the ‘focused‘ Inbox of Outlook as well. It has pretty good AI of what is important to me or not.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
My issue with this app is that when I empty either the SPAM or deleted folders, they DON'T delete. I end up having to open up the Gmail app and delete them from there. Annoying. So much for their 'update.'

kalafalas

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
California
This is by far the best email app for iOS for gmail and exchange right now. Uninstall the gmail app and use this, never look back.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Well, chasing it as a default app for mail doesn't work properly. clicking on an email address in Safari opens Apple's new email popup.

Apple's Mail is perfect.

Not even remotely. I had so many issues with notification for my gmail and outlook accounts not notifying me of new emails, so I ditched it for Outlook & Gmail's native apps. I tried going back to Apple's native Mail, and it's still buggy as hell. Are you going to ignore the many many people that have also raised this issue?

What universe is that? The previously existing widget is still there.

The old widget just says 'Open Outlook', nothing else anymore for me, since I updated to the newest version.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
What universe is that? The previously existing widget is still there.

The widget that shows if you have emails from 8 people, but not the actual email? All the way in the left home screen that is just as annoying to navigate to as it is to scroll through?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.