Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
mine is exactly the same - I’ve tried setting the default to Outlook and Spark but neither has any effect, when I click an email link in safari it still opens Mail

Hopefully this is just a bug. Is there a way to report this to Microsoft?

Dephibio

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2013
mine is exactly the same - I’ve tried setting the default to Outlook and Spark but neither has any effect, when I click an email link in safari it still opens Mail

Same here. No success with Spark nor Outlook. I think this is an iOS bug.

Odysee

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2007
Manchester, UK
Brilliant - been waiting for the feature to be released to make it a default app. Nothing worse when it tries to open Apple Mail. :eek:

raindogg

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
Brooklyn NY
I was able to change my default mail app to outlook on my iPhone 11, but the option doesn't show up on my iPad mini 4. Anyone else having this issue?

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Brilliant - been waiting for the feature to be released to make it a default app. Nothing worse when it tries to open Apple Mail. :eek:

Exactly my thought. Really the only feature that mattered to me. I talked to Outlook support via the app and their support team is so behind they do not realize setting the app as default is a thing yet.

Always pisses me off when a customer knows more about the product than their customer support team.

• Haha
Reactions: Odysee

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Same here. No success with Spark nor Outlook. I think this is an iOS bug.

Can you test something? I noticed that if I open up an email address in the contact app it will go to the proper default. However, if I press a mailto link in Safari it opens up Apple Mail.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
Same here - tapping an email link in Safari opens Apple Mail even though I have Outlook as the default.

Also the defaults reset to Mail and Safari if the other app you chose has an update.

Bug fixes needed I feel :)

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Outlook app sucks every time I open it it needs a few moments to get sane and update its heavy GUI and bring in the e-mails. In 1997 e-mail worked faster and flawless, why do we have to deal with bloated stuff now.

brendenjvv

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2020
Not sure what I'm doing wrong here but Siri doesn't seem to actually use Outlook even if it's set as default.

jrpow

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2020
Texas, USA
Well, Outlook doesn't deliver my notifications when they arrive just like the native Mail client has been failing to do. Is there a reason for this? I've checked my settings and they all seem normal. It's very frustrating to miss out on email notifications like this.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
if anyone can advise me, I am having an issue where Outlook is not showing the option for choose as default app.
Well, iOS 14 shows that Outlook can request access to Contacts. Does that mean Microsoft has finally fixed their cr*p application? Under iOS 13 it wouldn't use anything other than iCloud.

Not that I'd use it anyway, its support for aliases is non-existent.
[automerge]1600361983[/automerge]
In Outlook though, anyone know how to markup a pdf within the app? If i receive an invoice in Apple’s Mail app, I can open it sign it with my Apple Pencil and forward on all within the Mail app. I can’t for the life of me work out how to do this in Outlook without saving the PDF first!
You don't.

Dephibio

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2013
Can you test something? I noticed that if I open up an email address in the contact app it will go to the proper default. However, if I press a mailto link in Safari it opens up Apple Mail.

You’re right. Only Safari isn’t working. Contacs.app launches Spark just fine.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
The Apple Mail app doesn't send me notifications when I get email, it's only when I open the app that I will get 10-20 emails all at once. Because of this major error in how the app functions (hilarious that some find it "perfect") I am looking for a new email app and maybe Outlook will work best for me, we will see!
You may have background-app-refresh turned off in settings somewhere. I don’t use Mail.app but that sounds like the problem there.

I do encourage you to consider whether you really need email notifications. They can be a terrible distraction and can trash your focus. I’ve turned off most notifications for most apps and only turn on ones that I really want to be interrupted by.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Outlook app sucks every time I open it it needs a few moments to get sane and update its heavy GUI and bring in the e-mails. In 1997 e-mail worked faster and flawless, why do we have to deal with bloated stuff now.
Something hinky with how your’s is setup. I see no problem like this on a 3 year old iPhone 8.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Still a horrible app:

focused mode is one by default - causes legitimate emails to be missed!

contacts is a joke of sync from their “Kin” product lineup that failed replacing the Sidekick cellphone.

threaded emails feature is a nightmare.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
You have described one major topic quite well:
If you link Outlook accounts (to name just one of the few examples), you will of course have difficulties.
It's well known, because Microsoft maintains a proprietary verification system and partially undocumented protocol. If you choose those providers with a clean protocol (and most of them are), you never have problems, like me. My Apple Mail is linked to different providers and accounts, no account belongs to outlook or gmail, so I have no problems. It's that simple.

So, it’s only perfect if you only use certain providers

Hopefully this is just a bug. Is there a way to report this to Microsoft?

it seems it. In another thread someone using 4.56 on test flights said it’s sorted on there.

Vvrounder

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2020
Any word on whether they’ll offer support for using the Yahoo mail app as the default? I’m not claiming that it’s better than Apple mail or Outlook, I’ve just been using it forever and I’m comfortable with it.

awp69

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2017
Don’t really understand. I deleted the Mail app and have Outlook set to default but every time I click on an email address, it wants to reinstall Mail instead of opening Outlook. Is there a way to fix this?

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
There's nothing wrong with Outlook on macOS, it's a good app by any standards, particularly if your mail is hosted through O365 and you want all your contacts and calendars integrated in a single app. I use it on iOS as well and it's absolutely fine. I don't like Apple Mail but it's really what you are used to. Microsoft is making some really good Mac apps nowadays and that can only be a good thing no matter what you think of Microsoft

I like Outlook on MacOS. It’s decent. I need to use it for work as we use Office 365. However I remain very frustrated that despite being an app designed for MacOS it is not possible to sync my iCloud calendars with Outlook for Mac. I want to use iCloud calendar for my personal and family appointments, but see them in my Outlook for Mac calendar alongside work appointments. The supposed workaround for this - subscribing to the web version of an iCloud calendar - has never worked for me either. I’ve had to switch to using a Google calendar for personal and family calendars, which Id rather not do.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Any word on whether they’ll offer support for using the Yahoo mail app as the default? I’m not claiming that it’s better than Apple mail or Outlook, I’ve just been using it forever and I’m comfortable with it.

Check with Yahoo, ask them on Twitter or something. Only they will know.

Don’t really understand. I deleted the Mail app and have Outlook set to default but every time I click on an email address, it wants to reinstall Mail instead of opening Outlook. Is there a way to fix this?

It's a bug with iOS 14.0, as per the MacRumors homepage confirming as such.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Applications have to support Apple's specification for being the default "X" application. Given Yahoo's incompetence, that doesn't seem likely for them.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
You can like speak to Siri while in an email and say : remind me about this tomorrow 10 pm and a reminder will be set with a link to that specific mail. Better than Snoozing , it goes to your reminders list. You can do the same with a Photo , a contact etc.

Disagree with it being better than snoozing when I'm somewhere that is not convenient to speak to siri but good to know if I ever use the Apple mail app again. In theory if you set a new mail client as default would it not work with that app as well? If so it's not really an advantage for the Mail app anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.