Microsoft Passes Apple to Become Most Valuable U.S. Company

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft today surpassed Apple to become the world's most valuable publicly traded company as a result of Apple's continually declining share price, reports Business Insider.

Microsoft has reached a market capitalization of approximately $814 billion, while Apple's is now slightly less.

[​IMG]

Apple earlier this year became the world's only trillion dollar publicly traded company, but it lost that status in November and its market cap has steadily declined since then over concerns of weak iPhone sales and its announcement that it will no longer share iPhone, iPad, and Mac sales on a unit basis.

According to Bloomberg, Microsoft's market cap has not previously matched Apple's since mid-2010, eight years ago.

Microsoft's growing cloud business and strong PC sales made Microsoft one of the few tech companies to grow in value following its September quarter earnings results. Apple's valuation, meanwhile, has fallen more than 20 percent since its own earnings results.

Microsoft shares hit a high of $105.94 in intra-day trading, while Apple's have dropped to a low of $170.27. As stock prices fluctuate, Microsoft and Apple are now competing for the most valuable company title with the lead company shifting back and forth.

Article Link: Microsoft Passes Apple to Become Most Valuable U.S. Company

2. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

3. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Time for a 5G-capable iPhone in 2019, Apple. Your stock can’t wait until late 2020, especially since you’re still an iPhone company first.

4. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

Well well well. Funny how these things work in cycles. What's the betting we see Microsoft rise to the top again and Apple will be the lesser of the two and then 20 years later we'll watch the same thing happen in reverse.

I reckon flares will be the next cool thing soon enough!!

5. tomscott1988 macrumors 6502a

tomscott1988

6. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Apple hasn’t been “Apple” since Steve Jobs died

7. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Well this is what happens when you focus on profits over people and you lose focus. The product lineup is overly expensive and confusing. The Macbook weighs less than the MacBook Air? C'mon. You don't sell the Timecapsule anymore because you don't update it and then say that it's not updated enough?

8. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Good. The sooner Apple hits the ground with their insane pricing practices, the sooner we get better products at lower prices.

9. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

AAPL has taken an ass whipping on stock price. The fan boys will cheer the "buying opportunity" at these depressed levels or comment on the "manipulation" of prices against Apple. Lot of headwinds for sure, but significant concerns about the future for we AAPL investors. This has been and is a gut punch.

10. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Will there be a watch band edition to commemorate this occasion?

11. kodos macrumors 6502

Good for MSFT. They are the more interesting company right now. Time to add some gold to the iPhones and remove some more material from your iPads, Tim Cook. Set your innovation dial to 11!

12. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

I made a comment about Apple's pricing more recently (saying it was getting out of hand) and was told it was because I live in the UK and it's because of Brexit!!

13. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

True. Apple had never been the most valuable U.S company when Steve Jobs was alive.

14. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

And an emoji....

15. Khedron macrumors 65816

Well done Tim

Your greed paid off for one quarter, got your bonus, and now Apple is tanked

16. coolbreeze2 macrumors 6502a

coolbreeze2

If Apple would unleash the power of the iPad by running full Mac OS and not iOS, they would clobber Microsoft with that move alone. Come on Apple cause you could be heading down!

17. MacFather, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018

MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Well deserved!! Tim Cook transformed Apple into a greedy fashionable brand, milking a loyal customer base for as much money as possible!!

18. iLoveDeveloping macrumors 6502

“Oh no apple is doomed, Bill Gates has actually won!!!!!”..

It’s just a number, doesn’t mean much.

19. kennyt72 macrumors member

It'll go back and forth between Microsoft and Apple until Amazon overtakes them both and stays there

20. Khedron macrumors 65816

If it runs full MacOS then Tim won't get 30% of the revenue from all the apps his company didn't develop

21. DNichter, Nov 26, 2018

DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Good for Microsoft. Although I don't like/use any of their products, I have really liked their approach under the new CEO and I think they are a valuable competitor to Apple moving forward.

22. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

I'm glad you don't run my business! ;)

23. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Hopefully Apple can increase their prices again next year to help fix this.

24. gkarris, Nov 26, 2018

gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

$749 "budget" Smartphone... $799 "entry-level" computer... $849 "basic" laptop (the older Air is still available I guess, for education)...

LOL...

25. Chabba macrumors regular

Microsoft’s cloud services are killing it. Good on them.
    Professionally, I just switched from Google’s G Suite to Office 365 and couldn’t be happier.