Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
Appleinsider has been publishing stories like this for a while now. I like Apple and all, but their stories are nowadays so incredibly biased that I have given up on reading them.

I have been wondering where Appleinsider is exactly inside, but I am beginning to think it is up Apple's butt.

I don't generally read them, but I'm not sure what's so "biased" about the story. Seems fairly credible at a glance.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Large screens mainstream? I'll tell you what else is more mainstream: Hands and Pockets...billions of them out there...those large screens don't appear to be compatible with either of those devices.

Are you going to serious suggest that only a 3.5 inch - wait - no only 4" phones are compatible with hands and pockets? Seriously?

rmendol1

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
What people miss with other phone makers is that Apple only makes "good stuff". If Samsung sold ONLY S3 & S4 phones and no other cheap junk, they would start to be like Apple. Apple's innovation is that their "herd" can move together. Apple is going to move almost ALL iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 5 (and iPads too) to iOS 7 in just under a week... And they will get 80% adoption in about 60 days. Each phone was near the head of the hardware pack when it was new... And that's all Apple has to update. iPhone 4 is going on its 3rd year of OS support from Apple, who else is doing that? It's boring, but its still better business for the customer than the other guys who release phones that get NO UPDATES even when new OS versions are already on the market.

Actually Samsung does make some other good phones and products... The Note, Galaxy Nexus to name a few. My almost 2 year Nexus now runs circles around my wifes 4S which were both released about the same time.

The benefit of running stock Android phones is you do get the latest updates. A lot of Android phones are crippled from the carrier not the manufacturer

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I don't generally read them, but I'm not sure what's so "biased" about the story. Seems fairly credible at a glance.

They have have recently developed a habit of spinning and fabricating connections to make it seem they are aware of some grand master plan, whereas the evidence is circumstantial at best.

I have tried to find some examples, but their post archive is difficult to navigate. Sorry.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California

Wow.

Just wow.

So the two numbskulls at the table are presenting ideas to Jonathan Ivy and Steve Jobs. For those assuming the posture that the slender neck is not supposed to be Steve . . . . . . how's the weather on your planet?

Just when you think Microsoft can't possibly go any lower, just wow.

Someone in Redmond, with more than a few brain cells rattling around in their cranium must have found out what the kids were doing and had this pulled.

I wonder if anyone will get fired?

That is just some genuine, genius branding going on there Microsoft.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Wow.

Just wow.

So the two numbskulls at the table are presenting ideas to Jonathan Ivy and Steve Jobs. For those assuming the posture that the slender neck is not supposed to be Steve . . . . . . how's the weather on your planet?

Just when you think Microsoft can't possibly go any lower, just wow.

Someone in Redmond, with more than a few brain cells rattling around in their cranium must have found out what the kids were doing and had this pulled.

I wonder if anyone will get fired?

That is just some genuine, genius branding going on there Microsoft.

Other than simply not being fully, the fact that they actually cast someone to look like an old, thinner, ill Steve is what I find disgusting.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
How can you see with you eyes closed? Are you actually saying that the person in the video is not supposed to be Steve?

Well put it this way. Steve's dead, right? And this youtube video was made well after he was dead. I don't know about you - but it seems pretty silly to create a new video mocking Apple that shows someone pitching a new idea to someone that's not alive.

Now I'm not saying there are no resemblances or commonalities. But personally I think it's just bad casting without any regard to how it might be interpreted vs a deliberate "let's mock the death of Steve Jobs" or "let's get someone who looks like Steve for this."

Or it could be a total f#@$%^ by Microsoft. But I'm not going to defend nor crucify them not knowing either way.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
People see what they want to see.

Exactly.

----------

How can you see with you eyes closed? Are you actually saying that the person in the video is not supposed to be Steve?

I don't see the similarity, I'm not going to assume it's someone just because of a thin neck, that's the pinnacle of absurdity. There are a lot of people in this world with thin necks, just because they have thin necks doesn't mean they are cancer ridden. Even so, if they DID in fact attempt to portray Jobs, so what? I just don't get it. They didn't portray him in a cancer ward getting chemo. Have you ever watched any parody shows in your life? Should Saturday Night Live be held accountable because they parodied Jobs famous personality?

You guys really need to get off that soapbox and the sanctification of Jobs.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Why are you getting butthurt because someone is typing that word?

U mad?:confused:

aaaand I rest my case.

I hope you're very young; if not, I have some bad news for you. :)

(and as someone mentioned, a rather ironic comment)

Last edited:

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
People see what they want to see.

Uh huh... because "T" is always known for wearing those types of black shirts, and has exactly that color hair. :rolleyes:

It's obviously a classless spit in the eye at Apple and fans and followers of Apple.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ballmer didn't write and shoot the damn things himself.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Uh huh... because "T" is always known for wearing those types of black shirts, and has exactly that color hair. :rolleyes:

It's obviously a classless spit in the eye at Apple and fans and followers of Apple.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ballmer didn't write and shoot the damn things himself.

I would be. The fact that you wouldn't be is interesting though.

One could argue that Tim(bo) wears black shirts (button downs) and that Jobs did wear a black turtleneck. But not a black t-shirt that is depicted in the video.

But again - you just proved my point. People see what they want to see.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
One could argue that Tim(bo) wears black shirts (button downs) and that Jobs did wear a black turtleneck. But not a black t-shirt that is depicted in the video.

Fine... let's cap this off by saying Microsoft sucks at casting too.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
All,

Saying that the iPhone's fingerprint sensor (in a button!) is not innovative is as short-sighted as Ballmer was when the iPhone was released for the first time. This is a KILLER feature, no other phone implements this today in this manner.
(Isn't that the very definition of innovation?)

After using mobile tech for several years, I'd gladly switch to a platform that allowed me to not have to enter a GD password every frakking time, while keeping things secure. That seemingly innocuous feature will sell phones like crazy.

Apple better put it on ALL its iOS devices.

With Apple, it's never quite been about who does it first. It's always been about who does it right, first.

From their ecosystem, to the iPod, to multitouch, to phones, to tablets, to their UNIX-flavored PC OS, it's all about how they did it.

They might not win every time, but pound-for-pound, they are the best in the business in this regard.

Now, if only they'd give me a bigger screen....

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
I've never seen an NFC enabled device other than a phone in my entire life. It's mainstream where you live, not here.

Large screens mainstream? I'll tell you what else is more mainstream: Hands and Pockets...billions of them out there...those large screens don't appear to be compatible with either of those devices.

To all those saying that alternative phones are too big...

If you personally like the smaller size, recognize that this is a personal choice.

If you're falling onto arguments such as "hands and pockets...billions of them out there...those large screens don't appear to be compatible" clearly you haven't used a bigger device. Unless you're wearing clothes too tight for you? My pant pockets almost can store a 7" 16:9 tablet. And they're not exceptionally big. Note the tense almost: A small bezel and a 5 inch screen wouldn't have much of a problem.

I don't see why Apple couldn't release two sizes. Or three. They have three laptop sizes. It doesn't cause much fragmentation. They sell more phones than laptops. Why can Apple do one and not another? Fear of annoying developers? Well...when Apple goes under 10% to where it is with laptops, they'll get similar levels of software support. Developers will get up and leave anyway.

staypuffinpc

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
average size

"average ... size"? So you are about 5'9" / 175 cm.

Yup, 5'10" ~178cm. Male. When I picked up the HTC One, the extra width was one of the first things I noticed. It's not what bothers me most about the phone (the microphone wins that contest by a mile), but it really does feel too large when using the thing as a phone. For other activities (e.g., camera, youtube), the size is great, but as a phone it feels like I'm sticking a tablet to my ear.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
All,

Saying that the iPhone's fingerprint sensor (in a button!) is not innovative is as short-sighted as Ballmer was when the iPhone was released for the first time. This is a KILLER feature, no other phone implements this today in this manner.
(Isn't that the very definition of innovation?)

After using mobile tech for several years, I'd gladly switch to a platform that allowed me to not have to enter a GD password every frakking time, while keeping things secure. That seemingly innocuous feature will sell phones like crazy.

Apple better put it on ALL its iOS devices.

With Apple, it's never quite been about who does it first. It's always been about who does it right, first.

From their ecosystem, to the iPod, to multitouch, to phones, to tablets, to their UNIX-flavored PC OS, it's all about how they did it.

They might not win every time, but pound-for-pound, they are the best in the business in this regard.

Now, if only they'd give me a bigger screen....

It would be innovative if it was the first cell phone to have it, but it's not. Apple does excel at getting hardware just right so I would expect the implementation to be perfect. Unfortunately Apple is missing a big opportunity by not pushing the fingerprint sensor for dev use in their apps. I'm sure they will eventually, but by the time they do, and devs write apps we are probably looking at the ip6, so IMO they are not implementing it well on the software side.

----------

I would be. The fact that you wouldn't be is interesting though.

That makes too much sense. People squinting there eyes and seeing a cancer ridden Jobs where there is only an actor with a skinny neck makes MUCH more sense. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.