Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006
The truth is that OneDrive is known to be THE slowest online sync/storage service, and they must be having issues getting performance increased at scale.

Doesn't surprise me. It runs on Windows and Windows is slow and unreliable. It has 0 place in a public facing service. And yet MS trans their business on it.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Apple doesn't have access to your iCloud drive.

Don't be so naive. You'll find that any internet content/service provider will have full access to your information/data. Apple would typically receive dozens of requests each day to make a users data available should a user be under criminal investigation for example.

Agencies like GCHQ have pretty much open access to everything (and I do mean literally everything) that passes through the internet anyway, encrypted or not.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
if unlimited users were using too much, then why reduce free users as well? How was it not foreseeable to anyone that some would abuse it? I think they're just monetizing the service.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
MS is close to be successful due surface pro and etc...but making this move...they are Apple wannabe.

The only people who are upset are the people who were using OneDrive for free. They are not entitled to anything so they have no basis for complaint when their free storage gets limited to 5GB. If they want more, then pay like the rest of us & stop crying.

Reactions: ohio.emt

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
1) Microsoft called it unlimited storage. And as far as I know they did not put limits on what it could be used for.

2) I don't know that it was a small number taking advantage of their terms to store videos, backups etc, I haven't seen any numbers attached to the claims. It may have been a significant number.

3) I don't trust ANY of the cloud suppliers to not look at what is stored there, and that includes Apple. Apple says the right things about privacy but 2 days, 2 months, or 2 years from now things could change. And saying you respect privacy doesn't mean that is what you are really doing. That said, I trust Apple more than any of the other Cloud storage companies. AND that said, I don't use any of them.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
This my friends is yet another reason why I'll NEVER trust Cloud services. They go out of business, change the terms on you, and hold your stuff hostage if you don't pay them. By the same token, they are changing the terms of the FREE service, so people don't have a right to complain.

Reactions: Ash Pole

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
If people didn't abuse these services there would be no need for companies to go in and see what the hell was taking so much space.

Totally agree. You give people an inch and they'll take a hundred miles and then be "outraged," if a company puts a stop to it. Even though it ends up "ruining" it for everyone else.

Reactions: ohio.emt and Fuchal

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
" a small number of users backed up numerous PCs and stored entire movie collections and DVR recordings"

so you snoop on our files? no thanks.

Check out the app called Arq 4 - Use it to encrypt anything you send to the cloud. I bought it, its amazing.

towdow3

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2015
well....i USED to use one drive. now i use iCloud drive, dropbox, mega, google drive, box.com, and copy.com

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
**** like this is exactly the reason why I don't use this cloud crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Then don't call it UNLIMITED. When you make something unlimited it means I can store how my much of what I want there. And store it forever.

Worse yet, calling it unlimited and then blaming the users when they actually use more then they want them to rather than admit they made a huge mistake by offering unlimited storage in the first place.

The bigger stab in the back with this change is also dropping the free tier from a reasonable 30gb back down to 5gb and discontinuing the 15gb photo roll all while increasing the cost of their first tier storage options.

640kb should be enough for everyone, yo!

EDIT: The fact that their own blog has been taken offline should tell you everything you need to know about their scaling ability. Nice job MS... nice job.

MaciMac100

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
Just when I thought things in tech world couldn't get worse with Apple shipping junk (remember: "We don't ship junk.") like 4K Macs with 5400rpm or 4K video iPhone with 16gb...

Microsoft starts punching itself in the face! LOL :p

Last edited:
Reactions: navaira

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
If people didn't abuse these services there would be no need for companies to go in and see what the hell was taking so much space.

Respectfully, why is it abuse to use an advertised selling feature logically? Why have unlimited storage and not use it? Sorry, but Microsoft's move almost smacks of bait and switch.

utopianbl

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Regardless of what you think about people "abusing" unlimited storage reducing the storage on the free tier from 30GB to 5GB is a low blow. They aren't doing it to save costs, they're doing it to upsell you on an Office 365 subscription.
like any other listed company MS is trying to make money off of their products - lol

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
I was one of the people that wanted to take them up on their UNLIMITED plan.

I paid $99.99 for their "Unlimited" storage back near the end of JULY.

After just 3 months, they are eliminating that?

This does seem like a bait and switch.

Wow, I just used that last phrase (hadn't read too many comments yet, but there must be a lot of people who feel as we do).

Reactions: Atlantico

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. I work in the media department at my church and we keep all of the media/graphics/videos we create on a shared network drive. We've been doing this since 2008 and have 25TB on it. That drive is filled with 100% of our unique content.
Church or not you are a business. Buy a plan if you need unlimited backups.

Reactions: ohio.emt and Fuchal

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Don't be so naive. You'll find that any internet content/service provider will have full access to your information/data. Apple would typically receive dozens of requests each day to make a users data available should a user be under criminal investigation for example.

Agencies like GCHQ have pretty much open access to everything (and I do mean literally everything) that passes through the internet anyway, encrypted or not.
Apple has not full access to your iCloud data (they DO have access to your information for sure).
Apple can't make user data available even under criminal investigation .... as of today.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
How does this affect business subscribers?

I sold my company (and my CEO) on switching to OneDrive for Business because of Unlimited Storage. It was the only thing that made us see the value in dollar-per-GB. Now I have to explain, nope sorry, they changed their minds and now it is only 1 TB.

Anyone defending this should really get off the internet forever. Do you believe I should pay the same amount for 1 TB of storage as I was for Unlimited Storage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.