Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft Releases Office 2016 for Mac With Updated Versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and More

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
Screen Shot 2015-07-12 at 23.29.04.png
You obviously don't realize how powerful or important this software is to some people or you wouldn't call it whatever you called it.

I'm well aware of the importance that lots of people who are not me find in the Microsoft Office™ family of software products. Please see above image for details. For more information please re-read this post.

Reactions: Renzatic
Comment

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
MSFT next step is OS subscription. You will always be on the latest version of Windows for the low low price of 9.95 per month.

I'm not sure that would work. Most people I know only ever upgrade their Windows OS when they buy a new machine because it's such a painful experience. It's not a smooth seamless process like with the Mac.

Comment

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
Very, very easy upgrade on my iMac and MacBook. Did heavy work with all three apps all weekend (don't use Outlook) and all is fine. Annoying mouse wheel scroll slowdown from time to time, and miss not being able to customize toolbar, but happy with the changes.

Comment

jessatd83

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2015
I have been a Microsoft office user since the Windows 95 era. I was looking very forward to Office 2016 and I was very disappointed when it was released, mostly because of Word, which is the Office app I use the most. The new Excel seems decent but I have only used it sparingly. Word is a cpu hog and it is slow and anything but smooth. I have a fully loaded mid 2014 15 inch Macbook Pro so software should feel anything but slow. The cpu runs between 2-4 hundred percent when opening docs and stays like that for between 5 and 30 seconds. This kills my battery life that I sorely could always use more of. Right now I am still have both versions installed as I hope daily that Microsoft will release an update to fix this issue. I would have already moved to Pages except Google Drive doesn’t support the native file format, which for me is a necessity for my work.

Come on Microsoft fix these issues and give us a good product we can be proud and happy to use!

Comment

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I'll do you one better. The university I graduated from offers a free alumni email forwarding service, basically you get an address like Firstname.Lastname@alumni.XXX.edu which is forwarded to up to 3 email accounts. On a whim, I signed up for Office 365 for students using that address, got a confirmation email and am now running Office 2016 on my Mac for free.
You didn't do me one better, you matched my best! Buried in this thread somewhere I posted that I was given a 1-year sub of the Home version for just showing up at a local MS store with my iPad, so I got at least one year free. I also signed up for the OneDrive preview for UL storage - I'm rocking 10TB of capacity on each of my 5 "accounts".

I'm pretty sure that I can't take advantage of the alum email option - I graduated long before there was this thing called "email"...

Comment

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Well to be fair the subscription isn't just office. You also get 1tb of one drive space and you can share office and one drive with other people. 10 bucks a month isn't that much if you look at how much you are getting.

It might be a "good deal" if I could also use that storage space for cloud backups of my iDevices.

Oh, I can't? Oh snap.

Comment

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I'm not sure that would work. Most people I know only ever upgrade their Windows OS when they buy a new machine because it's such a painful experience. It's not a smooth seamless process like with the Mac.

It doesn't matter whether it's seamless or not if they force you into it as Adobe did with their new model.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Nobody in their right mind would pay for a subscription for this when Google Docs is free.

Many people are required to use MS Office because there are compatibility problems with google docs (and other alternatives). You don't want to be the person to send the Judge a doc that looks right on your screen because you are using Google Docs, but is all futzed up when he opens the doc. And I've seen that happen too many times to other people.

Comment

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I double click on a file document.
It opens word, but not this specific document!
It just opens word!
Of course, if I go from inside word, file/open, it opens any document normally.
Is this a bug?

I run onyx also(just for generic maintenance) but the problem remained.

Anybody else with this problem?

Reactions: adrianlondon
Comment

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
Many people are required to use MS Office because there are compatibility problems with google docs (and other alternatives). You don't want to be the person to send the Judge a doc that looks right on your screen because you are using Google Docs, but is all futzed up when he opens the doc. And I've seen that happen too many times to other people.

This happened to me a lot when I first got my mbp. I would send documents to my boss only to have her email me back saying it was all jumbled up. And forms I had to fill out would be all wacky.

Since getting office for mac I don't have so many problems anymore. However sometimes office for mac jacks up formatting as well. I sometimes have to use parallels to complete a document using the windows version of word. I wish MS would at least make their office suites consistent for both platforms.

Comment

Shirasaki

macrumors G4
May 16, 2015
I pay $99 per year/ $8.25 per month for the following

Full office apps on my surface (outlook, word, pp, excel, access, publisher, onenote)
Unlimited Onedrive storage with apps for every platform
Full office suite on my iPad
60 minutes of free Skype per month for me
Full office apps on my wife's pc
Unlimited Onedrive storage for my wife's account
60 minutes of free Skype per month for my wife
Full offfice apps on my mom's pc
Unlimited Onedrive storage for my mom's account
60 minutes of free Skype per month for my mom
Full office apps on my brother's mac
Unlimited Onedrive storage for my brother's account
60 minutes of free Skype for my brother

You're absolutely nuts if you don't think that's a good deal.
I pay $360 per year for the following:

Office app for iPhone and iPad on my iPhone and iPad.
Office for Mac
Office for Windows (full function unlocked, including experimental excel features)
SharePoint site
OneDrive for business, with version control
SharePoint newsfeed. Features as a private Twitter.
Exchange mail account.
Priority enterprise service.
And much more.

All of them above is utilised by myself only.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
This happened to me a lot when I first got my mbp. I would send documents to my boss only to have her email me back saying it was all jumbled up. And forms I had to fill out would be all wacky.

Since getting office for mac I don't have so many problems anymore. However sometimes office for mac jacks up formatting as well. I sometimes have to use parallels to complete a document using the windows version of word. I wish MS would at least make their office suites consistent for both platforms.

I've been pretty lucky - in about 8 years of using various versions of Mac office I haven't had any issues (so long as I stick to "standard" fonts.)

Comment

dantemacrumor

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2015
I have been a Microsoft office user since the Windows 95 era. I was looking very forward to Office 2016 and I was very disappointed when it was released, mostly because of Word, which is the Office app I use the most. The new Excel seems decent but I have only used it sparingly. Word is a cpu hog and it is slow and anything but smooth. I have a fully loaded mid 2014 15 inch Macbook Pro so software should feel anything but slow. The cpu runs between 2-4 hundred percent when opening docs and stays like that for between 5 and 30 seconds. This kills my battery life that I sorely could always use more of. Right now I am still have both versions installed as I hope daily that Microsoft will release an update to fix this issue. I would have already moved to Pages except Google Drive doesn’t support the native file format, which for me is a necessity for my work.

Come on Microsoft fix these issues and give us a good product we can be proud and happy to use!

Mine is the same. I tested the beta version of Word (preview) and it was at least not slow. The final version is slow, especially when working with many track changes and long documents. Also waiting for a fix. Please send your feedback to MS through their feedback icon, I sent them yesterday. In this way, at least we make them "aware" of the problem.

Comment

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I double click on a file document.
It opens word, but not this specific document!
It just opens word!
Of course, if I go from inside word, file/open, it opens any document normally.
Is this a bug?

I run onyx also(just for generic maintenance) but the problem remained.

Anybody else with this problem?

Am I the only one with this problem?

Comment

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
No, although I only get that problem when opening mail attachments; even then it doesn't always occur.

So, it is a bug.
Annoying bug. I have to go from file/open menu, all the time. Usability ruined.
Such a clear problem how it slipped away from microsoft testing?

Comment

Sandy Santra

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Brooklyn
Does anyone know what the deal is with the ribbon? Does it finally match Windows? (The 2011 Mac version did not match 2010 Windows or 2013 Windows Office ribbons in Excel, Word, and Powerpoint.)

Comment

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
How can set it, in order to see 2 pages simultaneously side by side in my screen?
I have high resolution, but no matter how small I make the 'visibility percentage', I still see one page at a time, the next one below the previous one, etc

In word 2011, I could see 2 or even more pages side by side.

Comment

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
How can set it, in order to see 2 pages simultaneously side by side in my screen?
I have high resolution, but no matter how small I make the 'visibility percentage', I still see one page at a time, the next one below the previous one, etc

In word 2011, I could see 2 or even more pages side by side.
Works the same as 2011 for me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 4.17.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 4.17.44 PM.png
    549 KB · Views: 73
Comment

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I have this on 2 windows and 2 mac computers with Office installed via enterprise. But im retiring in August and my enterprise link will probably stop working.
Im not paying 99 a uear to maintain one word and one excel file (that i use often). The iWork suite will do just fine for that. I've paid for office 97, 2003, 2007 and had a standalone of 2010 that died with a hard drive. Cant find any of that documentation.
Microsoft has sucked money out of me for Office too many times.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Comment

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007

I have loaded Office 2016 for Mac on my iMac and used it for some time now. MS has finally released the program (WITH NO PROVISION TO BUY A COPY . . . ONLY LEASE OFFICE 365). I refuse to buy into a monthly or annual fee for this seldom used program. I decided to go back to Office 2011 for Mac and delete the 2016 version. I can no longer find my 2011 copy in my apps folder. Does anyone know if 2016 DELETED the 2011 version? They advertised that the two programs could run beside each other. I am beginning to suspect that I will have to delete 2016 and reinstall 2011 from disk.
Anyone else have this problem ? ? ?

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.