Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft Releases Office 2016 for Mac With Updated Versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and More

touchUpInside

macrumors regular
May 4, 2014
UTC -07:00
2014 iMac, the new Excel update repeatly crashes (trying to use vlookup formula). Fortunately, the Windows version works on Parallels.

Watched MS grow by leaps and bounds over the decades. Don't know what happened (antitrust took too much of a toll on BillG ?). Some skakey stuff these days. They need to do better.

Comment

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
"Office for Mac will also be available as a one-time purchase in September."

THIS!!! Thank you, Microsoft, for listening to those of us who dont like the subcription model. Say what you will about MS, but they do listen to their customers, care about backwards compatability, and do seem very interested in innovating.

But wait till you see the conditions before you rejoice. I'm pretty sure the price will be much higher and it will be restricted to one Mac which is no good for me as I have a desktop and laptop.

Comment

lugesm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
But wait till you see the conditions before you rejoice. I'm pretty sure the price will be much higher and it will be restricted to one Mac which is no good for me as I have a desktop and laptop.

Pretty sure you are right. Microsoft will push everyone to get onto the cloud version, because they want that predictable revenue stream. They will likely make the purchase an undesirable or unacceptable option for most Mac users. They will employ price and conditions in an attempt to force users into the subscription mode. I will never accept that. There are less desirable (but workable) solutions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Comment

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I'm not sure that would work. Most people I know only ever upgrade their Windows OS when they buy a new machine because it's such a painful experience. It's not a smooth seamless process like with the Mac.
Yep. Also OS X's model of free updates is a problem for MS particularly if they are trying to keep users. Don't see this happening. I recall that Windows 8 was actually a drop in price from Win 7.

Comment

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Pretty sure you are right. Microsoft will push everyone to get onto the cloud version, because they want that predictable revenue stream. They will likely make the purchase an undesirable or unacceptable option for most Mac users. They will employ price and conditions in an attempt to force users into the subscription mode. I will never accept that. There are less desirable (but workable) solutions.
Office 2011 has been sold as one computer per license for a while now, so that's not a change. The advantage of 365 is being able to use Office on multiple devices and getting version upgrades. I use Office on 2 Macs, a Surface, an iPad and an iPhone 6 plus. IMHO, Office 365 is reasonably priced for what you get.

If you want a single computer license, then Microsoft will sell you what they have been, starting in September. Until then, you can continue using the beta/trial version for free.

Comment

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
If you want a single computer license, then Microsoft will sell you what they have been, starting in September. Until then, you can continue using the beta/trial version for free.

My Office 2016preview stopped working with the last update, and now asks me to login to Office 365. Is there any way to make it work again ? I was under the impression that it would work at least a month after release...

Comment

Chicki

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
I have a random question, does anyone know how to turn on vertical page position on word? I use this feature a lot for lab letters that I have to do for school and i can't figure out how to turn it on on my macbook

Comment

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
My Office 2016preview stopped working with the last update, and now asks me to login to Office 365. Is there any way to make it work again ? I was under the impression that it would work at least a month after release...

I was going by what was posted on the Microsoft Mac Office blog:

Originally, we planned to let the Office for Mac preview expire on August 9, 2015, 30 days after launch. However, several customers commented that this was before the availability of the one-time purchase version in September, leaving some preview participants without Office 2016 for weeks. As a result of this feedback, we are extending the life of the preview until the end of October. This will give preview participants about one month to move to Office 2016 as a one-time purchase, or over three months for those who want an Office 365 subscription.​

I have Office 365 so I don't get the error. Does it let you cancel the 365 login so you can use Office? If not, perhaps try: support.office.com/home/contact

Reactions: pasadena
Comment

G3ck092

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2015
Australia
I can get Office for free through my Uni, is there any reason to though? I'm studying IT, so rarely any writing, and 1 physics subject. Planning to take down a lot of notes in Pages though. Every assignment I hand in is a PDF, so is there really any reason for me to install Office?

Comment

taldo

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
I don't know if this means the desktop version will follow the iOS one,
But,
the iOS Office suite have been updated with official Right to Left language support and can be downloaded from the app stores of those relavent countries.

Will it be availabe to mac users as well....?

Comment

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I can get Office for free through my Uni, is there any reason to though? I'm studying IT, so rarely any writing, and 1 physics subject. Planning to take down a lot of notes in Pages though. Every assignment I hand in is a PDF, so is there really any reason for me to install Office?
Pages v. 5 for notes. Ugh. No frickin' way. No outline view mode. I know that Pages 5 has "note taking" and Harvard bullet lists, but, well, ugh. I'd rather use Keynote in Outline view before Pages 5 for note taking. For note taking, Word's Outline view is a superior tool but I'll admit to using Word for Windows in a Parallels VM to take advantage of the keyboard shortcuts for moving text.

The "word processor" I'd use if I were a heavy note taker - and I'm not alluding to just text input - is Scrivener 2. Then, maybe OmniOutliner. Both have been around for years and are more flexible than Pages or Word, and both companies have student discounts (and free demos) and a MAS presence - read the reviews on the MAS about Scrivener...

Comment

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I was going by what was posted on the Microsoft Mac Office blog:

Originally, we planned to let the Office for Mac preview expire on August 9, 2015, 30 days after launch. However, several customers commented that this was before the availability of the one-time purchase version in September, leaving some preview participants without Office 2016 for weeks. As a result of this feedback, we are extending the life of the preview until the end of October. This will give preview participants about one month to move to Office 2016 as a one-time purchase, or over three months for those who want an Office 365 subscription.​

I have Office 365 so I don't get the error. Does it let you cancel the 365 login so you can use Office? If not, perhaps try: support.office.com/home/contact

No. If I cancel, it falls back to trial version - no saving. And it stopped working a couple of weeks ago when it auto-updated to the latest version. Thanks a lot for the quote, I never found it. I will contact them. I ended up getting a one-month trial of 365, but it will expire on August 15th, and again leave me with weeks before they release the standalone version :(

Hopefully I still have the installer somewhere, I'll try to reinstall it from scratch first.

Comment

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

I'm more than happy with Office 365. 5 activations for my Macs/PC's, I'm always on the latest version, continued product updates (at least 1 major update per quarter for new Office for Mac), full Office for your Tablets/iPads and >1TB One Drive space. What's not to like?

Comment

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
How can I uninstall it?
Is there official uninstaller, or better use a third party app like appdelete?

Comment

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
I don't know if this means the desktop version will follow the iOS one,
But,
the iOS Office suite have been updated with official Right to Left language support and can be downloaded from the app stores of those relavent countries.

Will it be availabe to mac users as well....?
Buried within the Word/Excel app's Resources, in the Shared Support > Proofing Tools folder, are Grammar Resources for Arabic and Farsi, but no Speller or Thesaurus Resources yet. So, soon, maybe?

Comment

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Agreed, however, with a caveat I'll offer as a counter to that point, being constructive. Several of my current Office 2011 licenses are for the 2-install version of Office 2011 Professional, which included Outlook; I'll cite "past tense" as it's not available via MS's web site, but is available via a telephone call to arrange for the digital DL and issuance of the 25-digit key number. I also held licenses for the 2-install of Office 2008. Both were offered a few weeks after those suites came out and cost a bit more than the "normal" suite.

I've seen the 2-install version for sale on Amazon FWIW.

Comment

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
The easiest way is update through word/etc application, for sure. This is a new feature.

But I am not sure if it is the best way, in contrast with manually downloading update file packages.
If anything goes wrong, wouldn't it be nicer to have all the update files in your drive to reinstall instantly?

Comment

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
I read that this version supports 'page thumbnails'.
How can I create them, or see them?

Comment

awilso

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015
We should all be very worried about this PAYG model from Microsoft. Simply put Microsoft has reached the end of its development cycle for products. Most customers use less than 1% of the functionality of office, and in terms of true innovation in terms of the product development map going forward, there isn't anything major left in terms of development that would spur mass adoption. What to do? PAYG is the only commercially viable model that protects income streams going forward. The fact that most of us could easily survive on our current versions of office for the remainder of our working lives is now a threat to the original business model. So expect Microsoft to start bundling cloud services and SAAS API's as a way of justifying the offering going forward. Privacy will be the next big threat to the model as cloud based networked applications open themselves up to surveillance and security issues to a greater extent than we had before.

Just take your 1Tb storage T&C's for example - which country is your data stored. In Europe there is protection for your data, but not to the same extent in the US. Data ownership and the legal rights attached to it are important.

Just imagine what the sum of your digital content is, and then imagine AI Google type scanning, and you have a perfect profiling tool.

No my friends, I am going the way of Linux, TOR, Encrypted disk images and standalone storage in this new world. There are two reasons for this, firstly I don't trust corporations with my data and secondly I don't trust corporations with my client data. So for personal and professional reasons, I am having to move in another direction to the one Microsoft wants me to.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a great product and for 99% of the world who want to write a family newsletter and go school projects, 365 is a great innovation as it is hardware independent. But In terms of corporate adoption, this is a swiss cheese product.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Comment

mindmojo.com

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
I just searched for "Office 2016 slow" because ITS SLOW on two Macs I tested it on. One Mac is an older Mac Pro and the other a new MBA. Saving a 1000 page file takes several minutes. Oh, you say, that's a really big file. On Word 2008 the same file opens and saves with changes in seconds.

There is another thread here about slow typing but I haven't run into that.

I have had two crashes.

I did not see these problems with an earlier version (15.12.?) but I just updated to 15.13.1.

Last edited:
Reactions: satcomer
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.