Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EatinPonies

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2016
What about the versions that were installed via the App Store? Mine still says it's version 16.56 and says "Universal" in System Information > Applications.

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
According to the release notes accompanying version 16.57, Excel will now run natively on Macs powered by Apple's M1-series processors without having to use the Rosetta 2 translation layer, which means anyone using a Mac with an M1, M1 Pro, or M1 Max processor can expect better performance and energy efficiency when working with Excel spreadsheets, particularly those that make use of the Power Query function.

Too bad those release notes are not available in Microsoft AutoUpdate. Apparently, Microsoft thinks that providing update information within the updater is beneath them. Instead, they expect users to blindly install updates without seeing what’s changed.

Reactions: orbital~debris

JEY

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2021
You mean MacOS X Tiger 10.4.1, right?

EDIT: But yes, to your original point, the use of OG is sophomoric and unprofessional. This is not Tiger Beat magazine.
100% agree. Why alienate a massive segment of readers that don't have a clue what OG means? What happened to simple, concise language in reporting.

Attitude and flair are for the comments section.

Reactions: Zdigital2015

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
It's too bad Microsoft neutered the Home Use Program that allowed employees of partnered companies to get Office for super cheap. I got 2004, 2008, 2011, and 2016 for $10 each through my employer. Now the Home Use Program only gets you 30% off a 365 subscription. No thank you! Thankfully Office 2016 still works great on my M1 Macs.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
100% agree. Why alienate a massive segment of readers that don't have a clue what OG means? What happened to simple, concise language in reporting.

Attitude and flair are for the comments section.
Rumors are inherently classified as “gossip”, but MacRumors editorial should care about elevating their content beyond that. What they should consider is expanding editorials about certain rumors that having multiple conflicting accounts, which I have seen them do recently. The rehashing of stories during a given for clicks and page views has gotten very old as of late.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEY

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2017
You mean MacOS X Tiger 10.4.1, right?

EDIT: But yes, to your original point, the use of OG is sophomoric and unprofessional. This is not Tiger Beat magazine.

At least MR don’t fill their articles with French terms (sans, du jour, raison d'être, raison de rigueur, etc) like some journalists from other English language publications in order to appear sophisticated.

Last edited:

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
it wasn't already? who knew!

I personally just sign in to my Office 365 subscription from work since it can be installed on up to 5 machines. Free office for me!

Is there a difference between Excel you get on the Mac App Store and the Excel version provided by Office 365? The version on the App Store was M1 native for a few time now

I'm so confused by this. My Microsoft apps are all downloaded from Microsoft via my employer's O365 subscription. They are all listed as "Universal" (not "Apple Silicon") in System Information, even though they're all version 16.58

What about the versions that were installed via the App Store? Mine still says it's version 16.56 and says "Universal" in System Information > Applications.
Excel has been Universal/M1 native for over a year now. The only exception was the Power Query function, which operates as a separate plug-in process. Much like with Photoshop and Intel-only plugins Excel had to be started up in Rosetta mode in order for Power Query to run. With this update Power Query is now fully Universal.

Sweetpete74

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2022
Teams is an Electron / "progressive web application", so it's not even macOS native on Intel / x86. The client application could be native, but in terms of how the application functions, it's basically a glorified web browser. All of the content you see in Teams like calls, chats, files, etc are all technically [X]HTML structured content served from an Angular application.

Sadly, it's very unlikely that we'll see a native version of Teams at all, even on Windows.
You can run Teams as a PWA app and it runs native. I use it instead of the Mac app and have full functionality.

Sweetpete74

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2022
Did MacRumors actually read MS's release notes? Excel has been Apple Silicon native for a long time (along with the rest of Office, except OneDrive). The only thing that required Rosetta was Power Query, so now THAT has been updated to be Apple Silicon native, Excel now no longer requires Rosetta.
There is a preview of OneDrive for Apple Silicon. You access it through the About tab in the Preferences for the OneDrive client and can switch to the pre-release build. It’s been working great for me.

• Love
Reactions: srbNYC

Kiimora

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
London UK
Word, Excel & Powerpoint were autoupdated to this version on my M1 iMac 4 days ago, with the exception of One drive!

TriApple

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
I've been using the "New Outlook" feature for a while and it's been working great for me. Search works fine, I don't struggle to locate items in my inbox of several years.
It doesn't even have tasks in it yet. It's not fully functional unfortunately. Agree that the search works well. My 14 year PST file is around 100gb and it works really well.

Still chasing Tasks though...

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
The writing is a little sloppy in this story. "OG Rosetta" is not the proper way to refer to the first version of Rosetta that shipped with OS X 10.4-10.6.
I don't see it anymore. Looks like Tim Hardwick agreed that he had screwed up and fixed it. Good.

Who is his superior, anyways? There needs to be a responsible editor looking at these stories before they're published. I agree that "OG Rosetta" was extremely poor choice of wording!

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
There is a preview of OneDrive for Apple Silicon. You access it through the About tab in the Preferences for the OneDrive client and can switch to the pre-release build. It’s been working great for me.
Yeah, there's a big thread about that - it had issues with searchability, although I think that is fixed now. I had reverted to the Intel version because of that, but I might take a look and switch if they have fixed that problem.

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
Good luck pitching that to all the finance departments running their work on spreadsheets.

Now imagine you have spreadsheet with 10.000 rows and 3.000 columns. Are you still going to use Excel?
How in the world are going to apply some maths/statistics on such a large dataset in Excel?

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
You can run Teams as a PWA app and it runs native. I use it instead of the Mac app and have full functionality.
Yeah that's the point, it's the same "core" application across all platforms and browsers as it's pretty much just a glorified website. The "apps" for macOS, Windows, Linux, etc are all basically stripped down web browsers that render the application. The "core" app is still pretty much interpreted code though, so it's not native.

Apparently "Teams 2.0" will ditch Electron for some new Microsoft Edge engine coupled with React, so hopefully that improves the app performance.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Now imagine you have spreadsheet with 10.000 rows and 3.000 columns. Are you still going to use Excel?
How in the world are going to apply some maths/statistics on such a large dataset in Excel?
I've done some pretty crazy stuff with Excel and large datasets, it handled it well enough for me. When you need to make this kind of thing available for a lot of people (maybe non-technical users), Excel can be a good way of doing it. The automation aspects with VBA are great too, I saved a group of people literally months of work with a couple of hundred lines of VBA. You might be surprised on how much you can do with Excel.

Don't get me wrong, it stressed out some early 2010's computer hardware, but it met all of our expectations. Nowadays I'll end up building building a database and PHP app to query things, but earlier in my career, Excel did great.

Full disclosure: this was on Excel for Windows, I don't rate the macOS version nearly as good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.