Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wood1208

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2015
Natively run MS Office will be here. Just matter of time. Comparing time during PowerPC to Intel transition, now MAC user base is so large and constantly growing; Microsoft can't afford to delay natively run MS Office for Apple Silicon. Google office and others like Apple's own office productivty Apps can take share of MS Office market.

Last edited:

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Can I get this as a one-time purchase or do I need to sign up for their ripoff subscription plan?

Edit: To clarify, I am not questioning the value of the plan. I think any time I am locked into a lifetime subscription to access an application, song, etc. is a ripoff.

Last edited:

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
They are already realising lightroom next month...photoshop 2021 early...you cannot compare photoshop with office (that is in beta) , photoshop is more complex to port, dont believe Apple when you just check a box and its ready
Feel free to post a link where Apple said "just check a box and its ready" about the transition to Apple Silicon. At WWDC they posted at least one full video talking about migration. For most apps it is that simple, though. But for others, it might not be.

woocintosh

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
If x86 based hardware couldn't catch up Apple Silicon based Macs and Mac users grow, someday, Microsoft may release Windows running on Apple Silicon Macs.

Reactions: G5isAlive

The Cappy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
Natively run MS Office will be here. Just matter of time. Comparing time during PowerPC to Intel transition, now MAC user base is so large and constantly growing; Microsoft can't afford to delay natively run MS Office for Apple Silicon. Google office and others like Apple's own office productivty Apps can take share of MS Office market.
One of the problems with the PPC to intel transition was that CodeWarrior was very popular but it turned out not to be able to make the leap to intel. And I think MS was using its own dev tools. So for some people, the transition was actually quite hard because you had to move the whole project to Apple's suite.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
So MS gets this ported to the new silicon very quickly, but Adobe may not have their programs like Photoshop ported until early 2021, great job Adobe, lazy sods.
Re-read the article please. These updates from Microsoft are NOT universal binaries and will be running via Rosetta 2 on the M1 Macs. Native M1 beta’s only at this point.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
The author of this article needs some reeducation. It’s not Office 635 anymore, it’s Microsoft 365. That change happened earlier in the year.

• Disagree
Reactions: kovalchuk71

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Re-read the article please. These updates from Microsoft are NOT universal binaries and will be running via Rosetta 2 on the M1 Macs. Native M1 beta’s only at this point.
It is universal, it will not run via rosetta 2. Yes it's only in the insider beta channel. But it is universal, it will not run via rosetta 2.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Microsoft are much more on the ball this time with the move to Apple Silicon - I remember the pain of having to use Office via Rosetta during the prior PowerPC to Intel transition, Microsoft took forever to release a Intel version of Office for the Mac.
Office 2004 ran just fine using Rosetta on Intel Macs. It’s just that if you depended on VB for your apps that wouldn’t work. Otherwise, I couldn’t tell the difference.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I’d say you have that backwards. Tim has little clue what he’s doing. Look at Apple’s revenue breakdown. 55% of it is from the iPhone and iPad. Products Apple introduced in the last five years of Steve’s leadership.

33% of it comes from Services, Home, and Wearables. This category (minus wearables) was started under Steve, and he got it up from nonexistent to 14% in the last 10 years of his life.

The last 11% is the Mac - unchanged from where it was when Tim took over a decade ago, and not really a category Steve did much with in his last five years.

===

In contrast, I’d say Satya Nadella knows what’s he’s doing at Microsoft. Under his leadership, they’ve aggressively moved into cloud compute, entered the hardware end of PCs with the Surface, and released Windows 10, which is arguably a better OS than macOS (certainly it was a much bigger leap as far as computer OSs go than anything else seen in the past 15 years.)

Steve Ballmer was an idiot - he couldn’t get out of the way soon enough - but Nadella seems to rival Gates as the biggest influencer of where Microsoft is now.
Windows 10 better OS is debatable. I supported it for years and the amount of troubleshooting I had to provide made it frustrating. I personally never had any issues with it.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
They never really understood what their customers wanted and most importantly what they wanted Microsoft to be.

Leadership matters... cheers to Tim Apple.
They never really understood what their customers wanted” —> You are describing Apple right there, especially Steve Job’s-era Apple.

Last edited:
Reactions: kovalchuk71

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Can I get this as a one-time purchase or do I need to sign up for their ripoff subscription plan?
Ripoff? 6 users for $100/yr for the whole suite PLUS 1TB of OneDrive cloud storage for EACH USER is a ripoff? That's $16/user per year.
Plus you get new versions. Retail purchase of Office is >$200 and you're stuck with that version. I'll let you do the math as to how many years of M365 you pay for before you reach the cost of 1 version of retail Office.

Remember, too, 1TB of iCloud is $120/yr and that doesn't include ANY software!

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
Adobe is doing very well these days so why are they still in business if what you say is true, hmmmmm?
I never said “in the whole world” — I just said “that I know.”

That said, just because a company is making tons of money doesn’t mean they’re delivering a quality product. Not many people say to themselves “Man! AT&T has great value and service! This huge bill I pay each month is totally worth it!”

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Microsoft are much more on the ball this time with the move to Apple Silicon - I remember the pain of having to use Office via Rosetta during the prior PowerPC to Intel transition, Microsoft took forever to release a Intel version of Office for the Mac.
Under Satya Nadella, this really is a different Microsoft than it was then.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Ripoff? 6 users for $100/yr for the whole suite PLUS 1TB of OneDrive cloud storage for EACH USER is a ripoff? That's $16/user per year.
Plus you get new versions. Retail purchase of Office is >$200 and you're stuck with that version. I'll let you do the math as to how many years of M365 you pay for before you reach the cost of 1 version of retail Office.

Remember, too, 1TB of iCloud is $120/yr and that doesn't include ANY software!
I just really dislike the business model of paying indefinite subscriptions to have access to a computer application. I want to pay for it once, and receive the necessary bug fixes and security updates for that major version. If I want the next major version, I'll either have to pay full price or pay a subsidized upgrade cost, but I don't want to be locked into a monthly subscription for the rest of my life just to edit spreadsheets (yes, I know there are more capabilities, but the exaggeration highlights my point).

I'm not saying it's not a good value, I'm saying I don't want apps to be subscriptions. I feel the same way about music, by the way. I don't want to be locked into a subscription to access my music library, either. There is solace in relative permanence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.