Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therealtruth

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2014
My thoughts exactly while reading this. Yes, tech is cool, yes we can make neat stuff do neat things. Now besides playing around with tech, how do you make such thing applicable and usable by the general public? Neato tech doesn't equate to a product, stop being the guy with the audrino who made a light blink.

This is exactly what it is. If they are producing this as "R&D" for the public, its showing you they have no clue what they are doing.

Renzatic

Suspended
This is exactly what it is. If they are producing this as "R&D" for the public, its showing you they have no clue what they are doing.

No, they're showing it as R&D. They're not advertising for a future product. They're not intended it to form any hype about what MS Proper plans on doing in the near future. They're simply showing off what they've been working on for anyone interested. Hell, there are projects there that have no connection or concerns with the consumer market.

Microsoft Research has never been too secretive about what the things they're working on.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I don't want thing because it's a thing yet! :mad:

I think he means as its an idea or partial prototype but not a product.

This isn't new at all. I fly Flight Simulator X, I have a clip on my cap, a sensor on my monitor, I move my head to change the view when I want to look around the cockpit, left and right, up and down. Had that for years.

The trick is to get these motion objects to work VERY well and not be a tech gimmick thats too hard to make work, for the masses

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
Is that an Apple Mac they are using?

Is that an Apple Mac they are using with black tape of the edges of the display?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I agree that tech like this is more useful than touch screen for desktop computers like the iMac. I just hope Apple will eventually have it built into the computer but having it in an external device like the KB is a great way to upgrade existing computers.

----------

Did anyone notice the keyboard looks just like Apple's keyboard? :rolleyes:

:D :cool:

Did anyone read the story?

"The prototype was curiously made using keycaps from an Apple keyboard."

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Pretty cool idea. Glad Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc are pushing the boundaries of modern day computing with their research. Even if they never reach the general public.

One practical application would just to be able to wave my hand over a keyboard to wake a monitor from sleep without pressing any keys
Try one of these, EIZO EV2436WFS-BK. The monitor goes to sleep when there is no movement and wakes up when you simply wave your hand or whatever. Really nice experience to see the monitor magically wake up when you return from a short break :)

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
microsoft shows something cool that might come in handy in future: boooo, boooo, microsoft doesnt have it, its just a gimmick

apple releases new product with old technology that has been around for years: WOOHOO, INNOVATION, THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING, THE OLD WAY TO DO IT IS NOW AN INCONVENIENCE whats the next apple will do? thinner iphone 6 with stronger hardware? THATS TRUE INNOVATION

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Why would they use such a small keyboard for this? Give me it on a full-sized, wireless, solar powered keyboard with back-lighting and I'm sold on the idea :)

Nee412

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Sunny England!
Motion sensing yes. It's part of the obvious future for both computers and TVs.

Motion sensing in a keyboard. Please no. It's just the wrong place for it. It'll complicate the user experience. Imagine accidentally activating motion sensing as you're trying to edit an important peace of work... The keyboard is already an input device that works. Don't try and fix what isn't broke.

On the bright side. Apple won't do this, because they tend to steer away from the more useless ideas other companies shove into their technology.

rudigern

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Nobody with a clue holds them in high esteem in regards to security right now. Security programming is a serious business, but an error of this type is the sort that'll see whoever was responsible barred from working security again, possibly for life. I've seen it happen many a time for far lesser errors.

A bigger bug in open source software was announced around a month ago which affected a lot more. If what you say is true, no one is held in high esteem.

Blu-ray1972

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2013
Leap Motion already created something like this for the Mac

https://www.leapmotion.com/product

leap-3d-motion-sensor.jpg

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
Microsoft Research does research. Hence the word "research" in its name.

Microsoft Research hasn't done anything significant in a lot of years. For example, I wouldn't call this technology "new". This is basically a Leap Motion sensor (See post above) attached to a Mac Bluetooth Keyboard.

How is this any different from what Leap Motion already does. When Leap came out nobody really paid attention. Now Microsoft yet again copies and it's suddenly a WOW Factor.

Give me a break!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Reminds me of the Leap controller. I think it's very interesting especially when built into a keyboard.

----------

How is this any different from what Leap Motion already does. When Leap came out nobody really paid attention. Now Microsoft yet again copies and it's suddenly a WOW Factor.

Give me a break!
Sounds an awful lot like how other companies create tech but people don't pay attention until Apple "borrow" or buy it.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
This is an Apple centric forum? While the article was about Microsoft, I am surprised how many non Apple users/Apple haters read Apple forums.

My opinion is that the idea is meh, its not new, I'd say that whoever made it. Ive been using TrackIR for years on my flight simulator. Thats one of many ways to use motion sensors, as does xbox, PS, Leap. The idea to motion the keyboard could be stupid, but if well implemented could be nice. Its not about how cool t is, its about how useful in reality it is. As someone said, Apples gestures are not new, not even that cool, but very useful.

Samsungs air gestures are very cool, but don't work at all well, haven't even heard the words air gestures for an age now, a fail. (not a dig at Samsung, just a relevant example for this thread)

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
implying that its only for mac? :D

Mac, Windows and Linux
fixed that for your

Microsoft Research hasn't done anything significant in a lot of years. For example, I wouldn't call this technology "new". This is basically a Leap Motion sensor (See post above) attached to a Mac Bluetooth Keyboard.

Give me a break!

its built into the keyboard, thats the difference and hasnt been done before.

why shouldnt it be a wow-factor? a fingerprintsensor inside a phone created one of the biggest circlejerks here on macrumours, and it was not only not the first fingerprint-sensor in general, it wasnt even the first fingerprintsensor in a smartphone.

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
agreed, maybe they should put the time and money into a developing a secure OS before they make gimmicky gesture keyboard.

Damn right! Get those people off the motion-sensing keyboard project and back to writing OS updates! I'm sure they'll do a good job.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Just wondering how it knows the difference between intended jesters and false jesters. I could see some normal hand movements being misread.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011

https://www.leapmotion.com/product

I have a leap motion.

and it works exactly like the demonstration that Microsoft is doing.

The problem I have is i've really not found a real good practical use for it.. just yet.

However, it's bloody cool to use and when you do air jestures and peoples eyes go :eek:

but, I find the biggest problem is the software. There is no software that truly makes 3d air gesture feel natural.

Its been a few months, I should plug it back in and see what new has been released to the store.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Microsoft taking a page out of Google's playbook. Wake me up when this technology is shipping with a product.

how is showcasing a prototype worse than a ceo going on for years about something about to be released?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.