Microsoft Reveals Wireless 'Modern Keyboard' With Hidden Fingerprint ID Sensor

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft has quietly posted two new accessories onto its online storefront, called the "Modern Keyboard" and "Modern Mouse" (via Engadget). Both devices are built to visually match the company's line of Surface products and connect to Windows PCs, but the Modern Keyboard will also connect to any macOS and iOS device that supports Bluetooth 4.0.

[​IMG]

The Modern Keyboard has a low profile with an aluminum frame that Microsoft says is "virtually indestructible," while still remaining sleek. It can also be used wirelessly through Bluetooth 4.0 or with a wired connection, includes a rechargeable battery that can last up to two months on one charge, and weighs about 14.79 ounces.

Notably, the Modern Keyboard includes a hidden fingerprint sensor located between the Alt and Ctrl keys that lets users unlock their Windows 10 devices with a simple finger press using Windows Hello. Although the keyboard can be used on a Mac, iPhone, and iPad to type, the fingerprint unlocking feature is not compatible with Apple devices.

Microsoft said that its goal was to seamlessly blend the fingerprint sensor into a key on the keyboard, "so it would appear to be any other key."
    Microsoft's new keyboard falls in line with a similar product requested by Mac fans since the debut of Touch ID within the MacBook Pro's keyboard last year, which would be a Magic Keyboard for Mac with Touch ID included somewhere on the device. Last week, Apple launched a new Magic Keyboard with a number pad, but it lacks a Touch Bar and Touch ID.

The Modern Mouse is made out of similar metal material as the keyboard and includes "premium precision pointing and clicking," according to Microsoft, but it lacks compatibility with macOS. It also uses AAA batteries with a battery life of around 12 months.

Both devices have a "coming soon" banner on their pages, so it's unclear when exactly the accessories will launch. When they do, users will be able to buy the Modern Keyboard for $129.99 and Modern Mouse for $49.99.

Article Link: Microsoft Reveals Wireless 'Modern Keyboard' With Hidden Fingerprint ID Sensor

2. Munky macrumors 6502

I like that the article totes that it is a "hidden" fingerprint sensor. As if the large key with a fingerprint on it was keeping the secret hidden.

****ing clickbate

3. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

What mouse is compatible with iOS?

4. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

The mouse looks like an ergonomic dream compared to Apple's.

5. 4jasontv macrumors 6502a

My inner privacy advocate wonders how long until every key has a fingerprint reader in it and everything online can be tied back to a single user across devices.

6. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

It's Microsoft's direct wording.

7. GaryMumford macrumors regular

GaryMumford

The Mouse still has a scroll wheel... Is it supposed to be Retro?

8. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Good point:)

9. jsalda macrumors member

How about the fact that MS makes an extended wireless keyboard and Apple doesn't?

10. deno macrumors newbie

I personally wouldn't buy a mouse if it didn't have a scroll wheel

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Well, it's not exactly hidden, but this is really cool. The whole Windows world has really recovered in the past few years with excellent hardware and Windows 10.

12. djeeyore25 macrumors regular

djeeyore25

I tried to connect my Surface Dial to macOS via bluetooth and it crashed my system. Microsoft doesn't play nice with Mac products.

13. macintoshmac macrumors 65816

macintoshmac

I like the looks of this keyboard as well as the mouse. No comments on fingerprint sensor and the "key" part of it. But, credit is due, this is a keyboard I would love to have, if I were a Windows user, depending on how well the keyboard is to type on.

14. fcs132 macrumors member

fcs132

15. 4jasontv macrumors 6502a

They do, and while butterflies and chicklets are nice, I really wish they would put some energy into taking back the mechanical key crown.

16. rakiec macrumors newbie

Is it just me or would you put the fingerprint sensor in the mouse instead? That's seems more logical to me. I'd buy that.

17. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Not the poster who said that, but as I said the other day in another thread: MacRumors should be capable of stating the facts without blindly repeating marketing speak. That being said, the "hidden" part is just that the sensor is built into the key and the key looks just like any other, which is new for a lot of Windows devices where the sensors are often some soft of metallic-looking square. (It's also about what Apple did with the Home button; aside from removing the square icon on it and adding a bit of a ring to the outside, neither of which scream "fingerprint sensor!", it looks about the same as it always did--so if you're used to Apple, you might wonder why this would be called "hidden" at all since it's what you're used to.)

18. 4jasontv macrumors 6502a

That sounds like an Alphabet solution to the problem of more than one person using the same user account.

19. Avieshek macrumors 6502

Avieshek

20. Chicane-UK macrumors 6502

Apple have made some great products in recent years.. like AirPods, etc. The Magic Mouse most certainly is not one of them. I find the shape uncomfortable, and I find it a constant problem with spurious inputs and the like. It sits unused here on my desk, and I've got back to a dependable Microsoft Intellmouse Optical from about 10 years ago!

21. bluespark macrumors 65816

Uh, what?

22. Torrijos macrumors 6502

This is something I don't get...

Why the recently released Apple wireless keyboard doesn't include Touch ID and visual touchbar.

It sure would have reduced autonomy a lot but all the sudden new desktop users could have accessed those features (iMac, macMini, macPro old and new the logic being in the keyboard directly).

23. newyorksole macrumors 68030

How about Apple DOES...

24. slimothy Suspended

slimothy

That's not hidden. That's like claiming my wheels on my car are hidden because I painted them black. It makes no sense. It's a key on a keyboard. Lmao. Very sad how this "reporting" has been lately on MR. Click-bait, false titles, false information. Jeez. Either way, this thing looks just like Apple's new keyboard.

25. GaryMumford macrumors regular

GaryMumford

I find the scrolling on the Magic Mouse so smooth compared to scroll wheels. When working with large files in Photoshop & Illustrator or coding in dreamweaver, or just simply browsing the web, The ability to flick up/down and left/right or just touch and scroll to navigate around in any direction is absolutely brilliant. I would never want to go back to a scroll wheel out of choice as in my kind of work they are too slow and clunky. It's just my personal choice though