Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
It's easy to charge a higher price for a product. It's way harder to charge a higher price than an equivalent competing brand (especially if it's a Mac) and convince customers to choose your product over everyone else's.

Apple can afford to do so because of the strength and stickiness of the Apple ecosystem. For anyone else, daring to price your computer higher than or equal to a Mac is tantamount to product suicide.

So it's not that PC makers haven't thought of charging higher prices. It's that they can't!

Well, apparently now ... they can. And it looks like it's starting to work.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Well, apparently now ... they can. And it looks like it's starting to work.

No doubt enabled by the lull in Apple's update cycle.

The PC manufacturers still have to prove their products are worth the premium they are charging though. Or any gains they make in this period will be short-lived. Because from what I am reading from reviews online, products like the surface studio, razor blade and XPS are not without glaring flaws of their own.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
The SurfaceBook is a good example, like the MBP it had some issues out of the gate, but now its a solid, fast machine. I think its proven its worth.

I agree. It sounds like excellent product.

That said, it seems next to impossible to find. I have a colleague in Singapore who is interested in getting one and I can tell you, there isn't one in the entire country.

If Microsoft wants to be a credible alternative to Apple, they seriously need to ramp up their manufacturing and distribution channels.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If Microsoft wants to be a credible alternative to Apple, they seriously need to ramp up their manufacturing and distribution channels.
For MS, that's a slower process (I'm assuming) because they're being measured in what countries to sell the hardware.

Queen6

macrumors G4
I agree. It sounds like excellent product.

That said, it seems next to impossible to find. I have a colleague in Singapore who is interested in getting one and I can tell you, there isn't one in the entire country.

Not that it helps, Surface Book is easily available in Hong Kong & China, I remember Kuala Lumpur being slow to get SP4, yet to see the Performance Base in Asia or Europe.

Q-6

Last edited:

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Are you serious? In the premium PC market Apple dominates. Most of Microsoft's market share is in software, and most of that is in sub-$500 PCs.

As for hardware, it is Microsoft who is the upstart. Surface is only a small part of Microsoft's revenue.
[doublepost=1485556703][/doublepost]
They release total Macs sold.

Stop drinking the coolaid, Apple doesn't "own" and have NEVER "dominated" the market share in Any PC Segment. They do well in phones and tablets. Do a simple google search before posting nonsense. I'm even going to link to a clearly bias source for you and the headline is STILL slanted. http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...as-windows-continues-to-cede-share-to-the-mac

Reactions: jblagden

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
Do a significant number of people really switch from Mac OS to Windows 10? Seems like a bit of a red herring to me even if Apple's current lineup is unimpressive. I can see power users, maybe, who's revenue depends on fast output changing. But is that a big number? I can't see the avg. consumer switching and also Mac seems to remain the preference of kids and college students.
My impression, having studied, worked, and lived around a large college campus for several decades, is that the last ten years have seen most students using the MacBook and MBP platform, while faculty and staff mostly use PCs. The last year, however, I've noticed more and more students migrating from Macs to top-line PCs such as the MS Surface, the Dell XPS laptops, as well as top-of-the-line Toshiba and ASUS laptops. I think Apple has pushed price-point vs. quality past the purchasing power of most students, and that PC offerings are getting much better - both in terms of hardware and software. Tech-oriented students also gravitate toward pre-installed Linux offerings by Dell such as the XPS-Developer Edition line. Nothing statistically to back it this up just now, but just my observations while in libraries, coffee shops, etc.
[doublepost=1485700529][/doublepost]
Hackintoshing is a great way to get the hardware you want, but with an actually good Operating System. I would seriously recommend it.
Perhaps if Apple ends up getting out of the computer hardware (Mac) business, they will open up their OS offerings to the PC market. That would be a great move, IMO. The competition would be good for OS innovation and support. Hackintoshing, right now, is really attractive only to hobbyists with time and money to tinker with both hardware and OS software, as there is absolutely no tech support from either PC or Apple vendors.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Do a significant number of people really switch from Mac OS to Windows 10? Seems like a bit of a red herring to me even if Apple's current lineup is unimpressive. I can see power users, maybe, who's revenue depends on fast output changing. But is that a big number? I can't see the avg. consumer switching and also Mac seems to remain the preference of kids and college students.

Mac users, including myself stay for the OS, IMO. For me this is OS 10 and iOS. When Windows becomes secure I could see myself playing with a Microsoft Laptop out of curiosity. I'm on Win NT all day at the office, and there is never a day where IT is not putting out several fires. Upgrades are for planning your week vacation (includes all upgrades.)

I am not a Tim or Jony supporter any longer, but neither do I want Windows in my personal life in the least. :apple:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
If you haven't yet switched to a Microsoft Surface, do so now! Apple is train running straight into bankruptcy from bad products and overpriced watch bands no one asked for, with its stupid train conductor Tim and coal shoveling minion Johnny
I bought a Surface Pro 3 two years ago and still use it today along with my 2015 15" MBP.

I could easily see myself switching to the Surface Pro permanently if I decide to never buy another MBP again. That may very well happen with the decisions Apple made with the 2016 MBP.

I don't use the pen for drawing or writing on my SP3 but I do use it to do screen caps. It's extremely easy to do and only takes two seconds to do using the pen.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
No doubt enabled by the lull in Apple's update cycle.

The PC manufacturers still have to prove their products are worth the premium they are charging though. Or any gains they make in this period will be short-lived. Because from what I am reading from reviews online, products like the surface studio, razor blade and XPS are not without glaring flaws of their own.

Err do not think so

Apple got away with high prices as you note due to there sticky, shooting fish in a barrel, eco

There has always been premium/high priced Laptops on both OS's it's nothing new or some lull by Apple facilitating this

Apple equally has and always had to prove it's worth as they never represented a good bang for your $

What is noticeable there are far more innovations, options and multi used devices popping up in the Windows world where Apple simply cannot or refuse to compete even in the premium ranges

If Apple actually updated its products a bit more often I suspect you would equally see a rise in flaws, haven knows there is plenty to share around on MR for the new MBP ,they are no different to any other OEM in this respect.

Reactions: jblagden

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Err do not think so

Apple got away with high prices as you note due to there sticky, shooting fish in a barrel, eco

There has always been premium/high priced Laptops on both OS's it's nothing new or some lull by Apple facilitating this

Apple equally has and always had to prove it's worth as they never represented a good bang for your $

What is noticeable there are far more innovations, options and multi used devices popping up in the Windows world where Apple simply cannot or refuse to compete even in the premium ranges

If Apple actually updated its products a bit more often I suspect you would equally see a rise in flaws, haven knows there is plenty to share around on MR for the new MBP ,they are no different to any other OEM in this respect.
Apple showed that good design mattered to the consumer and that you can use good design as a key differentiator in the PC market and escape commoditisation. Their Macs were expensive, but at least when I spend $2k on a Mac computer, I get a computer which looks and works like a $2k desktop.

The problem with windows PCs was that only until recently, they consisted largely of crappy hardware loaded with crappy software and tons of bloatware, backed up with crappy aftersales support. None of which justified the premium prices manufacturers dared to charge for them.

There is still a very long way to do before I am tempted back into the windows ecosystem, but the gulf between Macs and windows PCs is definitely less than 4-5 years ago.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
they consisted largely of crappy hardware
I disagree with that assessment

Its well known that if you wanted play games on a computer, you would be better served with a Windows machine over a Mac. I agree bloatware can be and to an extent is an issue. Microsoft at times shot themselves in the foot as well with Windows but I think blanket statements saying that PC had crappy hardware and the macs didn't is completely false.

For years Macs had anemic GPUs, I mean this dates back to the PPC days when Apple down clocked the GPUs to make them cooler and those GPUs were not top of the line ones either. There's still an after market for people reflashing PC video cards to work in Mac Pros - that doesn't sound like crappy hardware when Mac users want what's in PCs.

Speaking of GPUs, Apple has had a long track record of laptops failing because of dGPUs, 2008 to 2011, so I think its safe to assume that there are many good examples of PCs having better hardware and plenty of examples of where Apple didn't

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Apple showed that good design mattered to the consumer and that you can use good design as a key differentiator in the PC market and escape commoditisation. Their Macs were expensive, but at least when I spend $2k on a Mac computer, I get a computer which looks and works like a $2k desktop.

The problem with windows PCs was that only until recently, they consisted largely of crappy hardware loaded with crappy software and tons of bloatware, backed up with crappy aftersales support. None of which justified the premium prices manufacturers dared to charge for them.

There is still a very long way to do before I am tempted back into the windows ecosystem, but the gulf between Macs and windows PCs is definitely less than 4-5 years ago.
Still do not think we are eye to eye on this :)

I think your mixing design more with aesthetics Apple certainly popularised Ali Unibody and some minimalist aspects but there are plenty of leading edge designs from other OEM's over the years with innovations and unique aesthetics. Agreed its a strong selling point for MACs and helps to justify cost and possible other short comings

I doubt any OEM laptop can compete against an equivalent priced desktop.

Most would not ague for $ for bang value of MAC's (other than some belief they last longer) and that has never been the whole apple of Apple :D to suggest similar premium windows laptops consist of crappy hardware is daft. As for crappy software numbers tell us otherwise outside of niche requirements or personal preference. Apple excel in support but do not think this and all those shops and assistants etc come free, you pay for it whether you use them or not and their value is probably higher for US and some European countries than others.

Personally I never perceived a gulf between premium products as you simply choose the right device for your workflow if your not OS restricted

Apple make excellent products as do other OEM's however there are more options out there now than classic clamshells

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Stop drinking the coolaid, Apple doesn't "own" and have NEVER "dominated" the market share in Any PC Segment. They do well in phones and tablets. Do a simple google search before posting nonsense. I'm even going to link to a clearly bias source for you and the headline is STILL slanted. http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...as-windows-continues-to-cede-share-to-the-mac
Apple has something like 90% of the market for PCs over $1000. It's a small slice, to be sure, but they dominate that part of the market.

greenmeanie

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
AmigaWarez
I have TOUCHSCREEN on my Razor and never use it and hate it.

I've been a Mac user for over 10 years because they were awesome.
The MBP is proving Apple is running for profit and not innovation.
Here's some key differences between SurfaceBook and MBP:
  • SB - 16 hours of battery life. MBP - 10 hour. In reality, SB is a little less with pro usage, but MBP is only about 2 to 3 hours. Pathetic.
  • SB - Has magsafe like connector for safety. MBP - got rid of Magsafe, one of the best inventions ever. This is ridiculous.
  • SB - Has touchscreen. Once you use it you never go back. MBP - no touch screen, but has touch bar, that once you use it, you tend to avoid it.
  • SB - Has detachable screen, where when detached, the OS changes into a tablet mode making it great for simple things like games, email, and browsing. MBP - can't detach screen, so if you wan't a tablet, it need to buy an expensive iPad. Obvious money grab.
  • SB - Has the option for Nvidia GPU, which is great for CUDA developement, which I do. MBP - does not offer this option. So stuck with non CUDA development.
Please let me know if I'm being over critical, but please justify you reasoning. Remember, I was a hard core Mac lover, and Apple makes more money than anyone, so there's no reason that Apple should be 4 years behind the competition. Tim Cook may be fantastic at organizing production, but he would be fired if Steve Job's came back to life for what he has done to the company. Yes, the stock is good, but that cause the company is running for profit. It won't last.

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
And your remark is trolling. Look into the iPad forums to see how many people work with iPads. Calling it a toy also shows you haven't even used the pencil and iPad Pro. Lastly, a full version of Windows, regardless of the version, is really a no brainer. No brain would want that crap.
Hate to break it to you but it is a toy. Even the Surface Pro can do industry work such as hardware design on the go full blown photoshop on the go, architecture. Maybe you're the troll?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Hate to break it to you but it is a toy. Even the Surface Pro can do industry work such as hardware design on the go full blown photoshop on the go, architecture. Maybe you're the troll?

Hilarious. Of course the iPad is a toy because if doesn't run Photoshop. Like we "Pro's" in the industry measure everything in the availability of Photoshop, because so many people make a living from it.
Good luck explaining that train if thought to a Linux user.

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Hilarious. Of course the iPad is a toy because if doesn't run Photoshop. Like we "Pro's" in the industry measure everything in the availability of Photoshop, because so many people make a living from it.
Good luck explaining that train if thought to a Linux user.
Huh? What does this have to do with Linux? Doesn't make you special if you use Linux if that's what you're trying to imply.

Reactions: Demo Kit

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Huh? What does this have to do with Linux? Doesn't make you special if you use Linux if that's what you're trying to imply.

No, that's not my point. The availability of Photoshop doesn't make a system a toy though either, example Linux. The forum is full of examples where iPads are used for work. It might not work for everyone, which I think is well established too. Calling it a toy is just a provocative exaggeration.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Photoshop isn't the be-all and end-all of what constitutes real work.

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
Microsoft is starting from a small base, so percentages don't mean as much. It will be interesting to see how Mac sales fared last quarter, as well as how they do in the current quarter, now that the MacBook Pro has been updated.

So it's like 2 racers at the starting line. The gunshot & Microsoft is 50 feet ahead when it looks back & sees Mac hasn't it's one shoe on. So it waits patiently until Mac is ready & dips it toe past the starting line to resume running?

Seems to me Apple should have been ready for this race.
[doublepost=1485740376][/doublepost]
No matter how much you polish a turd, it will always be a turd.

Keep on polishing, Microsoft.

And you keep polishing your dongles collection.
[doublepost=1485740563][/doublepost]
just speaking on the surface line only. If it is that good, why don't they ever release the actual numbers of unit sold.

Why does Apple list Apple Watch under "Misc."? When things are spectacular, you boast. When their just very good, a company can spin.

Reactions: BeforeTheMeds

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So it's like 2 racers at the starting line. The gunshot & Microsoft is 50 feet ahead when it looks back & sees Mac hasn't it's one shoe on. So it waits patiently until Mac is ready & dips it toe past the starting line to resume running?

Seems to me Apple should have been ready for this race.
[doublepost=1485740376][/doublepost]

And you keep polishing your dongles collection.
[doublepost=1485740563][/doublepost]

Why does Apple list Apple Watch under "Misc."? When things are spectacular, you boast. When their just very good, a company can spin.

Mac is a cash cow now. PCs are not a growing market.

As for Apple Watch it always was intended as ancillary revenue. Cook was under pressure to release something and it was low hanging fruit. It is telling that they and Samsung are the last 2 major players left. Watches are ancillary revenue to phones.

Reactions: Cloudkicker

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Apple,add at least 1 extra USB port to the 12 Inch Macbook and Replace at least 1 of the USB-C ports of the new MBP with standard USB.

or indeed MANY will ditch Macbooks and swith to Surface.

It's just stupid and no one can defend these wrong design decisions.

What you consider wrong I consider a good design decision. We can't keep holding on to old technology when much better technology is out there. USB-c brings along many benefits. You now have a truly universal port (4 of them) that can adapt to anything.

I seriously don't get why people are angry about this. Want to plug a USB-2 device in? Go for it! All you need is a cable (or adapter). Need to power your laptop from the other side? Go for it! All ports are universal. Need to drive two different types of monitors? No problem, just use an adapter and two of your ports. No need to worry if you only have one video port.

Sure there's some super minor inconvenience in using an adapter or a cable but its nothing in my opinion to having four universal ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.