Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As expected, Microsoft today discontinued its Cortana mobile app. As a result, the company has ended all support for third-party Cortana skills and eliminated the Cortana app for iOS and Android devices.

cortana-ios-twitter.jpg

For those unfamiliar with Cortana, it is Microsoft's version of Siri or Alexa, an AI-based personal assistant that can answer questions and complete small tasks. The eponymous mobile app was originally launched in November 2018, but apparently never gained a user base big enough in its short lifetime for Microsoft to consider it worth maintaining.

As explained in a Microsoft support page, from today, March 31, the mobile app is no longer supported, and reminders and lists are no longer available within the app either, although they can still be accessed through Cortana in Windows. Also, Cortana reminders, lists, and tasks are automatically synced to the Microsoft To Do app, which is available as a free download on iOS and Android.

The planned shutdown of the apps was announced in July 2020, when Microsoft said it would be shifting toward a "transformational AI-powered assistant experience" in its Microsoft 365 apps, which would involve refocusing its "areas of innovation and development."

The company has since improved Cortana's integration in Microsoft 365, such as introducing personalized, actionable briefs in Outlook for Exchange users, and adding Cortana to the Teams mobile app to do things like manage calendars, email, and join meetings.

In January 2021, Microsoft ended support for the Cortana integration in the Harman Kardon Invoke speaker, and created a Bluetooth-enabled device transition plan for Invoke owners to be able to continue listening to their favorite music, podcasts, and radio stations. In addition, speaker owners who used Cortana are also eligible for a $50 Microsoft gift card, which is redeemable up to July 31, 2021.

Article Link: Microsoft Shuts Down Cortana App for iOS and Android

• Haha
Reactions: DeepIn2U and qoop

gmarm

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Berlin
No wonder since Apple won't allow third party assistants (or music apps, or maps apps, etc) to be set as defaults.

This is typical Apple unfair competition.

I hope this more general issue is addressed soon by regulations.

Not that anyone will miss Cortana anyway though. ?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
In other words, they didn’t obtain too much information from data harvesting from those devices. Now fully shut it down from pc’s as well.
I don’t see anybody liking it. It really annoys me as it starts yapping even when you on the first set up screen when you just did a fresh install of Windows 10. Muted it, then I remove it from the task bar. For all the years being a Windows user, I have not found anything useful of Cortana.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It was great while it lasted. Just another thing (it is getting to be a long list) that Microsoft screwed up.

An AI service that didn’t have native integration with the rest of the OS was always doomed to fail. Microsoft has a strong desktop computing platform, but they have virtually no smartphone presence, which is where a digital assistant makes the most sense (due to how cumbersome many tasks still are to perform on mobile compared to a desktop).

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
This is Microsoft....windows RT, windows 10S, windnows phone,cortana, surface duo...a lot of software/hardware that dont see the light for 3 years ..whats next try Microsoft?

Reactions: subi257

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I always champion competition because it’s good for consumers, but eventually/ultimately the market/consumers decide, and Darwinism will take hold leaving only one or two dominant players to control the market and be viable.

Last edited:

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Cortana was never true competition to Siri on the iPhone. The fact that Cortana could not be used without launching an app first made it DOA, and I think everyone here knew that.

It was nothing more than a glorified reminders/calendar app. I really don’t know what a Microsoft was thinking, but they should stick with their Office apps on mobile for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.