Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Interesting. At risk of taking this even more off topic I would be interested in your reasoning behind this.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Pages/home.aspx If Billy G ever earns his Nobel Prize I cannot imagine how this place will respond.

I think he meant with respect to tech.

At least since 2001 Apple has been far, far more influential than MS or any other tech company. Our generation is dominated by Apple. And much of that is due to Steve Jobs' vision.

As for Gates . . . good for him. Then again, it's downright easy to "give" when you have billions. Especially when your "generosity" is picked up by the press. There are millions upon millions of individuals giving of themselves, their time, their energy, who have very little and who do it at great cost to themselves, without any publicity or fanfare.

layte

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I think he meant with respect to tech.

At least since 2001 Apple has been far, far more influential than MS or any other tech company. Our generation is dominated by Apple. And much of that is due to Steve Jobs' vision.

As for Gates . . . good for him. Then again, it's downright easy to "give" when you have billions. Especially when your "generosity" is picked up by the press. There are millions upon millions of individuals giving of themselves, their time, their energy, who have very little and who do it at great cost to themselves, without any publicity or fanfare.

Ah the ol' he already has billions so what does it matter routine. How wonderfully churlish and not all that unexpected.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Ah the ol' he already has billions so what does it matter routine. How wonderfully churlish and not all that unexpected. How pathetic.

Well lets be realistic here. I know a lot of people who volunteer countless hours, who donate money to whatever causes they can. These people have very little yet give so much. Where is their spotlight? Where is their news coverage? It doesn't exist. Millions of people give up their time and money to help others, but only those who give a lot of money get attention when in reality they not the only person doing what they can to help.

If you had billions upon billions of dollars and you just sat on it, you would be a prick. Hell, I'm a college student with tuition bills up the yin yang yet I still donate money to some causes as well as my time. Where is my praise?

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle. It's got nothing to do with receiving credit for your generosity, rather using your privileged position to draw attention to something you feel is important.

I'm sure you personally don't give to charities to receive praise. I'd imagine Bill is the same. Believe it or not you most likely have something in common.

layte

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Well lets be realistic here. I know a lot of people who volunteer countless hours, who donate money to whatever causes they can. These people have very little yet give so much. Where is their spotlight? Where is their news coverage? It doesn't exist. Millions of people give up their time and money to help others, but only those who give a lot of money get attention when in reality they not the only person doing what they can to help.

If you had billions upon billions of dollars and you just sat on it, you would be a prick. Hell, I'm a college student with tuition bills up the yin yang yet I still donate money to some causes as well as my time. Where is my praise?
:rolleyes:
Ah the ol' he already has billions so what does it matter routine. How wonderfully churlish and not all that unexpected.
Fact is, as a person, Gates is far more deserving of praise than Jobs' will ever be, and thanks to the legacy left by his foundation will be remembered long after peoples response will be Steve who?

Trying to cure Malaria or a few shiny tech gadgets. One leaves a lasting impression. Bill can use his wealth and fame to bring to the spotlight on to many causes that would otherwise be toiling away in silence. Anyone who thinks he does it for the recognition is fooling themselves.

(I now await being labelled a Microsoft shill or some other childish nonsense, not that I care as I have said my piece)

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
:rolleyes:

Fact is, as a person, Gates is far more deserving of praise than Jobs' will ever be, and thanks to the legacy left by his foundation will be remembered long after peoples response will be Steve who?

Trying to cure Malaria or a few shiny tech gadgets. One leaves a lasting impression. Bill can use his wealth and fame to bring to the spotlight on to many causes that would otherwise be toiling away in silence. Anyone who thinks he does it for the recognition is fooling themselves.

(I now await being labelled a Microsoft shill or some other childish nonsense, not that I care as I have said my piece)

I agree that Bill has done a lot more to help people in this world than Steve has. But that isn't to say that Steve has been sitting on his thumb collecting money and not doing anything. Or maybe he has, who knows.

Now if we could only get Bill to toss some of his money into the US economy, we would be set.

If I were Bill Gates, I would donate some money to help causes, but spend the rest building a Death Star. Think about it, he would be the first person in history to ever build a real Death Star. Tons of people help by donating their money to good causes that save peoples lives and all that jazz. But where are the rich people who build insane things that we see in science fiction movies?

I guarantee that Bill would leave a much larger mark on society if he stopped giving to his foundation and started constructing a Death Star. First target? Apple HQ.

layte

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Well, yea that too would be awesome. Not too happy about the whole death star firing at the earth thing though...

Edit: What if it ran Windows for Battle Stations? Goodness knows what it would end up hitting.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Considering how ms has little need for extra retail outlets, Im guessing this is just for PR purposes...

Plus retail rent is down - so many stores going out-of-business. MS would be a welcomed tenant.

Samsung has their Experience showroom in Manhattan. No sales, just demos and stuff for kids and adults to use.

As for a Microsoft showroom...

I wouldn't mind being able to go down and play with a Surface table.

YES! They are quite fun. Sprint's Flagship store in KCMo (their hometown?) has a double one (two large ones put together for a Mega-Surface :eek:)!

I suspect we consumers will have to settle for Apple's new Tablet, though... :D

katananz

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2009
Oh please, getting the Nobel Prize is like getting a haircut in todays world. Big deal. If he gets the Super Nobel Prize of Awesomeness, maybe people will react as you expect.

You're probably only saying that. If Steve Jobs won one, you'd probably be in Europe to kiss his feet and fawn over the amazing accomplishment of getting the prize.

lex750

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
DOOM!... LOL!

21944251.jpg

Quicksilver00X

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2009
^^
Why is the Bing logo up there? Is Bing going to be some part of the store?

Are they selling Bing?

What's going on here?

G58

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
Looking straight on - and every which way

Oh deary deary me, you're not much of a student of the human psyche are you BillyBobBongo?

First of all, Bill Gates has the kind of personality that finds it difficult to interact with others [always has], whilst at the same time craving attention. He NEEDS to be liked, yet for him, the worst possible state of affairs exists: he's universally despised - even in the country that celebrates the SIZE of one's wealth above everything else, including decency and integrity. It takes a special kind of genius to achieve that, but Bill has - and we all know how.

This is the man that can afford to buy anything, and for the past 30 years in business, he has bought everything he needed to make his business successful. Not created it, as he likes to pretend, but bought it... everything from the core of his OS to every competitor that threatened his dominance of the market. Everything else he stole.

It's impossible to believe that he doesn't know that behind those fawning smiles and handshakes isn't a barrage of resentful sneers that say: "Yes Bill, but you made it all by ripping us off, selling us crap and getting us addicted to it!"

So, if you genuinely believe Bill isn't now trying to buy a Nobel Prize, you're not living on the same planet as the rest of us. Do you really believe a legacy that reads: "The Man Who Gave us Vista" will satisfy him?

And btw this isn't my theory, it's the accepted account of the top echelons of US society too - where of course this kind of BS is considered normal.

I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle. It's got nothing to do with receiving credit for your generosity, rather using your privileged position to draw attention to something you feel is important.

I'm sure you personally don't give to charities to receive praise. I'd imagine Bill is the same. Believe it or not you most likely have something in common.

layte

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Oh deary deary me, you're not much of a student of the human psyche are you BillyBobBongo?

First of all, Bill Gates has the kind of personality that finds it difficult to interact with others [always has], whilst at the same time craving attention. He NEEDS to be liked, yet for him, the worst possible state of affairs exists: he's universally despised - even in the country that celebrates the SIZE of one's wealth above everything else, including decency and integrity. It takes a special kind of genius to achieve that, but Bill has - and we all know how.

This is the man that can afford to buy anything, and for the past 30 years in business, he has bought everything he needed to make his business successful. Not created it, as he likes to pretend, but bought it... everything from the core of his OS to every competitor that threatened his dominance of the market. Everything else he stole.

It's impossible to believe that he doesn't know that behind those fawning smiles and handshakes isn't a barrage of resentful sneers that say: "Yes Bill, but you made it all by ripping us off, selling us crap and getting us addicted to it!"

So, if you genuinely believe Bill isn't now trying to buy a Nobel Prize, you're not living on the same planet as the rest of us. Do you really believe a legacy that reads: "The Man Who Gave us Vista" will satisfy him?

And btw this isn't my theory, it's the accepted account of the top echelons of US society too - where of course this kind of BS is considered normal.

If you honestly believe what you posted, and are not just playing up to the crowd then I pity you. :(

G58

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2008
Oh dear, here's another William Jesus Gates disciple

Try studying a subject before firing off ill-considered responses at people who have. You'll sound less naive.

And if you possess the capacity for original investigation, there are countless anecdotes out there from people who've studied Gates, or have worked with him.

Finally, it's a common known fact that there is a time honoured tradition of America's top industrialists paving their way to a more favourable legacy [after a life of good character] through philanthropy. And what passes for sincerity in the USA willingly acknowledges this.

If you honestly believe what you posted, and are not just playing up to the crowd then I pity you. :(

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

I bet you wouldn't be saying that if he had built his empire ripping off YOUR stuff.

I don't care if the guy donates a trillion dollars. His fortune was built off the innovation and creative thinking of others. I can't think of a single thing MS pioneered. Geez, they even acquired DOS for crying out loud. They are a two-bit company without an original thought in their collective heads and they deserve any bit of scorn that comes their way.

Some of the greatest business weasels that have ever existed.

But hey, maybe that's just me.

Target362

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
I bet you wouldn't be saying that if he had built his empire ripping off YOUR stuff.

I don't care if the guy donates a trillion dollars. His fortune was built off the innovation and creative thinking of others. I can't think of a single thing MS pioneered. Geez, they even acquired DOS for crying out loud. They are a two-bit company without an original thought in their collective heads and they deserve any bit of scorn that comes their way.

its you.

Apple has been know to copy others to...

tsroonney

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009

According to CNET, Microsoft has confirmed that it has signed leases for upcoming retail stores in Scottsdale, Arizona and Mission Viejo, California. The stores are among the first in Microsoft's retail store initiative that is planned to directly compete with Apple's retail stores in a number of locations beginning later this year.According to a presentation from Microsoft's retail consultant leaked last week, concepts for the stores include an "Answer Bar" or "Guru Bar" similar to Apple's Genius Bar, large digital media walls presenting dynamic information and images, and themed "stage areas" for various Microsoft technologies utilizing "Surface" multi-touch tables for interactive experiences.

100735-microsoft_store.jpg

Microsoft has reportedly hired former Apple real estate chief George Blankenship as a consultant to assist the company with securing locations for its new retail stores.

Article Link: Microsoft Signs Leases to Open Retail Stores in Arizona and California

Can you give some more sample question and answers. How great your info is! It really useful for me. Thanks.

comparatif simulation taux pret auto - taux pret auto differe selon la prise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.comparatif simulation taux pret auto

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008

I think this post just put you to the top of my comedy accounts list.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
You're probably only saying that. If Steve Jobs won one, you'd probably be in Europe to kiss his feet and fawn over the amazing accomplishment of getting the prize.
Nah. I don't like traveling, and really don't care about Steve Jobs. Sure we share the same first name, but apart from that he has done nothing for me personally, so why care about him. Yeah, his company has made products that change my life every day at work and at home, but beyond that, nada.

^^
Why is the Bing logo up there? Is Bing going to be some part of the store?

Are they selling Bing?

What's going on here?

They needed to make it look like the store had a lot to offer by adding more 'products' to the privacy boards.

Windows 7 - Product showcase? Support? Maybe interesting.
Office - Product showcase? Support? Sounds boring...

Bing - lame

Zune - lame

Xbox 360 - Isn't Gamestop, Target, Best Buy, etc already a 360 store?

Honestly, and I am trying to not have bias, but this sounds like a very boring store.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I think this post just put you to the top of my comedy accounts list.

Sad thing, a lot of it is true. Jobs and Wozniak gave us Consumer computers. A (Cheap, Lisa got taken off Jobs) mouse and GUI system. Pushed CDs and USB. Contributes a lot to the Open Source scene. (CUPS, GCC, GDB etc)

Gates and Ballmer gave us what? Office! Duh. Office was on Mac before windows. :p

Sorry fanboys.

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Sad thing, a lot of it is true. Jobs and Wozniak gave us Consumer computers. A (Cheap, Lisa got taken off Jobs) mouse and GUI system. Pushed CDs and USB. Contributes a lot to the Open Source scene. (CUPS, GCC, GDB etc)

Gates and Ballmer gave us what? Office! Duh. Office was on Mac before windows. :p

Sorry fanboys.

Commodore gave us consumer computers and Xerox PARC gave us the GUI and mouse. Sorry fanboy :p And pushed CD's? Really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.