Microsoft Surface Presentation Copied iPad Presentation in 2010

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iRobby, Jun 20, 2012.

1. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

The folks at ReadWriteWeb put together this video mash-up of Microsoft’s press conference with Steve Jobs’s iPad introduction in 2010. Man, looking at Steve Jobs and Steve Ballmer side-by-side—it’s like looking in a mirror. Well, a terrifying funhouse mirror, anyway.

Watch the comparison video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSj8GUZDuac

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Pretty nice work there :)

To be honest, there is a lot of overlap, but it is very telling how much in common the presentations have
    Of course, it is much more telling when it is cherry picked and placed side by side

Still, it isn't surprising :)

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

Who cares, this is an iPad forum not Microsoft. :p

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Heh.

I bet you could do the same kind of mashup between any new computer presentation, and one of those hour long Home Shopping Network ads for electronics.

They all show off the device, its size, its price, its features, its connections, and the way it will change your life forever.

Marketing 101.

5. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Really? Like Apple hasn't copied other companies. Everyone does it not sure why it's such a big deal

6. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

so what's the point of this? companies always copy off each other, everyone sees what works and if it can't be improved upon it's replicated. sometimes it's improved, like this:

[​IMG]

7. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

So true

8. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

You have a lot of faith when so little was revealed about the device.

Personally, I see a heck of a lot of confusion coming this fall.

By the way, learn to use "their."

Michael

9. iRobby, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

iRobby thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Hate to tell you but if it has ports it's a mini laptop not a tablet. You want the external keyboard and since the Surface is already 10+" then you want a 11" MacBook Air or if you are anti Apple go for an ultra book

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

I especially like at time index 0:50 where he goes...

"Woops... hang on a... what... ahh... excuse me just a second... Surface works great for entertainment."

11. -TYLER macrumors regular

12. irDigital0l Guest

They're both showing their own product...

Grow up.

13. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

For one that picture doesn't make much sense. Microsoft's tablet in the early 2000s was nothing like iPad. It was just a regular Windows PC with added pen support. I have a friend who claimed he knew exactly how iPad would work since he was familiar with the HP TC1100 (a pretty popular Windows tablet PC back in the days) Boy, his face changed fast when he actually tried iPad.

14. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

NONE of these points you listed are valid for iPad owners. If they were, there would not be millions of iPads sold thus far. Microsoft can promise you anything. In the end, true pioneers and innovators prevail. You don't have anything to worry about if you are in apple's position. They did not make it to what they are today overnight.

Microsoft on the other hand is a copy cat company who's success relied on nothing more than copying and OS ubiquity. Just having steve ballmer laugh at an iPhone 2G when it was first unveiled on TV is a clear sign this company is led on by a complete baffoon.

I personally did not buy an iPad to install microsoft office nor will I ever find the need to. I also do not require all these usb ports, docking ports, etc. And I do not need a (physical) keyboard.

Ultimately "in the end", the company that is a true innovator will always "win". You can copy to your hearts content because there are new stuff that will be out that will make the old stuff look "old". And that's coming from apple.

15. iEvolution macrumors 65816

LOL, I like Apple's products but you're fan boy blind if you think Apple is a true innovator.
    iPod, already were mp3 players 4 years before hand.
    iPad, tablets were already made before Apple did it.
    iPhone, multi-touch already invented before Apple introduced the iPhone.
    Macs, already PCs.
    GUI, Xerox 8010 SIS is the first computer to use a GUI centered interface.

Apple is a company that has taken existing concepts, simplified them, made products with something other than cheap plastic and had genius marketing to make sales.

16. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

No price.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Wasn't the Apple II one of the first PCs? And the Mac was the first PC to use GUI -- yes Xerox developed the GUI but they never offered it on a PC.

It's the simplifying part that is hard. Just see how Microsoft Surface is a more complicated device than the iPad, despite having a simplified model to copy off of. It's human nature to want to add clutter, and it takes tremendous will power and discipline to avoid them.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Bentley didn't invent the automobile but that company sure makes some great cars. Innovation has always been about improving upon someone else's design.

I've seen Apple-style presentations everywhere for all different purposes. Everyone wants to be Steve Jobs these days it seems. :)

19. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

:rolleyes:

can you please show me this definition of a tablet that says it cant have ports? lol

20. yourtoys7 macrumors 6502a

21. TheKricket macrumors member

I'm not sure what type of logic this is - but I hope it's not spreading...

I would love a USB port on my iPad (plug in a camera, a game controller, HD, etc) - I have no idea how that would magically turn it into a laptop. It would just make it more functional than it already is.

22. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

Thank you! I love how everyone skips over that gem. All the tech blog sites are going crazy over a product that froze, has no price, release date or specs.

23. jojoba, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

jojoba macrumors 68000

Yep, a USB port and MO integration would be pretty good. I work in a MO environment, so all collaborative writing is done in MO documents. A USB-port would mean that I could go to conferences with my iPad only, without taking my MBA along. I still love my iPad without it, but both of those things would enhance my work flow to some degree.

It's hard to say much about the Surface without more info. Depending on what it looks like when it's out, I might get one for my husband - I know he would really like a tablet with MO integration.

24. TheKricket, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

TheKricket macrumors member

I'd like to preface this by saying that I LOVE my iPad - and, actually, all of my Apple products...

...but if you think that Apple has never had an on-stage technical glitch - on par (or even far worse) with this one, then you need to go back and rewatch a lot of the announcements...

EDIT - I don't think anyone skips over it - they just know that these things happen during these types of events (VERY common in the tech industry)...

One glaring issue was when Steve Jobs himself couldn't connect to network on his brand spankin new device - and had to ask everyone in the audience to shut off their WiFi - that was WAY worse than what happened here. At least MS had a backup plan in place - and the issue was over within seconds...

I was watching that keynote - and did it make me think twice about the product? Of course not - it's a pre-production model. I don't care what happens on stage - I care about how it works when it launches (most likely, months after the announcement).

25. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Are there any other ways to introduce products? I'd love to hear!

Please. I am not optimistic about Surface, but I am not childish to the point of thinking that everything the competitor does copies Apple.