MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ces_logo-150x95.jpg

Following Apple's lead in pulling out of Macworld Expo several years ago, Microsoft today announced that next month's keynote presentation at CES in Las Vegas will be the company's last at the major consumer electronics show.

In its announcement, Microsoft cites many of the same factors addressed by Apple as reasons for its ending of trade show participation. Most notably, trade shows have become less relevant for new product announcements given the increasing connectedness and interactivity offered by the Internet and social media, and in many cases the scheduled nature of trade shows imposes undesired rigidity on timeframes for new product announcements.
Our industry moves fast and changes faster. And so the way we communicate with our customers must change in equally speedy ways. To ensure it does, we constantly challenge our assumptions. For example:

- What's the right time and place to make announcements?
- Are we adjusting to the changing dynamics of our customers?
- Are we doing something because it's the right thing to do, or because "it's the way we've always done it"?
Microsoft points to its own media and developer events, social media tools, and even its retail stores as venues for connecting with customers that provide better opportunities than trade show keynotes.

Microsoft will maintain a presence at CES going forward with its employees attending the event, but the company will no longer participate in the opening keynote as it has routinely done, and will not sponsor a booth on the exhibition floor after 2012.

Article Link: Microsoft to End Participation in CES Keynotes After 2012

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Microsoft copying Apple strategy. What's new?

Too bad the Redmond copy machines don't realize that Apple and MS have different target audiences.

Comment

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Good, I generally don't care that a software maker(Microsoft) is at CES. I want to see innovative hardware...

Comment

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
Wow Microsoft getting classy and not participating in a show full of junk technology prototypes that never see the light of day.

Comment

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Microsoft copying Apple strategy. What's new?

Too bad the Redmond copy machines don't realize that Apple and MS have different target audiences.

Wait apple owns that strategy? Did they patent that too? :rolleyes:

Comment

bitWrangler

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
Good, I generally don't care that a software maker(Microsoft) is at CES. I want to see innovative hardware...

Uh, when was the last time that you've seen innovative hardware that didn't involve software? In this day and age, even hvac thermostats run OS's. A software manufacturer may not be center stage, but software is becoming increasingly important, much more so than the hardware itself in many cases.

Comment

fortify7

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
Huge difference when Apple pulled out of Macworld after 2009 it was as they were on a strong ascend in both mindshare, products and sales. When IBM chose the same approach for Comdex back around 2002, they were changing their business strategy. This is not a good move for Microsoft as they work hard to prove Windows Phone is a legitimate OS and while they face increased competition in their Xbox group from Sony and Apple. Apple doesn't need trade shows. If some unknown remote person at Apple sneezes in a back office at 3 Infinite Loop, it gets publicized. Microsoft needs focus. I've participated in many multi-million dollar Microsoft events and they have all sucked. I've been an Apple fan for quite some time. It amazes me how many people are so proud to confess to me that they just purchased their first Mac. They got an iPhone. They got an iPad. I don't think Microsoft has a chance until Steve Balmer is ousted.

"We'll get a chance to go through this [Apple versus Microsoft debate] again in phones and music players. There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance. It's a $500 subsidized item. They may make a lot of money. But if you actually take a look at the 1.3 billion phones that get sold, I'd prefer to have our software in 60% or 70% or 80% of them, than I would to have 2% or 3%, which is what Apple might get." Steve Balmer, April 2007

Comment

transmaster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
When I look at these shows I keep thinking about the scene in the 1st Batman movie where the Joker was walking along looking at paintings commenting "crap...crap....crap....crap". I can see him walking down the line of booths exibiting new products saying the same thing.

Comment

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apple will sue them for this lol.

Comment

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Microsoft points to its own media and developer events, social media tools, and even its retail stores as venues for connecting with customers that provide better opportunities than trade show keynotes.

Retail stores as venues for connecting with customers that provide better opportunities to hand out free concert tickets. no?!!!... ;):D:rolleyes:
/
/
/

Comment

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Saying they were following Apple's lead is a little disingenuous. The entire trend in trade shows has been that they are down. For example, an article from 2009:

http://www.smartmeetings.com/event-planning-magazine/2009/12/trade-shows-down-but-not-out

Joel Spolsky has a few write ups on the subject as well. My take is that he is generally positive towards Tech conferences so long as you go there with a real purpose and do it right.

My personal experience with trade shows (not computer related) is that they are expensive to go to, expensive to show at, and really just net you some feel good factor with your clients/vendors (if they show up)... unless you're big enough to get some media pull.... which means you're big enough to get media pull wherever you intro a product.

Macworld and many of the conferences that MS still attends (and doesn't put on themselves) are relics of when both companies didn't have the resources and/or connections to put on a big show by themselves/on their own and they stuck with them for a while for various reasons. Likely the largest being, "don't fix what ain't broke." If they were younger companies that came around once the industry was better established, they'd probably just launch their own conference one they got really big. Google for example, does Google IO all by themselves, Facebook runs F8.

Really, why pull out a major chunk of change to have IDG Media or whoever put on an event for you where you don't run the show and then pay out the nose for hotels, accommodations, airfare, when you can get the same exact level of press coverage from your company's on site auditorium?

Last edited:
Comment

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Apple pulled out of Macworld years ago so it can run its own keynote events.

Yeah so now anyone who ever pulls out of a keynote is apparently copying Apple? I'd have a few things to call you if I didn't think it would get me banned. I'll put it as polite as possible: Stop being a silly little fanboy.

Comment

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Paul Thurrott will be thrilled about this!! He couldn't stand going to CES. Per his comments on TWiT (and I agree), big shows like CES really aren't necessary anymore for companies like Microsoft and Apple. They only serve to give these companies imaginary deadlines for when they need to have products ready to show. Apple wised up and said, "No, we're going to show you our stuff when we're ready." I think that's a smart mindset to have.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Personally, I don't hear about Microsoft products outside of CES and the real world... and they've been becoming a lot less common to hear about in the real world... so if they pull out of CES, I'd say I could almost pretend Microsoft just doesn't exist anymore. Almost. I'll probably still have to deal with people using their software at least until 2015...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.