Microsoft to Purchase Yahoo?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Reuters reports on rumors that have started circulating that Microsoft is in talks about acquiring Yahoo Inc.
Investment bank Goldman Sachs is advising on the process, the paper said. The bank declined to comment. One banking source said that investment banks had been pitching Microsoft on the idea of buying Yahoo for months.
Yahoo's stock has jumped up almost 18% in response to the rumors. According to the reports, the companies have held "informal" talks over the years, but this latest round comes after increasing competition from Google. Google recently acquired online advertising company DoubleClick Inc, which Microsoft was also pursuing. After the deal was made, Microsoft urged U.S. regulators to scrutinize the potential deal on anti-trust grounds.
"The minute you hear Microsoft start arguing against something on antitrust grounds, you know they are desperate and need to do something big," said one [NYPost] source.
While not directly Apple related news, the implications of a Microsoft-Yahoo acquisition would be far reaching.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Just goes to show how much the world has changed. Microsoft definitely sees Google as its biggest enemy/competitor.

arn

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Poor Yahoo

Oh well, that places Google in a MUCH higher light, with less competition on the innovative front.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds like a bad move for Yahoo rather than a good move for MS... although Yahoo doesn't seem to be doing that great anyway.

It sounds like a GOOD thing for us, since Microsoft is probably more Mac-friendly than Yahoo :)

I can see it now: MSN Search and HotMail on iPhones instead of Yahoo and Yahoo Mail :eek:

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Good, I'm glad. I don't like the way yahoo sets its stuff up, so if MS buys it they'll either totally remake it so it's a better service, or they'll totally remake it so yahoo uses only MS tech like they did with hotmail and make it worse so people will stop using yahoo as much and give other companies services a chance to compete.

Frohike

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Kent, England
What exactly does it mean by "The implications of the acquisition would be FAR REACHING"? I don't really get the far reaching part!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I hope this doesn't go through. The iPhone is going to use Yahoo! for mail services. Watch the availablity of the service go deliberately down the toilet if M$ buy the company.

EDIT: Or what kainjow said ;)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Just goes to show how much the world has changed. Microsoft definitely sees Google as its biggest enemy/competitor.

arn
IF this is true and goes ahead, will bring up the rumors of apple + google again

freezingmariner

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2006
F***, if that happens I'm dumping all my flickr photos and flickr can kiss my rear end goodbye. No way I'm letting Microsoft managing my creative work.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
yahoo email is also full of spam. worst mail filter out there.

and i use yahoo for their sports pages, i hope this isn't true...yahoo is still decent, and has one of the best im and fantasy sports out there....if ms takes over...

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN

arn
Definitely true, and Yahoo is Google's biggest enemy/competitor.

Not only that, but Yahoo is the only company that can catch Google on the "Internet OS" race. The entirely predicatble thing about this is that everything new Yahoo rolls out is a complete and utter ripoff of Google's implementation. Google is most certainly the pioneer in this field...

Sound familiar, Mac users?

Yahoo is to Google as Microsoft is to Apple.

-Clive

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
IF this is true and goes ahead, will bring up the rumors of apple + google again
No chance of that these days. Google is worth $108bn against Apple's $86bn. In contrast Microsoft is worth $298bn against Yahoo's $44bn.

Google can't afford Apple.

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
I highly, highly doubt either of these two would achieve any gain from acquiring each other. They're better off as business partners.

But you're probably right to a certain point: there WILL be rumors... :rolleyes:

-Clive

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Please remove this article from Macrumors

Please remove this article from Macrumors.

It seems as though someone has made an error. Thanks. :)

cshehadi

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2007
I certainly hope Apple has an option to opt out of Yahoo mail for the iPhone and replace it with what it should have.A .Mac account.
y'all know way more than me, but won't iPhone's OS X include Apple Mail and can't you use it to check your regular email account? iPhone may come with a free Yahoo account - but most won't use it? or am I polluting these boards with my ignorance. hope not.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Other than iPhone+Yahoo, really the only reason I care is that Yahoo owns Flickr, which I use quite a bit. I don't want Microsoft taking Flickr and screwing it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.