Microsoft Unveils New 'Edge' Browser to Replace Internet Explorer

DudeAbides59

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Microsoft seems to be the real innovator these days. The minimalist Metro design and touch friendly apps are very appealing.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I hope Apple wow me with as much OS X news at WWDC. Windows 10 looks really attractive right now.

Though tbh all Apple have to do is reduce OS X's footprint, and I'll be happily remain in the Mac camp. :)

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Cook and Ive's missteps in OS X and iOS are handing MSFT a big opportunity. The iPad has not gained much traction in enterprise or education and Apple seems to have lost its way for anything but consumer electronics. Laugh all you want, but the guys in Redmond are doggin' it, and they may just surprise some folks with a slew of new hardware and software products.

aceys

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
I hope Apple wow me with as much OS X news at WWDC. Windows 10 looks really attractive right now.

Though tbh all Apple have to do is reduce OS X's footprint, and I'll be happily remain in the Mac camp. :)
It's install footprint? I think it's down to under 10GB now... Or do you mean memory? RAM's cheap if you aren't maxed out :p I guess we have different things to look forward to in the next version.

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
Internet Explorer was a poor name choice, in that it sounds too much like Windows Explorer (because after all, it only runs on Windows). In our minds, we only hear the word Explorer, because we think "of course it runs on Windows." So people have trouble hearing you correctly when you say "Windows Explorer" - it can be challenging in support scenarios.

But Explorer itself is a good name - especially when it refers to the internet. They're going to loose all that name-recognition value that the world's most-used browser has built up over the years. It's not like it's been bad recently - the last few versions have actually been quite good.

Edge is starting all over. It means nothing, and is probably the worst name of any popular browser I can think of.

Microsoft and Apple are both loosing much of their direction and common sense. It's probably because the people in charge don't care enough. They want to make money, but they're not passionately involved.

Last edited:

eTronic

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2015
North Carolina
I'm actually impressed with the direction Microsoft has been going in lately. Edge looks really nice. I'll reserve judgement until I've had a chance to use it/develop websites on it. Windows 10 is seeming like a great overhaul in general. :)

DudeAbides59

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011

Windows management in OS X is terrible compared to Windows. OS X requires at least two clicks for every action that only requires one in Windows. Apple needs to hire a UX expert to make OS X more efficient and user friendly. And allow users to customize the interface with color! Black and white is boring.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Nice. Good to see MS actually doing some cool things and not just copying or coming up with "new ways" that no one really understands.

Good for them.

k1121j

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
Cook and Ive's missteps in OS X and iOS are handing MSFT a big opportunity. The iPad has not gained much traction in enterprise or education and Apple seems to have lost its way for anything but consumer electronics. Laugh all you want, but the guys in Redmond are doggin' it, and they may just surprise some folks with a slew of new hardware and software products.
yes and no well i agree Apple can do better in EDU and enterprise i don't think it maters much... its the general consumer market that got them were they are today MS has dominated the Enterprise market and its does not seem to be doing much for them as a whole.

But as LeVar Burton would say

Attachments

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
Microsoft Edge is a next-generation browser designed to replace Internet Explorer, but Internet Explorer will stick around as its used by many of Microsoft's Enterprise customers.
This is the part specifically that gave me cancer. Now we have IE and E :/

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I thought Craig Federighi ran software at Apple.

edgonzalez32

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Microsoft seems to be the real innovator these days. The minimalist Metro design and touch friendly apps are very appealing.
That doesn't mean a company is innovating. Yes their design language is very clean. The content becomes the focus without distracting UI elements. You can make the same argument about Google's material design, which I think is far better than Microsoft's Metro.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
Please Apple, step up your software design game! So many industrial design superstars at the company, but who there is pushing the bleeding edge of software?

Nobody beats Apple when it comes to hardware... but they're just getting crushed lately when it comes to consumer software design.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Over all Spartan (Edge now) is not a bad browser and much smoother that explorer. I would say that it works as good as chrome if not a little better.