Microsoft Unveils New 'Edge' Browser to Replace Internet Explorer

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Windows management in OS X is terrible compared to Windows. OS X requires at least two clicks for every action that only requires one in Windows. Apple needs to hire a UX expert to make OS X more efficient and user friendly. And allow users to customize the interface with color! Black and white is boring.
Learn to use the keyboard and hotkeys. It's much more effective. Also there are some nice applications that help with window management. Check out Window Tidy.

edgonzalez32

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Cook and Ive's missteps in OS X and iOS are handing MSFT a big opportunity. The iPad has not gained much traction in enterprise or education and Apple seems to have lost its way for anything but consumer electronics. Laugh all you want, but the guys in Redmond are doggin' it, and they may just surprise some folks with a slew of new hardware and software products.
I wouldn't say this is a missteps on Apple's part. I believe Jobs once said he knows they cannot beat Microsoft and I don't think that has ever been their point. They just want to make great products and they definitely make great consumer electronics.

Microsoft has dominated the enterprise market for such a long time. I can't see how Apple can make a dent in that area.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Still trying to get Microsofts strategy on its OS and apps these days. All that redesigning back and forth, rebranding and so on seems like aimless activism to me.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
Still trying to get Microsofts strategy on its OS and apps these days. All that redesigning back and forth, rebranding and so on seems like aimless activism to me.
But it's OK for Apple to do "All that redesigning back and forth, rebranding and so on seems like aimless activism"

Just look at the Apple product name changes over JUST the last 5 years.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Drawing pictures on the screen and circling content is not creating. That fact aside, does anyone want to do that? Draw on content on a site I mean. Honestly, I'm curious if anyone has a desire to do that. Just because it has no appeal to me doesnt mean its a total waste for someone else.

Thoughts?

DudeAbides59

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Learn to use the keyboard and hotkeys. It's much more effective. Also there are some nice applications that help with window management. Check out Window Tidy.
You mean CMD + another key and then maybe wait for a window and then click? Wasteful action, that's what I'm talking about. Keyboard shortcuts are still wasted key strokes and not intuitive.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Well, if I had a windows machine, I might have some interest. But I have nothing but Apple in my home and Explorer or Edge or whatever will not be getting loaded any time soon.

At work I have a windows 7 system running on a five year old laptop (i suffer this everyday). And we are still running Explorer 8. I have a rouge chrome browser that is the only thing that keeps me sane.

Bottom line, nice ad, but I doubt I will ever get to use it or even try it.

the8thark

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2011
Does this new browser finally use html5 and other open web standards or will MS keep insisting on using backward property codecs like silverlight?

Renzatic

Suspended
That's pretty par for the course for MS. They're like excited puppies over there, nixing old stuff for something entirely different, and change the names of said stuff about every other day.

This is one thing I'll definitely give the nod to Apple over. While their OSes might feel a little staid after awhile, especially in these EVERYTHING MUST BE NEW AND AWESOME AT ALL TIMES days, there's always a consistency there. You know what to expect, and you end up getting it.

But MS? The differences between Windows 7 to 8 to 10 can be pretty dramatic. I think this, moreso than anything, is what makes people cautious about upgrading to the latest version of the OS.

----------

Does this new browser finally use html5 and other open web standards or will MS keep insisting on using backward property codecs like silverlight?
It's all web standards. No Active X, no Silverlight, nothing. That's one of the things that makes it so damn good.

DudeAbides59

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Adding third party applications for better usability should not be necessary. I already purchased a simple window viewer (HyperDock) for $10 for window management that should have been built in to the OS.

=Alb=

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
I like edges

Give me them BACK! An also some color. And also some shadows. And, yes, even some skeuomorphism!

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
That's pretty par for the course for MS. They're like excited puppies over there, nixing old stuff for something entirely different, and change the names of said stuff about every other day.

This is one thing I'll definitely give the nod to Apple over. While their OSes might feel a little staid after awhile, especially in these EVERYTHING MUST BE NEW AND AWESOME AT ALL TIMES days, there's always a consistency there. You know what to expect, and you end up getting it.

But MS? The differences between Windows 7 to 8 to 10 can be pretty dramatic. I think this, moreso than anything, is what makes people cautious about upgrading to the latest version of the OS.

----------

It's all web standards. No Active X, no Silverlight, nothing. That's one of the things that makes it so damn good.
the problem is from Win 95 -> Windows 7, there was no dramatic fundamental change in the way Windows UI behaved.

Then Windows 8 was the first real dramatic shift. And people hated it for one reason or another.

Windows 10 is goign to go back more in line with Windows of old.

There's not a lot of "flip flopping" other than one failed attempted UI shift in 20 years.

Apple had a bigger shift in their OS in shorter time (OSx released in 2001). Difference was, OSx ... was nice. Win 8 UI really wasn't

bluespark

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
But it's OK for Apple to do "All that redesigning back and forth, rebranding and so on seems like aimless activism"

Just look at the Apple product name changes over JUST the last 5 years.
What? His point was about Microsoft, not Apple. He didn't even mention Apple. How is your post even remotely responsive to his point?

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
So they put a crude drawing tool into the browser. I'm sure there were a lot of high-fives in that meeting.

Browser itself looks adequate, though it's so minimal it feels more like a UX layout. I dig the page screenshot you get when hovering over a tab though.

hlevolve

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
Drawing pictures on the screen and circling content is not creating. That fact aside, does anyone want to do that? Draw on content on a site I mean. Honestly, I'm curious if anyone has a desire to do that. Just because it has no appeal to me doesnt mean its a total waste for someone else.

Thoughts?
I think when it is something that is "built in" and a large majority of computers have the ability to do so then yes I think it will become ubiquitous to use it. Will you use it all the time, every day? I doubt it but for someone who has a job researching or doing school projects or other things of that nature it could be really useful to highlight areas of a site that are important to the project or paper, research etc. Or to share with colleagues or other students to collaborate on projects. Some websites are very long, others are crammed full of information. Being able to circle or highlight a topic with tools such as this that are also common to other people using the same operating system would make it allot easier to share certain things you find. I'm all for making things easier. Drawing is a pretty simple concept so if it helps me quickly and easily share something and get my point across equally quickly then I think its pretty awesome.

Its when you have something like this that is a "plug in" that nobody else has that it becomes a bore. Because you can't collaborate unless the other people go download the plugin and you explain to each of them how to install it, set it up, etc. I dunno, I like the idea. There have been a few times I wanted to share something and I think with all of the website "share" buttons for twitter and other social sites there aren't enough built in "share" options to share information.

I really hope things like this greatly expand in the near future. Especially cross-platform. I don't know how many times I want to share a file from my work PC to my Apple iPhone or other devices and about the only option is to email it.... lame :/ [Partly because work blocks certain apps and other software, but if it was a built in part of the OS that worked cross-platform, they would probably be open to using it albeit with monitoring].

I guess that's the end of my book... I type fast so sorry I went on so long haha.

Renzatic

Suspended
Windows 10 is goign to go back more in line with Windows of old.

There's not a lot of "flip flopping" other than one failed attempted UI shift in 20 years.

Apple had a bigger shift in their OS in shorter time (OSx released in 2001). Difference was, OSx ... was nice. Win 8 UI really wasn't
Win10 is more a blending of the two, actually. It's a lot of new things done up so they look and act a little more like the old things. I've got it installed on a little janky laptop downstairs, and the only thing you say that's still roughly the same is File Explorer. Everything else is done up to fall in line with more modern standards.

Even the Control Panel is getting the cut, getting replaced by the far more streamlined, less cluttered Settings app. That's been around since, like Win95 at least.

As far as the history of Windows UIs go, the most in your face changes occurred with Win8, but MS has been moving hundreds of little things around behind the scenes for about forever now. Like I remember having to relearn quite a few bits and pieces when making the jump from Win98 to XP. Then having to do so again when jumping from XP to 7. To be honest about it, the difference between 7 and 8 are almost nil when you discount all the extra fluff Metro added on top of everything.