Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Microsoft's 365 Mac Apps Gain Native M1 Support

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today announced that it is releasing new updates for many of its Microsoft 365 for Mac apps to introduce native support for Apple's M1 MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini.

Core Office apps, including Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote are now able to run faster on M1 Macs. Microsoft has used the Universal app binary so the apps will also continue to run as normal on Intel Macs.

According to Microsoft, the updates are going out today, and users can check the Mac App Store, use AutoUpdate in a Microsoft app, or wait for an automatic update.

The updated Outlook for Mac app that's available today now includes support for iCloud accounts, allowing work and personal emails, contacts, and calendars in one app. This will be rolling out to Outlook for Mac users in the coming weeks.

Microsoft says that it is working to bring native M1 support to additional apps, including Teams for Mac. Microsoft has also been redesigning some of its Office for Mac apps with an updated Office Start experience for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote, and these updates will be available starting next month.

Update: Microsoft has also released a new version of its Visual Studio Code app that's designed for M1 Macs. It is available to those who participate in Microsoft's Insider program.

Article Link: Microsoft's 365 Mac Apps Gain Native M1 Support

Last edited:

MikeAnd

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
I look forward to updates running 50% faster. At least on a M1 Air there are no fans to activate.

Comment

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Probably because Teams is built on the Electron app framework, so it is a completely different development from the rest of the M365 Apps. It is disappointing, especially the native notifications.
the non-native notifications drives me absolutely inside. If I get an alert I have to click over and see what it is instead of knowing what it is. The crazy part is that Windows is the same way, non-native notifications.

Reactions: CheesePuff
Comment

Chompineer

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2020
Ontario
I have been running the beta version with arm support for about a week on my new MacBook Air. It runs smooth. Much much better than my work issued Dell laptop.

Serious issue with it though, data analysis tools on Excel don’t work. It crashes the app.

Will have to update and see if it’s fixed.

Edit: Analysis works.

Last edited:
Comment

LiE_

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2013
UK
It will be a glorious day when Teams runs as well on Mac as it does on iPad.

For now we have to put up with the terrible implementation of notifications in Teams.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
I don’t get why teams is not included in these updates. No native dark mode. No native notifications. Makes no sense.
Microsoft Teams is an Electron app. Electron 11.0.0 was released only few weeks ago (November 17) which supports M1. Microsoft is probably in testing or development phase that picks up Electron 11.

Comment

wood1208

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
It's kind of Gold rush. Race to run Apps natively on M1 to take advantage of higher M1 performance,longer battery life,etc.

Comment

Simmias

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
the non-native notifications drives me absolutely inside. If I get an alert I have to click over and see what it is instead of knowing what it is. The crazy part is that Windows is the same way, non-native notifications.
It may be wishful thinking, but I hope that being able to target all Apple platforms with one Swift/Universal Binary code base would be incentive for MS to build a fully native (not Electron) Teams app.

Comment

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
United States
Native notifications are coming soon for both Mac and Windows according to Microsoft’s own 365 Roadmap:
E60C44C0-1563-4558-BED9-84BA6ADF6795.jpeg

This indicates when the rollout will start, and generally end users start seeing the feature about a month after, so I’d say by end of January into February Teams should have native notifications all around.

Comment

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I have been running the beta version with arm support for about a week on my new MacBook Air. It runs smooth. Much much better than my work issued Dell laptop.
I love hearing this, XL kills our iMac when i leave it running. I need to remember - "get in, get out" for Office apps.

BUT, i'm excited to read about Outlook doing iCloud now, i for sure am going to have to try switching. I haven't used outlook in years.

Reactions: AppleFan1998
Comment

ikramerica

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2009
I'd prefer Visio and Project for Mac. I'd be nice to get off the VM.
Project hasn’t been Mac for soooo long I had forgotten about it. Used it in the 90s for lots of things, but had to move on. Luckily I am not dealing with a team that uses it.

Comment

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
I may be in the minority, but I prefer Office (specifically Outlook) on the Mac over Windows. This is great news as I intend to fully transition to a Mac once the Apple Silicon pro machines are released.

Comment

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Native notifications are coming soon for both Mac and Windows according to Microsoft’s own 365 Roadmap: View attachment 1694794
This indicates when the rollout will start, and generally end users start seeing the feature about a month after, so I’d say by end of January into February Teams should have native notifications all around.
Oh that's awesome. I didn't know this was on the way. I hope they include Windows in this eventually because I jump back and forth a lot. I wonder if I can push it out faster when it goes live since I'm a tenant admin...

Reactions: ELman
Comment

kmann1983

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2018
Now if only they can figure out Outlook and iCloud sync... or upgrade it.. or whatever needs to be done so I can fully get the rest of my family on iCloud, the few that use a PC.
Until then... I cry.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.