Microsoft's HoloLens Developer Edition Launches March 30 for $3,000

downpour

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
my take on VR: racists visiting third world countries they’d never have even considered before. homophobes experimenting with gay sex privately and without consequence. third world villagers becoming familiar with the rest of the world, inspiring ambitious tendencies and loftier goals than held previously.. learning. trying. doing things bravely and comfortably that would have been impossible before.

TV was papyrus and computers were the first tries in moveable type. VR is the Earth-shattering Gutenberg press.
For a start I think we need to make a better distinction between VR and AR as it is causing some confusion. Secondly your examples are all currently achievable with nothing more than a video camera, and have been for decades. Sure VR is more immersive, but anything truly realistic is still sci-fi and as distant a dream as it was back in the 90's.

While I agree it can be an impressive experience, as it stands VR offers nothing but a slightly more antisocial version of a next-gen console game... hardly the Gutenberg press.

I'm sure things will be different in the future, but we aren't there yet... and probably won't be for a long time.

I wouldn't be surprised if AI arrives first, and that really will be a game changer.

Reactions: Night Spring

Kevin2055

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2015
Thinner iPhone, bigger iPad, hired a new intern, fighting FBI

What else are they going to talk about? A new headphone jack again?

The Samsung threads have thousands and thousands of views. Getting the Apple faithful all hot and bothered is like printing ad revenue for MR.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
This has a much greater potential than the updated 90's quality VR that oculus, et al, is trying to push. At least it should be less nausea prone.

Until VR can interact with all your senses, AR is the next logical step over the clunky ski mask VR systems.

I'd rather see Apple work on a good AR implementation, than follow the current VR offerings.
Right... this is probably the most practical solution in this space, since you can still see the world around it. Instead of fooling the senses, it's allowing them to function.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Gotta admit, Samsung Gear VR will be so much more successful than all of the competition combined this year. With a $99 price point, wireless bulk free setup, ability to take it and use it anywhere, plus it has an optional VR camera to make your own content, it's just so much more accessible for everyone.
I hope it comes with a roll of free barf bags, because that is what motion sensitive people will experience.

I can also see eye strain for those who can't control overuse, heat build up, pressure points
to hold the glasses that hurt on the head, more exposure to WiFi signals.
All of that can't be good for the brain.

Will be interesting to see how they all solve these problems.

In the meantime as some other poster has in his tagline paraphrased:

Go outside: the reality of what you see is amazing

BuffaloTF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
you don't see any excitement in being able to visit anywhere in the world from your couch? immersive games/classes/hobbies? the educational implications worldwide for Google cardboard? the latter of which means there's massive potential markets that don't even include us silly westerners and our shoot-em-up proclivities.

VR will change the world more dynamically than even TV could ever dream of.
That's what they said in the 90s too. And then, just like now, we were given headsets that induced motion sickness that tricked the eyes, but not the ears or your equilibrium... they didn't eliminate gravity or your bodies expectation of it...

They flopped. As the world is expecting these new VR systems to do.

iZac

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
www.bobgoulden.com
With the Oculus and Vive giving people major sticker shock, I don't doubt that Microsoft will just wedge the final price point in at around the others. I can only pray that Sony will step in and embarrass all of them by pricing it at least a couple of hundred dollars lower. After all, they floated "the price of a console" around. I have faith.

Isn't a Sony VR event scheduled for the same week Apple are releasing their glorious new iPhone Classic?

PlainviewUVGF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2013
Totally Agree! I also saw the new Samsung phone and the headset that it attaches to that will give you VR as well. I just do not get it yet. AR maybe, but VR? I mean I am sure there are some use cases (i mean other than games), but to me AR has a ton of use cases that I am would love to see hit the mainstream.
Hololens is AR.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
That's what they said in the 90s too. And then, just like now, we were given headsets that induced motion sickness that tricked the eyes, but not the ears or your equilibrium... they didn't eliminate gravity or your bodies expectation of it...

They flopped. As the world is expecting these new VR systems to do.
i see nothing in the arguments against VR's inevitable success that sways me. lots of "but in the 90s" or "Nintendo 3DS flopped" or "3D tv gimmicks" or some other example of past failure. could have said the same about smartphones in 2007 when the iPhone had only 16 stock apps, no app store, no email attachments and almost nothing we have today that makes it a robust experience.

if you get motion sickness from today's VR efforts, you're just unlucky and in the low minority (as studied and reported already). bummer, for sure. but totally anecdotal.

Last edited:

glibgil

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2016
these guys' looks contrasted with their voices reminds me of

Last edited:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
3,000 dollars - wow. I guess being on the bleeding edge, includes bleeding your bank account drive - yowza

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Visit site
The application of VR isn't just games and entertainment, but in other fields such as Medicine.

VR is highly exciting. The graphic capabilities of today make VR more compelling that it did previously.. I'm looking forward to it.

This is a development kit, not designed for consumers. The consumer version will be far cheaper.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I hope it comes with a roll of free barf bags, because that is what motion sensitive people will experience.

I can also see eye strain for those who can't control overuse, heat build up, pressure points
to hold the glasses that hurt on the head, more exposure to WiFi signals.
All of that can't be good for the brain.

Will be interesting to see how they all solve these problems.

In the meantime as some other poster has in his tagline paraphrased:

Go outside: the reality of what you see is amazing
I agree, these VR headsets are as 1st gen as it gets. What I mean is that they are still in Alpha stages. Though, once all the kinks are worked out, VR will probably be the next big thing in technology.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
i see nothing in the arguments against VR's inevitable success that sways me. lots of "but in the 90s" or "Nintendo 3DS flopped" or "3D tv gimmicks" or some other example of past failure. could have said the same about smartphones in 2007 when the iPhone had only 16 stock apps, no app store, no email attachments and almost nothing we have today that makes it a robust experience.

if you get motion sickness from today's VR efforts, you're just unlucky and in the low minority (as studied and reported already). bummer, for sure. but totally anecdotal.
Ok... that's great. Then how about the fact the Department of Defense has spent billions of dollars to develop VR training simulators and for theraputic purposes? Ones with more than just a headset, but where they're suspended with bungees above a 360 degree treadmill, can move in any direction, actually walk without going anywhere... and still get motion sickness?

That's a bit more intensive than what's being offered by Oculus, et al, which still fails miserably to avoid motion sickness... yet still fails to avoid motion sickness.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Ok... that's great. Then how about the fact the Department of Defense has spent billions of dollars to develop VR training simulators and for theraputic purposes? Ones with more than just a headset, but where they're suspended with bungees above a 360 degree treadmill, can move in any direction, actually walk without going anywhere... and still get motion sickness?
i'll look it up but that really sounds like a case of apples and oranges. what VR system are they using? which version? are they the same people who get car motion sickness? many questions... but the first being - what percentage are getting motion sickness from this highly rigorous form of VR? because as reports widely indicate, not many people get this from the latest oculus headset. it's a low minority. so there's that - i don't really know what your argument is: other somewhat dissimilar things aren't great and, anecdotally, some people get sick? not many industries would abandon ship based on these types of indications.

Reactions: 69Mustang

acidsoul

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Apple announces products only when they're ready for launch.
Microsoft (and Google) announce projects under development and opens them to developers.
Recently I feel more "innovation" with the latter, just hope Apple keeps up with their "getting the best, not first" cause AR and VR seems miles ahead, and it feels like an area that may be the next stage of personal computers.

jonnysods

macrumors 603
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
All this looks like is a lot of fun for end users. But, I bet things like digital encyclopedias for kids would be an unreal educational experience. Bringing text books to life! The education possibilities are massive, for all those visual learners out there!

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
www.karenandjay.com
VR will change the world more dynamically than even TV could ever dream of.
Perhaps, but not until the tech improves. The general public is not going to spend their entertainment hours wearing bulky goggles. Until the VR experience involves a simpler and less obtrusive interface, it will be relegated to amusement parks and hobbyists.

Marshall73

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2015
Cool. Should be interesting to see what developers come up with. I heard that the viewing area is actually pretty small though, and if that's right, hopefully the later versions will cover the entire visual space of the eyes.
Yup thats my only reservation too, narrow field of view takes you right out of the experience apparently. :(

Reactions: KdParker

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
www.teammacosx.org
Well, you have to start somewhere. Hope it leads to good things.

VR is great and I love it, and it will always be a great thing for gaming and learning. It takes you someplace else!

But AR is the tech that will one day be a part of day-to-day mainstream life. It keeps you where you are.

Reactions: teslo

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Gotta admit, Samsung Gear VR will be so much more successful than all of the competition combined this year. With a $99 price point, wireless bulk free setup, ability to take it and use it anywhere, plus it has an optional VR camera to make your own content, it's just so much more accessible for everyone.
Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a totally different product than the Samsung Gear.

Reactions: 69Mustang and teslo