Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
It's unlikely that Apple would allow .Net code to be compiled down into Objective-C, or run natively on the iPhone. If this happened it would be more likely that Apple would allow it's frameworks and the Objective-C compiler to be accessible to Visual Studio (you would target the iPhone in your project/solution).

I have no problem with that, as long as the dev has an actual iPhone.
Guess not everyone wants to use a Mac :)

But I wonder how are they gonna workaround IB. I remember VS had some UI editing capabilities back then (surely much improved by now), just can't help thinking of how they would implement it.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I hope they put Steve "The Monkey" Ballmer in a cage, in case he start doing something weird out of the blue ...

Typeriz

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
j.allard

maybe this is one of the reasons j.allard is leaving microsft, over the courier because steve ballmer wants to develop on the ipad??

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I hope they put Steve "The Monkey" Ballmer in a cage, in case he start doing something weird out of the blue ...

In case? When does he not do weird stuff when there is an audience giving him attention?

Probably won't matter anyways. I doubt Ballmer would show up to WWDC.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I have always maintained that it was a mistake for apple to kill webobjects. VStudio is gaining a lot of ground I hear. I am hoping to see apple bring back a version of webobjects.

The ObjC WebObjects didn't really die. Core Data is actually WebObjects without the "web" part. The name is different but the APIs are the same.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I think it's far more likely we'd see someone from the MacBU or from the Visual Studios team, at most maybe a VP of something. Steve Ballmer isn't the type of person Steve Jobs really would want on his stage. Sorry, Ballmer. The WWDC crowd isn't going to respond well to the sweaty monkey routine.

jW

J

jdhandi

Macrumors readers didn't get the point. now weak apple needs help from MS to fight against Big G. :D..smart move steve.

Barrons reports that one analyst is predicting that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer will be part of Steve Jobs' WWDC Keynote presentation.

According to Trip Chowdhry, an analyst with tiny Global Equities Research, 7 minutes of Steve Jobs' keynote is allotted for Microsoft. Microsoft will reportedly be talking about their development tool Visual Studio 2010. The new version of Visual Studio will reportedly allow developers to write native applications for the iPhone, iPad and Mac OS.

The move would be a big surprise given Apple and Microsoft's competitive history. In addition, the announcement of PC-based development suite for iPhone and Mac OS would be major announcement. At present, developers may only create iPhone and Mac OS applications from within Apple's own Xcode development suite which only runs on Macs.

Article Link: Microsoft's Steve Ballmer to Present During WWDC 2010 Keynote?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I have no problem with Apple and Microsoft working together to serve some products to some markets, but I really really despise Steve Ballmer, and have absolutely no respect for the man, whatsoever. He's a terrible public speaker, the worst CEO I've ever heard of, and an embarrassment to the entire Microsoft entity.

Regardless of what he has to say, he should be booed on and and off the stage if he shows his face at WWDC. This is the same arrogant jack who compared the iPhone to the Motorolla Q back in 2007 and said, "We have a phone that does email too."

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
I have no problem with Apple and Microsoft working together to serve some products to some markets, but I really really despise Steve Ballmer, and have absolutely no respect for the man, whatsoever. He's a terrible public speaker, the worst CEO I've ever heard of, and an embarrassment to the entire Microsoft entity.

Regardless of what he has to say, he should be booed on and and off the stage if he shows his face at WWDC. This is the same arrogant jack who compared the iPhone to the Motorolla Q back in 2007 and said, "We have a phone that does email too."

:rolleyes: :eek:

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
Or Visual Studio for that matter.

That being said this is total BS. Unless Steve Jobs is really scared about Google and recognizes they need more developer following and support. Partnering with MS on that front would certainly send a huge message. Google is really putting out an olive branch to developers. And that could be a problem for Apple.

But again, BS. Microsoft is not going to do this when they are on the verge of releasing a new Mobile OS.

MS would do it in a heart beat. Apple won't. Apple hasn't even made the effort to inform Unity et al. on whether they are in or out.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

It is also the same guy who runs the only IT company that has ALWAYS been extremely profitable and success throughout its history. And unlike some other CEO from a Cupertino-based IT company, he understands the needs of enterprises and software developers and also not yet made a decision that almost killed the company. (Steve Jobs brought John Sculley to Apple. Oops.)

cumanzor

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2009
This is all about Google

I'm really excited about this actually, but I don't think this is about Google. This is more like an opportunity. Think about it, what if you really want a Unix environment but you also need MS dev tools? eh?

I think it would be fun if Ballmer appears and makes the developers, developers, developers joke.

old-school

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
UK
Wow. That's huge news. I would imagine one of the benefits would be to extend the developer platform over to PCs as well; so people without macs could develop as well?

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
I really really despise Steve Ballmer, and have absolutely no respect for the man, whatsoever. He's a terrible public speaker, the worst CEO I've ever heard of, and an embarrassment to the entire Microsoft entity.
This is the same arrogant jack who compared the iPhone to the Motorolla Q back in 2007 and said, "We have a phone that does email too."

You are the loser here. there is no reason to bash the guy.
Steve Ballmer is awesome and is my idol.. and he's right, the iphone doesn't do anything special. People just flock to the device because it looks pretty, it's that simple. My old palm treo could do more than the iphone, and that was 10 years before the iphone even came out.

Kavok

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
Kin

So does that mean that the developers get to beat Steve Ballmer with their iPhones, since he harassed one of his own employees for using one during one of his Microsoft keynotes? Seems only fair.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I would absolutely love to see Steve Ballmer go up there and spaz out. Perhaps he'll be there doing his prancing and screeching mad monkey routine as the entertainment instead of a live performance by a trendy artist. I imagine jobs having a minion poke him with a stick from a safe distance to start him off.

I can only imagine what the Gates thinks of Ballmer.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
In order for both companies to move onto the next level they need each other. Problem is Apple is so devoted to its consumer electronic products that its leaving a huge void in its computer development. Third parties will pick up a lot of the slack from Apple. Microsoft is a great partner to have because they can tap into that and visa versa.

Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers Developers

Cvstos

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2004
I'm not sure how the hell this is supposed to work. An iPhone/iPad emulator for Windows would be one thing, but how in the hell are you supposed to debug a Mac app in Windows? It would be kind of a pain to code in VS and move it to OS X to debug, fix something, and do it all over again.

I think it's more likely they'll talk about the new version of MS Office, be it OS X or iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.