Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonutarr

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2006
OZ
Il never own one of those things.

Your body is the only thing you really have got in this life, feed it the goods and it will be good to you

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Il never own one of those things.

Your body is the only thing you really have got in this life, feed it the goods and it will be good to you

I guess I'm screwed then...

I've got my Microwave, my Wireless N Router sitting 5 feet from me now in my 300 sqft room, two MBP's both running airport, and two cell phones... Oh well what can you do...

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
Oh wow.

This thread has some rather dumb thoughts. Some of you should stop using microwaves. And ovens. And grills. In fact, stop eating, okay?

Just a quick test - how many of those who believe microwaving food is "unhealthy" or "dangerous" also forward on chain and junk emails?

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
i wonder how many of those people know that the radiation is 10+ times bigger at the place where the rain gutter leads from the roof to the ground
EVERYBODY PANIC NOW

microwave ovens work because the heat up the water inside of the food simple as that

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Apparently the rocks on the moors expell a lot of radiation. I go up there all the time and I'm not cooked.

But I do think cutting down on Microwave stuff is good, with all these cancers abound I'd rather stay well away.
What about cow milk though? Isn't that supposed to cause breast cancer? so many health hazards these days :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I guess I'm screwed then...

I've got my Microwave, my Wireless N Router sitting 5 feet from me now in my 300 sqft room, two MBP's both running airport, and two cell phones... Oh well what can you do...

Turn them all off :D

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
I try not to use mine that much but I can't live without it.

But anyway we all sit in front of computers and TVs for too long and have mobile phones next to our genitals in warm trouser pockets in which germs have unbridled orgies.

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
... there is a reason microwave ovens are designed to keep the microwaves from leaving the oven and why microwave-based weapons are being tested by the military.
George Foreman realized this as well, which is why he went the way of the Foreman Grill....

... but most electromagnic radiation, particularly something that was designed to deliver enough energy to cook things could be harmful at very close ranges (when it is radiating... I am not making any claims about the 'quality' or 'safety' of the food after it is cooked) ... particularly the eyes which have little natural blood flow to cool the area and are very susceptible to radiation (as you know, everyone wants to 'look into' the microwave to see their food cooking or popcorn popping). But the issue here is close range... electromagnetic energy density decreases rapidly with range from the source so lots of shielding is required to keep those eyes safe at close range (inches!)

George_foreman_grill.jpg

Anyway, I think most military High-Power Microwave weapons development efforts are geared toward destroying electronics (not the same effect as heating human flesh) and the ones that are non-leathal or leathal to humans are either much higher in frequency (mm-wave, technically still microwaves, but not in the same class as far as frequency and how materials/flesh behaves when exposed) or much lower in frequency. (I think the lower frequency, non-lethal ideas and not designed to 'heat' you up but to resonate your body structures to make you sick).

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Carcinogens are formed in virtually all foods tested.
The article lost me at this point about half-way down. This applies to all food overcooked. Anybody eat burnt toast? It's loaded with carcinogens. I'm sorry, but the article linked is full of mis-information and FUD. I'm de-bunking it, and I'm not even a scientist! :)

To let it cool down enough so I can handle it. I don't have fur on my hands like you do Abstract, you know. :p

luv ya bunches! xoxoxo

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
microwave ovens work because the heat up the water inside of the food simple as that
Exactly. I think the only people afraid of microwave ovens don't understand how they work.

The frequency of microwaves these ovens use heats up water molecules by making them move. Since virtually all foods contain water, they get hot. ...Any other frequency of microwaves would have no effect.

Microwave ovens do not contain a sci-fi like laser beam that instantly irradiates anything that comes in contact with it.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Exactly. I think the only people afraid of microwave ovens don't understand how they work.

The frequency of microwaves these ovens use heats up water molecules by making them move. Since virtually all foods contain water, they get hot. ...Any other frequency of microwaves would have no effect.

Microwave ovens do not contain a sci-fi like laser beam that instantly irradiates anything that comes in contact with it.

No way you lie!!! Microwaves work on photons and they spray Gamma rays and X rays all across the room. Everyone keeps saying growth hormones in cows are the reason boys are getting man boobs and girls are having their periods years earlier than normal, but I know the truth. Its the microwave!!! I saw we office space their asses!!!

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
If radiation leaks scare people so much, go to Home Depot and buy a microwave radiation leak detector. I have one (combo stud finder/continuity tester) and have never, ever detected the slightest blip from any oven. Microwaved food is generally bad for you because most food commercially prepared for microwave ovens are full of fat and sodium, not because of radiation.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Meh I don't believe it nor really care. I eat microwaved food all the time and I feel fine. I stand near the microwave while it cooks and nothing happens to me. I'll just stop eating and everything else while I'm at it and hide under my bed

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Well you might now want to use a cell phone because it can cause cancer in the brain.

Most of the stuff like taste can be explain. Yes Microwaved food taste different that overcooked food. No one going to even try to debate that point. The reason microwaved food taste difference is because the air around the food is room temp so the water from the warm food does not evaporated like it would in an oven. So there is extra water in the food.

I honestly prefer to eat non microwaved cooked food because it taste better but I still would not want to give up my microwave. it is great for warming up water or quickly heating something up to eat. Older microwave oven used to cause heath problems to people standing near them because they where not properly sheilded. Microwaves use a metal box to keep all the waves from getting out and it works of some very basic principle of electromagnetic waves. Microwaves ovens are great for disinfection stuff because yeah it kills living cells very nicely but the stuff I eat is already dead so it does not matter. People who general scream about them being unsafe need to learn how they work and yeah the principles behind microwave oven are very alien and hard to understand but very sound. People fear what they can not understand.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Anyway, I think most military High-Power Microwave weapons development efforts are geared toward destroying electronics (not the same effect as heating human flesh) and the ones that are non-leathal or leathal to humans are either much higher in frequency (mm-wave, technically still microwaves, but not in the same class as far as frequency and how materials/flesh behaves when exposed) or much lower in frequency. (I think the lower frequency, non-lethal ideas and not designed to 'heat' you up but to resonate your body structures to make you sick).

Not exactly...

The high power microwave weapons are actually used for skin-heating stuff:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1470
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/09/19/wirq319.xml

I think what you're thinking of in terms of destroying electronics is an EMP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
I never really use microwaves. Not because I'm scared of them, but because I'm one of those strange people that likes to take the time every day to prepare food for themselves from fresh ingredients. The only time I use a microwave is if I don't leave something out long enough to defrost naturally.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
come to think of it, whilst at my aunts place I cooked a lot of Microwaved food (every proper meal using it at least once) and by the 4th day my stomach was aching like mad. Cut out the microwave bit (used oven/steamer/whatever instead) and I was fine.

Might have just been a stomach bug though. I didn't go to a doctor :)

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
why do all microwaves have the circular holey mesh in front of the window?

because microwaves cant physically fit thru that size hole.

keeping you safe thru the transparent plexi or glass.

the rest of the machine is shielded.

but if you want to waste more time heating things up, go right ahead!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Why?

Microwaving food is safe from a radiation exposure point of view. Hell, you'd get more damage eating bananas.

Food is still cooking, even after the heat source is disabled. Generally, I've seen recommendations of a minute before eating anything that has been cooked by a microwave oven.

In the early 1970s, Microwave ovens were not very reliable in their protection and there were a few accidents. Things have improved greatly, but it's still not a good idea to spend time near it while it's running. I don't see a problem stirring food while the power is off. If you've disabled the safety features for some reason, you deserve to be cooked.

I would worry more about the use of cordless communication devices and the frequency of use before I would worry about a (properly-working) microwave oven.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
If Microwave is harmful, I bet FDA (in USA) will be on it by now. I admit I don't care about food and I eat it as quickly and easily as possible in the least amount of time. (if the supermarket start selling one of those liquid food NASA's astranuts eat during the space mission, I would get it as a daily food). The only cooking I do is getting it out of my fridge or put it in the microwave.

EMKoper

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Orlando, FL
Not exactly...

The high power microwave weapons are actually used for skin-heating stuff:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn1470
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/09/19/wirq319.xml

I think what you're thinking of in terms of destroying electronics is an EMP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

... The UK link wouldn't work for me, but the following is a good near term example of microwave technology used to disrupt electronics (low hanging fruit for directed energy weapons... the .pdf product brochure explains how it works) ...

http://www.raytheon.com/products/vigilanteagle/

... I am not thinking of an EMP...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.