Mighty Mouse, I tried to love you...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kixsand, Mar 12, 2008.

1. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

After almost a year of working with the Mighty Mouse that came with my iMac I finally decided that enough was enough.

Apple's Mighty Mouse is not a good piece of hardware. That's right! You heard me! It's not good. For me it's not even a 1 button vs. 2 button thing -- the mouse itself is *****.

I went out yesterday and spent $99 on Logitech's MX Revolution and I couldn't be happier -- I'm astounded at how much of a difference there is and how much more pleasurable my computing experience is now that I'm using this mouse. The microgear precision scroll wheel is absolutely brilliant!

Apple really needs to address this issue and get over themselves and spend a little more time on creating a Mighty Mouse that can compete with something like the MX Revolution. You'd think that it would be a no-brainer for a company like Apple.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

2. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I've had several Might Mice already ... the little ball always fails. I dropped one (a wireless) and it basically broke into a dozen pieces. Just an awful product, one of the worst things Apple's ever made.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I really like mine... When the ball starts to act up, I just open it up and clean it.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

At least you tried. I didn't bother. Okay, not true. I tried for 5 minutes, then plugged my Logitech MX-1000 in.

5. kixsand thread starter macrumors regular

kixsand

Ya...I had those issues too but that's not my beef with the MM.

My issue is that the MM is a very weak link connecting users to a wonderful computer. It feels cheap. It has limited functionality. The scroll ball is a joke. Apple has always been about combining form and function into an elegant package that everyone desires to own. The mighty mouse may be a cute little fella but it is way short on the function half of the equation.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well not to just target Apple. I have never had a mouse that came with any PC that is any good. I feel that with any computer a person buys they should seriously consider a third party mouse.

Personally I prefer Logitech's wired mice but Microsoft makes some good mice too. Basically I think a mouse needs the two main buttons, a clickable scroll wheel and two side buttons for browser forward and back that are also programmable for other applications. It just makes life so much easier having five or six buttons and a scroll wheel.

My personal favorite is the Logitech MX310.

7. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Is this easy to do?

8. kixsand thread starter macrumors regular

kixsand

You have a point there.

My question is why would Apple want their customers to go to a 3rd party for something as important as a mouse. They should be building the mouse that we all want to upgrade to. I now have two very visible Logitech logos adorning my work station -- one on the mouse and one on the charging station and I had to pay $99 to a third party to get them there -- all because Apple was unable to fill a need as basic as having a decent mouse for me to buy. I would have been just as happy to give that money to them.

I really think they're dropping the ball on this.

9. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I've been using a MM for about two months and so far I like it. A buddy at work showed me an easy way to clean the ball on the MM. Turn it upside down (ball side down) and roll it over a notebook pad for a few minutes. You'll notice that the ball will have some lint and what not around it. Pick the lint out and you'll be good to go (or so says my co-worker). I tried it once and so far it worked fine.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Welcome to 1994.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is ok. I just haven't bothered to replace it.

12. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

No pun intended? :p

13. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

LOL, awesome quote.

14. mr.666 macrumors member

ok see ya!

i like it... the 360º scroll wheel is where its at. also thios is the "Lisa" of scroll wheel mice for Apple... it'll kill at some point.

15. iowamensan macrumors 6502

Same here - this is something I would like to hear described.

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The first mighty mouse I owned I bought in like summer 2006. Then I got another one with my Mac Pro in Dec of 2006. Both of these failed and were replaced by Apple. I've only been using one of the replacements since then, and it still works, but occasionally when it gets dirty the ball stops working. I just put a piece of fabric down on the table, and vigorously rub the mouse upside down over it for like 30 seconds, in all directions.

That has always worked so far...

17. trip1ex, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2012

trip1ex macrumors 68000

Yeah except Apple gives you a $50 mouse with your computer that is no good. PC makers give you a $5 one that sucks. ;)

Actually I like the MM as much as hate it. I like the 'Apple click.' And I do like the scroll ball.

But I just don't like cleaning the scroll ball all the time and I mis-hit the right click just often enough for it to be annoying. The side button is too hard to press and on mine they malfunctioned (they started pressing by themselves) so I had to turn them off.

I have had mine 2 years tho and the scroll ball still works. The side buttons though don't because again they suddenly just start pressing themselves. muhahahhaha. I'd be trying to click on someting and Expose would suddenly activate and deactivate.

18. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

No, it's not too difficult to do. If you search on Google, you'll find a few different sites showing you how to open it. Once open, open up the ball section. Clean the wheels and put it back together. Takes about 5 minutes.

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If only the MM wasn't so darn good looking... :eek:

20. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

hahahaha Touche. :)

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree. I have 8 buttons and would like more. Logitech MX 518 :D

22. TheHitcher macrumors newbie

I opened mine up the other day.

Broke the bottom rings on the mouse so now it's a Mutated Mouse.:D

And it didn't work.

Edit. I have got another at work, which was someone elses before that, which still works fine.

23. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

I bought the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse to use with my MacBook and I gotta tell you, it does take getting used to. I've grown to love it though, and I got used to its little quirks. I haven't had any problems with it at all yet.

24. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

I tried it in the Apple Store and that was the last time I used it (for 20 seconds or so), Scrolling on the lil "Mighty" nipple sent shudders down my spine as if I was scratching a blackboard full of chalk with looong nails...eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww... :mad:
    I don't know if it was because the mouse was r@ped by thousands of hands but it did felt so ...

Btw: I use this microsoft wireless mouse - its still there on justdeals.com for $9.95. Worth the price, pretty ergonomic as well.

Attached Files:

25. sadilak macrumors member

It is awful too. I switched over to the Logitech Bluetooth Mouse