Mild Rant: Roommates

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Jan 22, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

How do you handle room mates who are always home when you are?

For example, I go to work, come home, he is there. I come home to make lunch during the workweek and he's there, I go out on the weekends, come home, he's there. I stay home all day yesterday, he's there. No matter when I am home, he is there yet I am out constantly. Just gets annoying.

It is nice to have the place to myself sometimes yet it just never seems to happen.

/rant

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Its annoying, but if youre paying the same amount of rent, he has every right to be there.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Just become friends with whomever your roommate is? That way, even if they're home when you are, it doesn't matter :p

4. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yea, I know but still, it is just getting to me

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

buy him some movie tickets ... or get your own place ... the thing is with sharing a house ... other people live there

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I hear ya. Are you in an apartment? Can you just close the door to your own room?

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Honestly, I'm that roommate that is in the room most of the time. I'm not a huge party animal or socializer and I can get so much of my schoolwork done when I'm in my apartment all day.

9. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

He's there because he lives there. If you want an empty house, you don't have roommates.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Or get someone on shift work. Problem solved.

11. Surely Guest

Surely

Walk out of your room naked and ask if he likes to try new things.

12. Tinyluph macrumors regular

Sounds like me, only I have the same problem myself (though I'm in a dorm). There's something unsettling about having a non-significant-other being that close to you all the time. Just have to learn to live with it.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Come out, come out, wherever you are!" :)

14. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Pretty sure your argument can be flipped round to you as well.

You're both in the same boat.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Look at it this way - think how thrilling it will be when you are able to have your own apartment, and be ALL ALONE.:D

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sorry duke, you are just going to have to deal with it.

Quote of the day. /thread
    :D

17. kamuix macrumors regular

You'll get used to it. :D

Actually I used to live alone for a while when I moved out of the dorms. It got sorta lonely as I never bothered going out much nor did I have much friends as they lived really far. This was even worse when I couldn't get internet for 6 months due to the previous owner not killing their phone line account. I ended up crashing at my friends apt almost all the time to hang out. After moving to an apt with roommates it was actually good.

18. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

I felt the same, wanted privacy and space, back in the day. I was 18 and was rude to my roommate. Dont make the same mistake I did, try hard. And go study at different areas around campus, go to your room just for sleeping.

(and try walking out of your room naked and ask him if he wants to try new things)

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well, he lives there......so why wouldn't he be home?

if you don't like the fact that your roommate is home, then maybe you're not really good roommate material yourself.....perhaps you should look for your own place

and there's nothing wrong with wanting your own place

20. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

21. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

Hardly. I am very seldomly at my place. Though when I am, he is always there. On the otherhand, he usually has the place all to himself and it is quite evident.

So no, can't really be flipped

It's not the fact that he's lives there that I have an issue with. It is just that he is always there. I have had room mates where they weren't there all the time and it was nice when everyone was home as it was a rare occurrence. Quite different than every time I walk in, the guy is lounging about lol.

I guess all I am trying to say is that it is nice to have a balance in that regard when it comes from roommates lol

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Dukey naked? Wow...yeah, that would be awesome. :) I would not be surprised at all if the roommate wanted try that! :D

Seriously- find a new roommate when this lease is up. I had the same problem with my roommate of 15 years- he never left the house. I have a new one now, and he actually has a social life and leaves the house like I do, so we both have our time to ourselves. Saturday we were both home and it was as if we had not seen each other in a month. So we sat down and watched a movie. It was nice!

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Set up a hidden camera in his bedroom (since he doesn't leave, you'll have to do this quickly like when he's taking a crap), then record him masturbating and play it back on the TV in the living room. That should get him out of there pretty quickly.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I lived in a house with 8 guys in college and had a great time, never a dull moment. You should just get roommates you actually like spending time with.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I did the same thing- lived in a rooming house with seven guys. It was really a good time, not to mention helpful. Those were the days when almost nobody had a computer. One of the guys had one and we would all write papers on it. It was great!

Duke, find another roommate. That's your best bet.