Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a reveal during the "Hello Again" event in October, Mojang has now announced that Minecraft will officially launch today for the fourth-generation Apple TV. The exploration and crafting game is said to be "rolling out in all regions" throughout the day.

f1477588393-800x452.jpg

Minecraft for Apple TV will also come with seven pieces of DLC, including Holiday 2015, Town Folk, and City Folk skin packs, along with other add-ons "for a limited time." Otherwise, the game is similar to every other version of Minecraft, tasking users with venturing into a randomly generated world and customizing it to their liking.
We've just released Minecraft for the slim black boxes. And, for a limited time, it comes with seven pieces of lovely DLC, giving you the chance to customise the fun to your liking. Minecraft: Apple TV Edition currently includes the Holiday 2015, Town Folk, and City Folk skin packs, along with the Plastic, Natural, Cartoon, and Festive 2016 mash-ups. It costs $19.99 and is rolling out in all regions as I type.
The Apple TV version will also be up to date with the all-new Ender Update that Minecraft just launched. For those interested, Minecraft for Apple TV will cost $19.99.

Article Link: Minecraft Launches on Apple TV Today for $19.99

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Still doesn't make the Apple Tv a viable platform or give it an air of legitimacy

Reactions: Xi Xone

WarDialer

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2015
San Jose, CA
My kids absolutely love minecraft, been playing for years and watching lets-play videos for almost as long. Amazing game and $20 is what it costs on desktop so the price is fine.

Only downside is the lack of mods, but then vanilla minecraft is fine too and you can make a lot of neat stuff without mods.

I wonder how you can use the remote to move around and craft..

Reactions: D.T. and profets

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I'm not even sure I'd fool with it on apple tv for free much less 20 dollars. Daughter only plays this on PC.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I didn't know Minecraft had DLCs, just tons of mods. BTW, the Minecraft community kinda died for whatever reason after MSFT purchased it, possibly because they killed the extensible server called Bukkit (even though Spigot took over after).

BaccaBossMC

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2016
NC, USA
Isn't that what it costs on all platforms?
$27 for PC/Mac, $20 for anything that resembles a console, $7 (usually) for Pocket Edition.
[doublepost=1482164549][/doublepost]
I didn't know Minecraft had DLCs, just tons of mods. BTW, the Minecraft community kinda died for whatever reason after MSFT purchased it, possibly because they killed the extensible server called Bukkit (even though Spigot took over after).
The community died for the most part because Microsoft ruined PvP and it crashes more. PvP was the main reason that most people even played Minecraft in the first place.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
My kids absolutely love minecraft, been playing for years and watching lets-play videos for almost as long. Amazing game and $20 is what it costs on desktop so the price is fine.

Only downside is the lack of mods, but then vanilla minecraft is fine too and you can make a lot of neat stuff without mods.

I wonder how you can use the remote to move around and craft..

This doesn't even compare to the desktop version.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I was wondering when this was coming! There had been no news of it since the announcement in October.

My son is going to be excited tonight... Not that he doesn't already play it on Mac and iPad all the time, lol.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Wow Minecraft and Mario within a week of each other. Apple is certainly getting its Game On this holiday season. The revenue for Apple versus effort (almost none on Apple's part specifically for these applications) ratio is going to be off the charts.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I was wondering when this was coming! There had been no news of it since the announcement in October.

My son is going to be excited tonight... Not that he doesn't already play it on Mac and iPad all the time, lol.

Yeah, but imagine how much easier it is going to be for him to show you what he is doing or has done if it is on the family TV in the living room. You might even want to encourage that so that he interacts more with the family while messing around with it.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
The community died for the most part because Microsoft ruined PvP and it crashes more. PvP was the main reason that most people even played Minecraft in the first place.
I'm assuming you're referring to 1.10, but everything died down before then (circa 1.9).
Edit: My mistake, that was the 1.9 update.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Awesome, since I own the iPad version, I should be all set to go the next time I boot up my Apple TV, right?

It's the same internals as the iPad, no?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah, but imagine how much easier it is going to be for him to show you what he is doing or has done if it is on the family TV in the living room. You might even want to encourage that so that he interacts more with the family while messing around with it.

Lol, forgot to mention he already plays it on an Xbox as well.

Once in a while I set up a few Macs for him and his cousins to play in a world together. Sometimes I jump in and terrorize stuff. Good fun, lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.