Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Then... is made of glass, it will break. My iPhone 5 lasted until last December, never had a broken glass and I stopped using because Apple like to sabotage their own technology to make us but new crap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but every iPhone since, well, ever has had a great slab of glass on the front called the screen...

Glass doesn't spontaneously break, and to say Apple use it so it breaks and people buy new products is an odd criticism to levy against them.

Reactions: qawes and xpxp2002

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
Why does this guy keep getting quoted as a reliable source. Every time I read one of these articles the guy is wrong or completely absurd. He might get 1 out of every 20 prediction right. MacRumors would be better off quoting one of us.

Wow he’s really throwing crap at the wall hoping something will stick. Interesting too that these rumors come out just a few days before earnings release. Somebody wants the stock lower. And they’re succeeding. Apple stock is down about 7% in the last week or so.

I don't think he's right even 5% of the time, since these sites so routinely quote him, how about some perspective from the sites on his accuracy, perhaps if they looked, they'd stop perpetually quoting him, the only time he maybe close is when release is near and its harder to hide the details from the supply chain..

I don't know where your hate is coming from, but from my memory this guy definitely has scored much higher than 5%. Perhaps, you should look up all his analysis and make a statistics if you think he's less than 5% correct? Last year, he correctly predicted iPhone X (he called it "8" at the time) will completely remove Touch ID and feature a bezel-less display. Older statistics, if you are being lazy, could be found in the links below:

https://www.cultofmac.com/273923/ming-chi-kuo/
https://www.ped30.com/2016/04/24/apple-ming-chi-kuo-truthiness/

zachcsnyder

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2014
Why does this guy keep getting quoted as a reliable source. Every time I read one of these articles the guy is wrong or completely absurd. He might get 1 out of every 20 prediction right. MacRumors would be better off quoting one of us.
You have to give it to Ming-Chi Kuo though-he has a job that I think a lot of us Apple fans who are also involved in the data/economic analysis parts of the workforce would envy. Researching and writing about Apple, and I’m assuming, making a large amount of money doing so

Suspended
Dec 17, 2013
An iPhone SE 2 would do! iPhone X is an scam. I am keeping mine to remind me I am not inmune in doing very stupid tings in life. The iPhone X is a compilation of things you do not need that you already have... but worse.

This is my (similar) feeling of all iPhones from the last few years; they haven’t solved any problems. Or, all my previous problems are solved. I’m not sure which. I would love to get an 8 but rational thought stops me.

The Watch is where my excitement’s at.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I hope there is an SE 2, but I hope he's right there won't be many outward changes.

Reactions: asleep

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I surprise that Apple is still selling the SE model given it new design direction of face ID, edge to edge screens, etc...

The iPhone SE has nothing to do with the iPhone X. It was offered long before the iPhone X was even announced and it's meant to serve as an entry-level iPhone with a small form factor for those who want that specific phone. And it was meant for India's market as well. So it serves it's purpose even if it's not updated.

shoebobs

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
I prefer smaller form factor phones. When my SE dies and I am forced to get a new phone, I won't be staying with Apple if there is no upgraded SE or another phone with a similar size. I've used iOS for almost 10 years, and the smaller SE is the only thing keeping me right now. If I am forced to get a larger phone, that'll be motivation to get rid of Apple.

dwaite

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2008
I suspect Apple's goal is to shift from having "trickle-down" features where the last year's model becomes a cheaper model and the latest year's model has the newest tech, to one where they have two buckets:

"iPhone"
iPhone optimized for mass production and competitive price with other mid-tier phone offerings. Available in small, medium, and large sizes (roughly along the current horizontal dimensions of the SE, 8 and 8+ in portrait orientation)

The small size will be updated somewhat irregularly due to the need of also scaling down technologies to fit, but it is fairly differentiated in the market and liked, so I see them continuing to devote resources to this size.

I actually expect prices of the medium and large sizes to come down over time as part of this change.

"iPhone Premium"
iPhone designs focusing on higher end parts and new technologies, including parts that they may not be able to scale to the same production levels as the iPhone line. Available in medium and large sizes. No small size due to the additional challenges of getting the same technologies in a small package.

The pricing of the premium phone may vary year to year, depending on the production, R&D and patent licensing costs.

I don't know what the name of this would be - I suspect the "iPhone X" was a nod to the 10th anniversary of the iPhone, but may also mean Apple doesn't know how to differentiate the names yet either.

How this affects release cycles

The future iPhone releases will likely be closer to the iPhone SE. With less new manufacturing changes landing on the mass production model, they will lose some of the operational benefits of continuing to sell previous year's models at a discounted price. With a strategy of lowering the iPhone price and using the premium line as a way to get higher profit margins and per-unit profit, they won't need to have the tiered models as well.

Instead, I expect them to drain the sales channel of the previous year's models in most markets and only offer the newest models. They may continue to manufacture and sell the phones in secondary markets where even the base iPhone price is likely too high for mass appeal, as well as offer the previous models directly.

Alch3mist

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2016
Right behind you.
Give me better processor, 64 and 256 option, possibly better Camera and water resistance (not a deal breaker), same form factor and low price point. I am in.

Not happy about Q2 instead of Q1. My 6s plus is rapidly declining by the day. Not sure what I will do between now and June if she dies. X no, 8 no and 7 no. SE or bust!

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
iPhone SE is a great $99 phone. Only hardware changes it really needs are new frequency bands for universal carrier support.

Reactions: qawes

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
I would think that India has enough people to work on putting updated chips/camera in the SE2.

But I guess Apple has all their people working on the HomePod right now. (yes...that line sarcastic)

I am pretty sure the SE that gets made in India gets sold only in India. Rest of the world is still served out of China? Considering in India SE starts off at 32 GB and not 64 GB as in US. And if it's about expanding factories... India would love increased manufacturing capacity I am sure.

Though the issue pointed out in the article is about designing resources. A significantly refurbished SE, with similar size, and new internals for 3D touch, FaceID, etc... would require a complete design rehaul.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I wanted to wait for the SE2. Back in the fall, the thought was a March-ish release. I got impatient and purchased the X, which I got subsidized through Sprint somehow. My 5S is my favorite iPhone ever. What I would love is a 4.3 inch screen in the SE body with upgraded internals. That would be *my* perfect phone.

Reactions: xpxp2002

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Makes sense - stick in an A11, updated camera and 2nd gen TouchID and get it out the door. The whole point of the SE was that because it reused the iPhone 5s frame it had very low development costs so thinking Apple would 'develop' a new phone to be the low-end didn't seem right. I'm sure it's possible that they could make the SE2 using spare iPhone 6(s) bodies and screens, but this might pull too many people away from the high end phones.

You'd also lose all of us who just want a phone small enough to use with one hand!

Reactions: sunwukong

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
Makes sense - stick in an A11, updated camera and 2nd gen TouchID and get it out the door. The whole point of the SE was that because it reused the iPhone 5s frame it had very low development costs so thinking Apple would 'develop' a new phone to be the low-end didn't seem right. I'm sure it's possible that they could make the SE2 using spare iPhone 6(s) bodies and screens, but this might pull too many people away from the high end phones.

Agreed on every front. Though the screen size of 6(s) is the sweet spot for me (with the overall phone being too large already) given a choice between a 350 dollar SE2 with the updates you mentioned, and a 1000 dollar X2, I would go for SE2. I am sure I am not the only one. In that regards, the 700 dollar LCD version of X is a good middle ground.

Reactions: sunwukong

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Kuo believes Apple doesn't have enough spare development resources to focus on launching another iPhone, with three new models already in the pipeline, including a second-generation iPhone X with a "much different" internal design, a larger 6.5-inch version dubbed iPhone X Plus, and a lower-priced 6.1-inch iPhone with Face ID but design compromises like an LCD screen.

An excerpt from the research note, obtained by MacRumors, edited slightly for clarity:The announcement of three new iPhone models in the same quarter in the second half of 2017 was the first time Apple made such a major endeavor, and we believe the delay of iPhone X, which had the most complicated design yet, shows that Apple doesn't have enough resources available for development. […]

With three new models in the pipeline for the second half of 2018, we believe Apple may have used up its development resources. Also, we think the firm will do all it can to avoid repeating the mistake of a shipment delay for the three new models. As such, we believe Apple is unlikely to have enough spare resources to develop a new iPhone model for launch in 2Q18

I literally laughed for a minute when I read this, what he is saying, is that Apple, with all its endless billions and billions and billions in cash, more then some countries, and its thousands of workers around the globe are, incapable, of designing more then 2 or 3 phones at a time...

Bbbbwwwwaaahhahahahahahahah

Why would anyone invest in a company like this? Meanwhile other companies with a lot less money and resources are MORE then capable of knocking out a few new phones every month...

If this is true it will not be down to Apples lack of resources, mearly it’s business plan to refuse to spend the money on development, another sign of its sheer greed.

CreatorCode

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2015
US
I agree. I think this would be perfect.

However, as much as I would love Apple to use the A11, it may be overkill for the phones capabilities. I'd be happy if they brought it up to par with the iPhone 7.

The SE is already on the level of the iPhone 6s, just one notch behind the 7. It would be silly to update an already long-in-the-tooth phone just to give it a slightly-less-old chip.

Reactions: Alfredo_Delgado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.