Ming-Chi Kuo Returns With 2018 iPhone Details: Lower Pricing, September Launch for All Models

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Well-known Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has returned today with his first Apple-related research note for his new firm TF International Securities. According to Kuo, Apple's pricing strategy will be "more aggressive" for the three iPhones rumored for September 2018, an effort to boost shipments of the models this year.

[​IMG]

One of the main reasons Kuo says is behind the aggressive pricing strategy is Apple's "concern over the negative impact of a higher price" for its 2018 iPhones. Last year, the company received some blowback on the top-tier pricing of its iPhone X, which began at $999 in the United States for 64GB.

Now, Kuo states that the 6.5-inch OLED "iPhone X Plus" will be $900-$1,000, the second generation OLED iPhone X will be $800-$900, and the new 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will be $600-$700. Kuo reiterates that all 2018 iPhones will have a full-screen design and Face ID. The analyst also outlined more reasons behind Apple's new pricing strategy:
    Secondly, Kuo believes that Apple will announce all three new iPhone models at an event in September. Furthermore, all three iPhones will launch in September, including the LCD model which some reports have previously pegged for a November debut.

This is Kuo's first research note since departing KGI Securities in April. At the time, it was believed he would lessen his focus on Apple to look at other emerging industries, but it seems we can still expect reports on Apple and its supply chain from Kuo.

Article Link: Ming-Chi Kuo Returns With 2018 iPhone Details: Lower Pricing, September Launch for All Models

2. nabeel24 macrumors regular

3. hlevolve macrumors regular

hlevolve

4. thomasmonks macrumors newbie

thomasmonks

5. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

6. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I passed on the X but looks like I will update this year, largest size please.

7. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

It would be great if the early adopter fee for the iPhone X phones was reduced after only one year. Might actually get me to buy one over the 9.

8. Chuck Kostalnick macrumors demi-god

Chuck Kostalnick

Today might as well be Christmas! WWDC in a few hours and Ming-Chi Kuo returns!

9. alex00100 macrumors 6502

Don't get it why people don't like this guy here, his reports are always spot on.

10. nexu macrumors member

11. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

By “concern”, you mean record sales? First time in iPhone history the top-tier model is also the best-selling model. Oops.

12. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

So sell the x a month early I guess. No way in losing 300$ resale value. 1150$ phone down to 950 new. Used going for 850

13. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

As manufacturing costs improve, costs will come down. Basically what I was expecting. I am interested to see what this budget phone is like, but I would imagine it will attract a lot of buyers. 3D touch is something I don't use and Apple's LCD screens have always been the best. Seems like a good value. I am sure some will spin lower prices for consumers into a negative about Apple somehow.

14. mdelvecchio macrumors 68040

mdelvecchio

Except when they aren’t.

15. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

Having all the new iPhones include Face ID with the new design makes sense, but why will the LCD model be slightly bigger than the standard 10? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Also seems odd that there won't be a plus model of the LCD phone, though I suppose this will oversaturate the line a bit with too many SKU's.

16. iFan macrumors newbie

I'd be shocked if there wasn't some concern within Apple as unit sales failed to grow in the holiday quarter - but overall revenue was propped up by extremely high ASP of the X. Apple would much prefer 5-10% unit growth PLUS slightly higher ASP, and this 2018 strategy will probably achieve that. It's a solid adjustment, if true.

17. Appleaker macrumors 68020

This isn't new information, with "$900-1000" meaning $999, "$800-900", meaning $899, and "$600-700" meaning $699.
    They don't want to sell a phone starting at over $1000, and in general the lowered pricing will have a positive effect on sales. This year is definitely a year where they are sorting out pricing for a lot of products, which has very rarely been done under Tim Cook, especially within the last few years.

18. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

"The return of Ming!" Wasn't that a Buck Rogers Episode? :apple:

19. The_Martini_Cat macrumors member

The_Martini_Cat

I am never giving up my iPhone 9. Never ever!

20. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

21. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

And with this release and beyond... mobile phones are now a commodity.

22. Manzzle macrumors regular

Manzzle

This is like when apple lost its mind with the over 10k price for the first watch trying to be of the likes of Rolex.

Hardly anyone bought it.

Now for those that went and bought the first X will be a little upset if the price for the newer X is way cheaper than what they paid for for the first edition of their X. This would anger me if I paid for the phone full price instead of a monthly payments.

23. Martyimac macrumors 65816

Martyimac

And there goes our favorite cheerleaders, (lightning bolt), reason for living.

24. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Makes sense. Last year a lot of the tech was bleeding edge. Combine that with a new iPhone X Plus model and you'd end up with that model starting around $1199 which is a bit crazy. By introducing the iPhone X Plus model at $999 you can still help keep the average selling price high while pushing more volume at the low end. If that price turns out to be true then I'd expect the lineup to look like this:
    • iPhone X Plus: $999
    • iPhone X: $849
    • iPhone (new edge-to-edge): $699
    • iPhone SE (new edge-to-edge): $499
    Additionally they could add a storage capacity option of 512GB on the two X models to bump ASP by a bit.