Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Because for just a little more you can get the iPhone XS which has a dual camera, OLED screen, 3D Touch, glass back (which I think looks better). If Apple has priced it around £500 then yea but at the current price no.
For a little more? You mean $350 more since I only need the 128GB version instead of having to buy the 256GB XS. Is $350 more for the XS for a camera that offers no real benefit for me, 3D Touch features are slowly being replaced with similar functionality in Haptic Feedback (Apple already added support for notifications in iOS 12.1.1 using Haptic Feedback and they've stated they plan to increase functionality), and the XR has a glass back to support wireless/fast charging.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
I bought the 512 GB iPhone XS Max but I am in the extreme minority of people who are willing to pay almost 2K for a phone. The prices are just too high.

Wow. I've recently bought a MacBook Air to replace my 2013 MacBook Pro. I downgraded because I simply don't think I can justify £2k on a computer, so paying that for a phone is just utter crazy in my opinion.

Reactions: saytheenay

ahaslam

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2017
Arizona
Strange why don't you like it? I love it and don't miss Touch ID the slightest bit...
To keep it as short as possible, I don't want to have to look at my phone to unlock it or to use Apple Pay. Pressing a button is just so much more automatic and intuitive. Face ID and the lack of a home button with gestures add extra unneeded steps. Those steps might be super minuscule, but they add up and offer no real improvement to the user.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Just a little? x_X

OLED: NEVER will I buy a OLED screen. I hate the flickering and the unreal colors

DualCam: What for? I have real cameras for important photography - not the toys build into smartphones

3D Touch will be dead next year

Xr has a glass back, too

The OLED on the iPhone X is great, I’ve had no issues with mine. The XR isn’t worth it for the price in my opinion not when there is still the 8 and even the 7 in the lineup.

Reactions: Jovijoker

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
As a long term stockholder I’m fine with the declines and the downgrades. It helps the buybacks immensely and it brings reality to the lack of growth of the smartphone in general.

There’s a reason why the Apple Watch, it purpose and new features are the future of growth for Apple. I’ve had all four versions. This latest edition is obviously the best but by leaps abs bounds. So polished. The health focus offers the watch explosive future growth when so many even in these forums called this product am epic fail.

The same rings true for AirPods. They are selling like hot cakes.

The smartphone needs a new purpose not new screens or new designs. The X is a polished product. Super fast, great photos. What more do you need or want?

Being typed on my XSMax. And iOS 12 has been great.. Saturation happens to all devices. Apple knows that it’s service business is in its infancy.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
The iPhone X was introduced at $1k, the Xs is about the same. The XS max starts at $1,099. There is no equivalent model in the past. So where again is apple “raising prices”? The Xr is $750, the iPhone 7 is $449.
If you compare the 6s plus with the XS max that’s certainly an increase in price. Maybe you think it’s not a valid comparison, but they are both the flagship phones of their year.

Well let’s talk about the computers. The mac mini costs nearly twice as much as the previous generations. The macbook pro has also seen a price increase, as well as the macbook air, with the added inconvenience of the lack of useful ports.

mithion

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2016
Reno, NV
The fact is they should never have introduced 3 models. Apple is a premium brand and you either go balls to the wall with their flagship phones or you go home. Not to mention the extra toolchain costs associated with manufacturing 3 models instead of the 2. If they just offered the XS and the XS Max and dropped the price $200 across the board, they would sell more phones. At $800 which is about how much my 7S cost 2 years ago, I'd be ok with paying that for the XS. But for $1000, I and many others will nope that in a heart beat.

Reactions: ahaslam

kruegdude

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
I think you have this backwards to some degree. The XR is selling better than the XS and XS Max, it's just not selling as well as Ming predicted. Many people do not see the value in the additional features the XS models have over the XR, plus the XR is available in a very convenient 128GB storage, which, for many is a sweet spot in storage size. Apple at the very least should have started the XS range at 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB. If the XS was $999 with 128GB, I can almost promise you it would be selling better. But to be forced to pay $1150 pre tax, pre Apple Care, pre case to get a usable amount of storage is tough. The reason I went for the XR is I just could see the benefit in paying $300 more for a screen that didn't appear to be that much better, 3D Touch, and a zoom lens camera. The XR is turning out to be the most underrated iPhone ever. Everyone bags it until they actually use it. This is why basically every review and blogger who used an XS and then an XR ends the review with "...the XR is 95% of the XS experience at 75% of the price."
“it’s just not selling as well” should read “Ming things it’s just not selling as well”
[doublepost=1544808255][/doublepost]
Apple will need to find their next big money maker real fast. People are realising they don't need to drop £750-1450 on the newest iPhone. There are much cheaper phones out there that work just as well. I can only see the most diehard loyal Apple fans and people who are too heavily invested in the ecosystem staying.

They should introduce more models. Instead of offering old models for a lower price then create new products for those price ranges. I mean, I could buy an iPhone 7 for £450 but I don't really want a 2 year old piece of hardware. I could spend that money elsewhere and get something more up to date.

I don't think iPhones or smartphones are going anywhere soon but Apple need to find a new product that will sell like crazy. They had the iPod and it looks like the iPhone will be joining it unless Apple get with the times.
Therein lies the problem with most people’s thinking. Apple is in this for the long game, not the short, give me money now, game.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Why would anyone go for LCD when OLED is available? The XR is redundant. I am not expecting Apple to introduce its new upgraded version next year.
Frankly, the screen type doesn't matter to me. I would notice it the first few days I get the phone, probably. I'd take a better price with reasonable feature set as a regular consumer who buys phone to use, not to glamour a new gadget.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
The price is not the only factor. Many people simply don't want to carry a flat-screen television in their front pocket.

View attachment 810718
Based on what? Post some data that shows people don’t want to carry the Xr or large screen phones Apple offers. They sold 217M iPhones in 2017 and 217M iPhones in 2018. iPhone X was a huge hit, the best selling iPhone in the lineup, and the Xr is the logical extension of that success.

People want large screen phones. It’s how they sold 233M iPhones in the year they released the larger screens in the 6.

The SE would still exist if people wanted smaller screens and they wouldn’t have had this much success in unit sales if people were holding out for smaller screens.

You wanting it or you and a few friends is not data. Apple has more data on this subject than anyone on the planet and the decision was made.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Why would anyone go for LCD when OLED is available? The XR is redundant. I am not expecting Apple to introduce its new upgraded version next year.
Literally the only people complaining about the XR screen are people who have not used the phone. Every reviewer and blogger is not lying or wrong. The XR screen is actually very good. Excellent colors, sharp, and has all the other benefits of OLED XS screens like tap to wake, 120Hz swiping, True Tone. The XR is an excellent phone. Quite frankly it’s so good, I’m surprised Apple launched it instead of an SE2 replacement.

Reactions: Jovijoker

allapple

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
Maine
Thank the stars for my Tracfone! It's small, it works everywhere, it's cheap.......wait.....please Apple don't buy them out!! Heaven forbid Apple would make a small, inexpensive alternative to their fragile glass backed pocket computers!

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
I'm comparing hardware/value for the money. The XR is way better, IMO, than the 6s plus, for the same amount of money.
It should be a lot better, the 6s is three years old.
Compare how much powerful is the worst computer you could buy today compared with the zx spectrum. Should we price it accirdingly with the performance increase?

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
It's on the homepage of apple.com as well. Now that they've spilled the discount milk there's no going back. People won't buy until there's a sale.
It isn't a discount. It's Apple promoting their Give Back program. Only difference is, is that Apple is giving iPhone 7 users $300 trade-in value as opposed to $200. It isn't like you can walk in an Apple Store and buy an XR for $449 USD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.