Ming-Chi Kuo Says iPhone X's TrueDepth Production Issues Stabilizing, Won't Affect Next Year's Models

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 29, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While the iPhone X has reportedly faced production issues related to the TrueDepth camera, resulting in shipment delays, respected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said supply of components for the facial recognition system is now stable.

[​IMG]

In a research note with KGI Securities, obtained by MacRumors, Kuo added that Apple won't "repeat the mistake" of delayed production with next year's iPhone models, which he predicts will "arrive on time" under "stable supply."
    Kuo expects new iPhone models launching in the second half of 2018 to adopt the same wafer level optics for the TrueDepth system's dot projector, and the same 4P lens for the infrared camera, as the iPhone X.

iPhone X pre-orders began on Friday at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time, and shipping estimates have remained at 5-6 weeks since a few hours after that time.

Article Link: Ming-Chi Kuo Says iPhone X's TrueDepth Production Issues Stabilizing, Won't Affect Next Year's Models

2. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

3. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Another obvious resolution by Kuo. Apple learns from previous experiences. Can’t see how this is any different from how TouchID production improved over time.

5. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

Yup 2018 iPhones are going to be kick ass. Any Face ID and Oled issues would've been sorted out.

6. Aluminum213, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017

Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

So in other words, let the guinea pigs deal with the mess that’s going to be the iPhone X and wait for the iPhone 11 next year

7. Supacon macrumors member

Supacon

8. SR71 macrumors 68000

Lol wait, so now Kuo is saying supply is stable? Last week he was saying it was still going to be horrible and delays would cause people to have to wait till 2018 to get their iPhone X. Now he's saying supply is stable. All he's doing now is backtracking and acting like he was right all along. Such BS.

9. fokmik macrumors 68040

"next year's iPhone models" so this links to the other rumour iphone 6.4" so we will have at least 2 models next year
    iphone 5.8"
    iphone plus 6.4"

and maybe iPhone SE 4.5" ?

10. iPhonefan200 macrumors regular

see he's trying to smootly recover from the " you won't see your X till february ". 5/6 weeks for late orders. the usual for Apple, didn't believe him from the start.

11. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

My two biggest wants for 2018 since I'm skipping X this year. 1) I want a X Plus sized model. 2) For it to be released "on-time" in September

12. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

September 2018: Ming Chi Kuo predicts that iPhone shipments will be on short supply.

13. mikecorp Suspended

mikecorp

They must introduce smaller iPhone x! Minimalistic Design Johnny,

14. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

What OLED issues are you expecting? Samsung has been making them for years, so curious what issues you are expecting in the X?

15. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

If there even is a iPhone X plus in the pipeline parts will start to leak pretty early I imagine.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 29, 2017 ---
    I think they will make a smaller one, not bigger one myself. But I know nothing lol
    Most people’s two biggest wants for the new year is health and financial success lol. I want those plus a bigger plus

16. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Gonna be waiting with the folks looking forward to Mac OS XI.

17. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

Yep Apple are going to upset a lot of people because more than likely Apple will release the XI in September and the guys on Apples upgrade programme will have to wait until November unless they sell their phones and pay the contract off.

18. jft94 macrumors regular

I don't know why people 100% believe him anyway. The iPhone X delivery windows are nowhere near as bad as he said they would be.

19. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

he said iPhone X supply vs demand won't stabilize until 2018.
    that is very likely going to be true.
    i think a lot of people may have misinterpreted what he said.

read it again:
    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/kgi-iphone-x-supply-demand-balance-2018/

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

They seem pretty spot on to me. He said initial demand wouldn't be satiated until the end of the year. If you look at Apple's current delivery promise it's 5-6 weeks. That's pretty much the end of the year -- and if it stays at 5-6 for much longer that will go into 2018. That's exactly what he said. He always said Apple would be able to produce 30-40m units by the end of the quarter.

21. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Before calling BS, please go back and re-read. This blurb is a follow up to the earlier blurb you referenced. He said supply would be horrible through the first half of 2018. This blurb says supply will stabilize by 2nd half of 2018:
    "We believe shipments of new 2H18F iPhones will arrive on time under stable supply in late 3Q18F." -Kuo
    There's no conflict between this week's and last week's proclamations. To be fair, it still could be BS, but not because of what you misinterpreted.;)

22. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Good job Tim Cook, figuring out the supply chain! I'd also like to point out that supplies for the iPhone X seem "better than expected", the doom and gloom reports about 0 supply were not true!

23. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

No improvement in Face ID next year? Awesome, no reason to spend another grand on next year's iPhone

24. joesegh macrumors 6502

He’s saying supply will be stable for 2018 iPhones on account of using the same parts as the iPhone X. Very different.

25. iamaydo macrumors member

iamaydo

iPhone XI*