Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple supplier TSMT, a key vendor involved in the production of mini-LED displays in the newly announced 12.9-inch iPad Pro, has been able to address technical challenges for the production of mini-LED displays to be used in the upcoming 14 and 16-inch redesigned MacBook Pro models.

Flat-2021-MacBook-Pro-Mockup-Feature-1.jpg

As reported by DigiTimes, TSMT had initially been facing production constraints with the circuit board and adhesive materials in the mini-LED displays for the upcoming MacBook Pro models. However, after adjusting its techniques, TSMT has increased its production yield rates to over 95%.
TSMT is the exclusive provider of SMT services for the recently launched 12.9-inch iPad Pro's miniLED backlights and is expected to do the same for the two upcoming miniLED-backlit MacBook models, the sources said.

Due to issues with PCBs and adhesive materials, TSMT's yield rates for surface mounting for miniLED backlighting was not high enough originally, the sources noted. After changing PCB and adhesive material suppliers, TSMT has hiked yield rates to over 95% currently, the sources indicated.
The redesigned 14 and 16-inch MacBook Pro models are expected to feature next-generation Apple silicon chips, the removal of the Touch Bar, the return of the MagSafe magnetic power cable, and an overall new design with an HDMI port and SD card slot.

Excitement around these new MacBook Pro models, which will target high-end professional customers, has been heightened ever since the reveal of the M1 chip in November. The next chip, possibly featuring M1X or M2 branding, can be expected to feature significantly faster performance and greatly improved energy efficiency.

Article Link: Mini-LED Display Production Improving for Redesigned MacBook Pro Models Later This Year

Last edited:
Reactions: amartinez1660

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
One thing I like about Apple is their commitment with quality. I hate all the unnecessary limitations they put on their software but I have never so far experienced hardware quality issues, my iPod is over 7 years old now and still works like a charm. Many of my old devices are inherited by my parents and they still work perfect, I just had to change the battery.

Last edited:

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
another machine to be in short supply, not a bad problem to have. looking forward to it.

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
The next chip, possibly featuring M1X or M2 branding, can be expected to feature significantly faster performance and greatly improved energy efficiency.
Those are important distinctions, not just branding.

Apple had M1 variants with more cores in the works a year ago. It is unlikely that those never make their way into product. Just as unlikely is that the M2, based on A15, is ready to go and is shipping before an A15 product ships. Just as unlikely that the M2 would be a high performance variant instead of a new base model chip.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Great News! We need mini-LED displays for all the high end Apple Macs!

guywithdog

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2017
(if they could have a Live Event),...

wonder how long the applause would go on for, if...

they started the conference by walking out onstage w/ a new MacBook, in a funky color,...

placing it down on the podium, opening it with the return of the glowing Apple Logo!!

??‍♂️...

(then attach the MagSafe Charger), after it subsides...

(cue up montage of portable Macs commencing w/ the Apple IIc) of how proud Steve would be if he was here to witness how Apple implicitly responds to their Customers.

Last edited:

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Well was going to get the new iMac and get rid off my MacBook Pro since I use my iPad Pro for school, but damn it, now I’m tempted to wait and see what they have in stores for the new MacBook Pro

PaulKemp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2009
Norway
This 14” will (hopefully) be my next machine. If I can gather the huge amount of money it likely will require

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.