Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Junipr

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
Wait, so Apple people may read this comment?:cool:

firstmachello.jpg

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
This probably isn't going to happen. If your battery life is drastically different on iOS 8 there's probably something wrong with your phone or a corrupt setting on your device.

Or you have allowed every app that wants it access to Location Services

I advise going through the list and checking ones granted this access, some are not even IOS8 apps which can be set to only when app is running, they always want it.

Also check those apps allowed to do background updates, turn off any you don't want doing this

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Why does MacRumors, time and time again with this sort of post, not put up a y-axis label and scale on these graphs? The graphs are totally meaningless without a scale. Is that a jump from 2 visitors per month to 7 visitors per month? Or is that a jump from 5,292 visitors per month to 20,932 visitors per month?

Maybe they are purposefully keeping this subset of visitor numbers (Apple employees, or whoever they are) confidential, for some reason? Or they just like mystery...

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
How about a fix for the voracious cellular data-eating bug: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6542316?start=0&tstart=0 11 pages there of people using various iDevices on various networks who apparently had no such issue with the very same hardware prior to iOS8 (myself included). It's not fun having to remember to turn on and off the cellular every time just to keep the data usage under control. My iDevice was in a solid wifi zone, closed & unused for a whole weekend and gobbled up almost 700MB of cellular (most of which was in Apple's Mail app though I don't get even close to enough mail over any 3 days to begin to rationalize that in any way... even if wifi had been turned off- which it wasn't).

I'm sure this is a "bug" that makes Apple's cellular partners happy though. Just think how many people pay to renew data instead of assume it's a bug, go hunting for others and post their own experience.

And let me guess: about 5 guys quote me to say how they've had no such problem (implying that I and all those people at the link can't be having a problem either). And 5 more guys post about tens of millions of phones sold vs. some tiny number of people with a problem, implying that it's not something to address. I know, I know- Apple is perfect and we Apple customers are just "holding it wrong."

Last edited:

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I get amazing battery life with my 6 Plus. Tbh, battery life alone was worth the upgrade from my 5S, everything else is splendid, wonderful gravy. Seriously, I get home with 40% battery life these days, whereas my 5S had about 5% if I hadn't had the chance to charge it midday. That 5% would remain 'cos I'd rationed it from about 20% onwards.

Note: I do zero gaming on my phone, barring maybe 10 holes a day on Desert Golfing. I stopped phone gaming with my 5S for battery reasons, never got back into it and now reap the benefits. No more midday charging or rushing to the mains when I get home for me these days. Bravo.

I think when you read complaints about battery life on the iPhone 6, they mean the smaller one, not the Plus. My iPhone 6 battery life is pathetic compared to my 5. There isn't a day that it's above 50% by early evening, and if I choose to use it before bed, the next morning it's around 20% or lower.

And, I'm a real low use person (emails, texts and a few calls, some music streaming, etc.). Same stuff I did on my 5 I do on my 6 and have to worry the battery will run out.

Other things I'd like addressed in an iOS update before either I die or the iPhone 7 comes out is the rotation bug in messaging, and my contacts list keeps setting itself to ALL GROUPS when I have only ONE GROUP chosen. Very random and not sure what causes it.

Oh, and have the friggin' phone use my BT headset when I answer a call with it on instead of switching to internal earpiece.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Small bug fixes?

Sounds awesome, since iOS 8 is FULL of small bugs! (3rd-party keyboard bugs being the ones I run up against the hardest.)

And at least one BIG bug I hope is fixed: flakiness and crashes if you have too many apps installed, which iOS 7 handled just fine. (My 6 Plus will not accept hundreds of apps the way my ancient iPhone 5 did. And I'm a gaming fan, so my app collection is only likely to keep growing. Faster than my music collection! I think of both collections about the same, and miss having all my games at my fingertips.)

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I think when you read complaints about battery life on the iPhone 6, they mean the smaller one, not the Plus. My iPhone 6 battery life is pathetic compared to my 5. There isn't a day that it's above 50% by early evening, and if I choose to use it before bed, the next morning it's around 20% or lower.

And, I'm a real low use person (emails, texts and a few calls, some music streaming, etc.). Same stuff I did on my 5 I do on my 6 and have to worry the battery will run out.

Other things I'd like addressed in an iOS update before either I die or the iPhone 7 comes out is the rotation bug in messaging, and my contacts list keeps setting itself to ALL GROUPS when I have only ONE GROUP chosen. Very random and not sure what causes it.

Oh, and have the friggin' phone use my BT headset when I answer a call with it on instead of switching to internal earpiece.

That's true, good point. Limited battery life is annoying, I loved my 5S but the battery life was very poor near the end. The 6 Plus has been a revelation in this regard, but I totally understand that everyone doesn't want a massive phone.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Why does MacRumors, time and time again with this sort of post, not put up a y-axis label and scale on these graphs? The graphs are totally meaningless without a scale. Is that a jump from 2 visitors per month to 7 visitors per month? Or is that a jump from 5,292 visitors per month to 20,932 visitors per month?

We don't want to share exact numbers, primarily for competitive reasons. But the total number of hits from iOS 8.1.3 devices now numbers in the thousands...does that help? :)

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Macrumors also show these charts with only the x axis. So the God dam y axis to give us all the information!!!

Zelmung

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Vancouver
I am a heavy user and my Iphone 6 lasts me at least 16 full hours of usage time. If I'm out of bed by 7am then it'll usually be around 20% by 9pm, and that's with heavy gaming and gps use.

If your battery is not performing, you may want to consider letting it drain out completely (down to 0% so it turns off by itself). Let it sit with empty battery for half an hour and then charge it back to full power. This way you reset the battery life memory.

You probably want to also take a look at your location services and background app refresh usage as well as your brightness. Otherwise you probably should bring it to the apple store for a diagnostic, it might've been a defective battery.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
This person must not be familiar with the decimal numeral system. Here, go have a quick read— https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal

The person that assigns Apple releases doesn't know about the decimal system, or me?

Apparently, the next release is 8.1.3, which has no bearing on the decimal system. Software numbering can be found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

It also explains why 8.1.10 is not the same as 8.1.1, as well as being 9 release versions after it.

phreebsd

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010

and why does Apple always hit Macrumors.com from test devices?

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
How about a fix for the voracious cellular data-eating bug: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6542316?start=0&tstart=0 11 pages there of people using various iDevices on various networks who apparently had no such issue with the very same hardware prior to iOS8 (myself included). It's not fun having to remember to turn on and off the cellular every time just to keep the data usage under control. My iDevice was in a solid wifi zone, closed & unused for a whole weekend and gobbled up almost 700MB of cellular (most of which was in Apple's Mail app though I don't get even close to enough mail over any 3 days to begin to rationalize that in any way... even if wifi had been turned off- which it wasn't).

I'm sure this is a "bug" that makes Apple's cellular partners happy though. Just think how many people pay to renew data instead of assume it's a bug, go hunting for others and post their own experience.

And let me guess: about 5 guys quote me to say how they've had no such problem (implying that I and all those people at the link can't be having a problem either). And 5 more guys post about tens of millions of phones sold vs. some tiny number of people with a problem, implying that it's not something to address. I know, I know- Apple is perfect and we Apple customers are just "holding it wrong."

It's getting bad. With iOS itself checking for things, apps checking for things (even when you thought you've told them not to), and the increase of crap that downloads with web pages my "morning routine" on my iPad of surfing the headlines of 8-10 web pages has gone from about 10MB to 15MB over the last year. I am always turning the cel modem on and off to keep from chewing through my 1GB/mo plan...and you'll notice what piece of hardware is not in the Control Center.

----------

and why does Apple always hit Macrumors.com from test devices?

Well they clearly don't seem to know what is going on sometimes, so they come here to find out. :)

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
So you're saying that you never install any update?
Never... ever. If it was good enough to boot the phone the first time, it's good enough forever.

(I'll repeat it, just to be sure - I know not everyone has a chance to read all of the posts - The original remark was a poke at those that say, "I never install a .0 release". Technically speaking, they are all ".0" releases - all you have to do is take the numbering scheme to the logical extreme.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.