Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noTe on iPhone

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Caller ID is showing up differently for me. It's no longer using full screen caller ID pictures which I absolutely loved... it's just using my wallpaper with a smaller picture ID. I wish there was a option in the settings to change this to go back to full screen.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
This is not true for me. I get my appointments with their appropriate color and I sync over USB.

You must be the only one it's worked for then! There are numerous threads about the problem on here and over on the Apple forums.

The iPhone only uses certain colours, and they're done in some sort of order; as in this thread:https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5804590/ you can manipulate the order by syncing singularly at first.

andyhargreaves

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
You must be the only one it's worked for then! There are numerous threads about the problem on here and over on the Apple forums.

The iPhone only uses certain colours, and they're done in some sort of order; as in this thread:https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5804590/ you can manipulate the order by syncing singularly at first.

Mine works perfectly, but with different colours than iCal, which is odd!

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Mine works perfectly, but with different colours than iCal, which is odd!

That's what we mean - it WORKS, but the colours are wrong and/or mis-matched.

Follow the instructions in my post and it'll work for you if you do it right...bit of trial and error. Basically you have to force the iPhone to only sync the correct iCal calendar (as per the colour) in a particularly order, which sets the colour. Once done for the first time, it doesn't need to be done again.

Jshwon

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I've noticed that with the stocks app you can now have more than the 6 stock quotes and to view the rest you just scroll down.

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I've noticed that with the stocks app you can now have more than the 6 stock quotes and to view the rest you just scroll down.

Pretty sure that was the case before. In my opinion this app is still the weakest. You should be able to program in your information/holdings .etc. like the Bloomberg app. The graphs it presents are also next to useless (if they work).

The major thing I have noticed, is when you type 'uk' it now auto-crorrects to 'UK' instead of 'I'm', which was a constant source of fury and swears for me, as when typing fast I would automatically press space.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Pretty sure that was the case before. In my opinion this app is still the weakest. You should be able to program in your information/holdings .etc. like the Bloomberg app. The graphs it presents are also next to useless (if they work).

The major thing I have noticed, is when you type 'uk' it now auto-crorrects to 'UK' instead of 'I'm', which was a constant source of fury and swears for me, as when typing fast I would automatically press space.

Still corrects to 'I'm' here. English UK settings.

00hkelly

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Still corrects to 'I'm' here. English UK settings.

Hmm. After reading that I checked in TXT messaging and it did correct to 'I'm'. But I went to all other apps I could think of and it corrected to 'UK'. Just went back to TXT and it has corrected to 'UK'.

RonCarr

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Pasadena, CA
Caller ID is showing up differently for me. It's no longer using full screen caller ID pictures which I absolutely loved... it's just using my wallpaper with a smaller picture ID. I wish there was a option in the settings to change this to go back to full screen.

this is because the pictures were moved to your computer and saved in Address Book. When a picture is assigned thru your computer it shows a small one in the corner, however, when it is assigned from the phone it shows a large one over the entire screen. Apparently when upgrading it moved them so that it thinks they were assigned using Address Book.

Benjic

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2007
Madison, WI
this is because the pictures were moved to your computer and saved in Address Book. When a picture is assigned thru your computer it shows a small one in the corner, however, when it is assigned from the phone it shows a large one over the entire screen. Apparently when upgrading it moved them so that it thinks they were assigned using Address Book.

For some reason I actually prefer the smaller picture, the iPhone camera doesn't do a lot of good for portraits.

chilltown

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but if you are playing a video in landscape, you can now switch the orientation to the other side. In previous versions it was locked to one side. At least I think this is new with 2.0...

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but if you are playing a video in landscape, you can now switch the orientation to the other side. In previous versions it was locked to one side. At least I think this is new with 2.0...

Ah, good find. Yes, definitely new in 2.0.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
Ringtones fade out now if you're "previewing" one and then go and do something else while it's still playing. Think that's new?

Antitorque

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
Also in Clock App, 1.1.4 always would revert back to Marimba, now it stays on last selected, for me, Sleep iPod. I would always have to select that every time, not anymore.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia

Praise the lord. This was one of the biggest annoyances for me with my last iPhone.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
If you're now on a website that has an embedded YouTube video, you can tap on it to attempt to play it in the YouTube app.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I have a 2G iPhone and after switching to the 2.0 firmware I've noticed that the vibrate is different. My phone is always on vibrate so I got really used to how it felt. It is softer and smoother now. Has anyone else noticed this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.