Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
Is there interest in having a MintPPC XFCE desktop instead of LXDE? I was fiddling around and I have Linux Mint XFCE working now in a Debian/ppc64 system. Pictures come later.

Tankerthebuberz

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2023
Eeeee I dunno I used xfce before and it was dirt slow have you played with it on your 12 inch PowerBook? I would be open to lxqt though for lower end. But I’d also be willing to try it…it can’t hurt to try!

Reactions: eastone

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
Screenshot from 2023-11-21 20-18-52.png

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
If you want to test it you need a MintPPC system (recent) and on top of that you need to install task-xfce-desktop.
Code:
wget https://www.u58733p55594.web0093.zxcs-klant.nl/repo-64/pool/mint-xfce-default-settings_1.0_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i mint-xfce-default-settings_1.0_all.deb
Create a new user and log in with that new user to see the Mint-XFCE desktop (or copy /etc/skel/.config to your home).

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
It will also work on your PB G4. Not sure how fast it will be, probably not so much. The slow part is loading the desktop. Once you are there it might be ok.

mortlocli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2020
kinda comparing apples with oranges, Jer - youve got:
Kernel: 6.5.0-4-powerpc64, whereas with MX-Linux 23.1 (on my Imac 10,1), Ive got - kernel: 6.1.0-13-amd64.
Packages - youve got 1556, Ive got 1818
Bash - youve got: 5.2.15, Ive got: 5.2.15.

yeah - I know thats Debian but still..Im quite impressed with your work.
..and today I found a place selling CD-Rs. My iBook adventure continues!!

Reactions: Jeroen Diederen

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
I am experimenting with something very interesting. I have a base Debian sid powerpc system running without systemd but with sysvinit (the old fashioned style). I must say, it boots really fast! I will experiment some more as certain daemons don’t work yet. If I get it all running I will try to run a desktop. Will keep you updated.

Reactions: xeno74 and eastone

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
It replaces systemd automatically after installation? Do I need to reconfigure something in /etc ..?
Don’t try this on your work station. Only try it if you can afford to break your system. Do it only with base packages installed.
Systemd will be removed, yes.
You need to make sure that systemd does not get reinstalled if you install certain packages. Make pin configuration. See this manual:

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
I am experimenting with something very interesting. I have a base Debian sid powerpc system running without systemd but with sysvinit (the old fashioned style). I must say, it boots really fast! I will experiment some more as certain daemons don’t work yet. If I get it all running I will try to run a desktop. Will keep you updated.
I now have LXDE working. Took me a while to get the network to work in LXDE, but now I know how. It is all relatively easy. If people are interested, I can write verbose instructions on my site how to set this all up. The big advantage is boot time.

Last edited:

CraterLake

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2023
I'm a newb. Putting mint on my iMac 1.25 USB 2.0 17" a recent acquisition. Interested in XCFE.
Thanks for your work and interest and energy expended on helping non-programmers like me find a good, fast(er) OS for our now two-decades old hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.