Mismatched Thread Titles

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Have you ever looked at a thread title and thought it meant one thing, and then realized what forum it was in and know that it couldn't possibly mean what you thought it did? I have that on a daily basis here.

This morning I saw
No mention of crop factors

I thought, oh! We're talking about growing vegetables. Then I noticed it was in the Digital Photography forum.

You?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Have you ever looked at a thread title and thought it meant one thing, and then realized what forum it was in and know that it couldn't possibly mean what you thought it did? I have that on a daily basis here.

This morning I saw

I thought, oh! We're talking about growing vegetables. Then I noticed it was in the Digital Photography forum.

You?
Oh, good grief, yes. Most certainly, yes, I have.

And not just in the tech side of the forum, but - worse - in PRSI.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I think I do it more often in PRSI. LOL! It doesn't help that I do New Posts, rather than view by forum.
Well, there have been threads that I alighted upon, thinking that they were about one thing, only to find that they were about another matter entirely. And, sometimes, I have found myself repeating the exact same mistake with the exact same thread title, mainly because I wasn't concentrating sufficiently to remember that I had already blundered into the thread with the same unfortunate result.

No, I don't do "New Posts" - I'd be deluged, and I had to turn off email notifications as well, they were driving me nuts. Indeed, I have even contemplated switching off the 'notifications' feature, but - for now - have decided to leave well alone.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Sometimes it's an accident, a misinterpretation on your part, and sometimes on purpose at the hand of the author. :D
[doublepost=1493130426][/doublepost]
I think I do it more often in PRSI. LOL! It doesn't help that I do New Posts, rather than view by forum.
Primarily I look at replies first and by forum second.

Reactions: Septembersrain

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sometimes it's an accident, a misinterpretation on your part, and sometimes on purpose at the hand of the author. :D
[doublepost=1493130426][/doublepost]
Primarily I look at replies first and by forum second.
That's generally my method to.

But yes I find a lot of the thread titles have little to do with what I thought they would!

Reactions: Huntn

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Well, while mismatched thread titles are one thing, another thing that occasionally irks me are the exceptionally general ones.

You know, the ones that start with a title "Help Me Please", or, for the really terse, a simple "Help!" followed by the inevitable exclamation mark. Personally, I'd like to see a little more detail in such a thread title which will explain the problem and hence the nature of the assistance sought and required.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Not really. My issue is I read fast and will sometimes jumble up a word or two, resulting in something completely different. I'll realize this only after I've read the main post or article and left wondering what I've just read. I also compose my posts quickly and don't bother proofreading, and will then later find words I never meant to use.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Not really. My issue is I read fast and will sometimes jumble up a word or two, resulting in something completely different. I'll realize this only after I've read the main post or article and left wondering what I've just read. I also compose my posts quickly and don't bother proofreading, and will then later find words I never meant to use.
That has happened to me, too.

Sometimes, the spellcheck alters what you thought you wrote (or had planned to write) into what it thinks you should have written.

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Well, while mismatched thread titles are one thing, another thing that occasionally irks me are the exceptionally general ones.

You know, the ones that start with a title "Help Me Please", or, for the really terse, a simple "Help!" followed by the inevitable exclamation mark. Personally, I'd like to see a little more detail in such a thread title which will explain the problem and hence the nature of the assistance sought and required.
This is why when I was a mod at iMore, one of the things we did was change thread titles when they were that generic.

I also despise the ones which start with "what if...."

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
This is why when I was a mod at iMore, one of the things we did was change thread titles when they were that generic.

Oh, yes, "what if....." Yes, agreed.

Then, other dislikes include the endless: "What Would Steve Say/Do/Think?" (delete unused verbs as needed) threads.

And, of course, then, there are the perfectly ludicrous, yet sometimes bizarrely hilarious threads with titles such as...."I knocked a glass of - or spilt a glass of - water/wine/coffee/Coca Cola/beer/juice over my MBA/MB/MBP" - (again, delete as appropriate or inappropriate), followed by a detailed description of what happened - invariably starting with a sentence that reads "So, I was...." then proceeding to describe how One Did Exactly What One Is Not Supposed To Do (such as turning the sopping computer back on, thereby frying its internal circuits) and concluding by asking plaintively "while it doesn't seem to work, is it okay?"

Last edited:

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas

I was an ambassador. That whole "Ask a question" area was a nightmare. Then eventually multiple posts and threads kept disappearing. A whole mess of trouble went down and a group of us got banned.

This place is way less strict on what can be said and what needs to be deleted.

AlliFlowers

Contributor
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Tonight I saw a thread which invited participants to post their "Apple Product Boxes." Sigh.
Good grief!

I was an ambassador. That whole "Ask a question" area was a nightmare. Then eventually multiple posts and threads kept disappearing. A whole mess of trouble went down and a group of us got banned.

This place is way less strict on what can be said and what needs to be deleted.
The ambassador program was a joke. They created it after deciding they didn't want Jan as a mod, but felt they couldn't just get rid of him. When the crackberry crew took over management and took the forums away from René and Jeremy it all went downhill. I was the second to leave, but the first to go public. And I'd been there longer than any of them except Marcus. /rant

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"

Mods here will change thread titles as well, when warranted
So if you see one that is too generic, misleading of otherwise would benefit from a change, report it and let them have a look

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I've occasionally stumbled upon threads that were purposefully or unintentionally titled misleadingly, only to find that they were more interesting to me than what their titles had suggested.

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008

This morning I saw

You?
…Anyone else feel that breeze? is a title I frequently read and assume is about weather.

Then I remember it's in the distributed computing forum and at first thought it was about many computers performing simpler calculations than before, creating a proverbial breeze.

Nope, apparently it's about some MR user's array of computers passing another's in performance.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

macrumors 601
Dec 9, 2008
As sort of an offshoot of this issue, I find that some thread titles are really exciting when you're only partway through reading them:

Tim Cook Drops in Unexpectedly at Apple Store in Marseille, France

:eek::(

Apple Launches $49 Mac Pro Security Lock Adapter in Online Store

:eek::)

And then there are thread titles that make no sense to me before reading the OP:

Lenovo's 'iGuy' MacRumors Fan Compares MacBook to Yoga 900S [later changed to something more sensical)

o_O

Tim Cook Highlights 'Magical' iPad Doo-Wop Duet Between Billy Joel and Jimmy Fallon

o_O:confused::confused:o_O:confused: