Mission Control drives me insane

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Jerome Morrow, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

For example when using swipe gesture to move between the spaces i hate that windows in the space i'm switching to are out of focus and then when i already switched they are focused. It looks like blinking. Hate that.

It's so unpolished.

Or the way it works for example. Why drag all desktop with menubar minus dock when it looks much more slick the way it was in Leopard and Snow Leopard when desktop stayed in place and just application windows moved.

HATE THAT black separator in between spaces.

Very unpolished.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Thankfully Mission Control is only one of the 250+ new features of Lion. Don't use it if you don't like it. See the other I hate Lion/Mission Control/No Spaces threads and add to those.

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Agree with every single thing you said. I also hate that you can't drag windows from one space to another unless you're on that particular space with the window you want to move. I also hate that apps don't have focus until the animation has finished, which can be slow, depending on how fast you swipe. It's annoying with instant messaging.

I just think Mission Control is extremely confusing, unpolished, cluttered and buggy. The bugs will probably get fixed, but the concept won't, which is the worst part.

4. Fraaaa macrumors 65816

Fraaaa

Press alt in Mission Control and click on the desktop you want to focus on.

5. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I actually like the way it separates windows by application and not just the ones open in the space that you are in. In SL I would always be switching between spaces trying to find something, it's much faster with mission control. I do agree that it is somewhat confusing, but I've gotten much more used to the way it works after a couple days and it is much easier now

6. Jerome Morrow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

So your answer is: don't use virtual desktops? Nice one indeed. Can i frame it?

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Yes, I have a standard creative commons license.

8. Jerome Morrow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

Great. Thanks.

9. marc11 macrumors 68000

You know I wasn't so sold on Mission Control nor the natural scrolling at first, but after a couple of days, getting used to the swipes for Mission Control and putting single window apps into Desktops is pretty awesome. A swipe up and Mission Control opens, letting you see and move to any open app, once they are in desktops, a simple left/right swipe and you move between apps, really works well once you get used to it.

Same for the swipe and use of Launch pad, I used to keep my Utilities, Games, Apps and other common folders as stacks on my dock, no more, simple swipe and everything I want and the folders is right there, organize they way I want, using my logic.

I think it just takes time to adjust to the new way and to customize to your needs, just like the scrolling, wasn't sold at first, but now, moving between my MBP, iPhone or iPad is very intuative.

Maybe these changes aren't for everyone, but I feel it takes a week or two of using and tweaking to your likes to really embrace and get used to the changes.

10. Synergie macrumors 6502a

I might actually be in the minority here, but I never used spaces much before. I try not have a ton of things open and running at once anyway. I only ever used it to have iTunes on one screen playing some tunes, and Photoshop or something I am working on in another. I find with the new Mission Control setup I am actually using it more now! But I don't really use the sideways swipes... I agree that it seems to lag doing that quite a bit. I always get to mission control by swiping up with 4 fingers, then just click on the desktop I want to get to quickly and easily.

Oh and a couple days with the natural scrolling... I don't even notice I am doing anything different than I used to now! I actually like it better than scrolling the opposite way of the content.

11. Jerome Morrow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

I would be bordering "fine" if they fix damn app focus thing at least.

12. cas85 macrumors regular

Can you explain the focus thing? When I activate mission control, all the apps are in focus. Granted, they are smaller, but they aren't blurry or out of focus in anyway. What am i missing?

13. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

But the great thing with spaces was that you could get into overview mode where you saw ALL your spaces, and ALL the windows in each space combined with Exposé. In Mission Control, you only see your current space, and all the other ones are tiny at the top.

14. marc11 macrumors 68000

Yeah I can agree, it is not perfect. I suspect the next .1 or .2 releases we will see a host of improvements in a variety of areas.

15. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Good tip, thanks.

16. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

No one can please you can they, this is kind of feedback that software developers ignore because you're impossible to please and cost them more more money than they stand to make. Switch back to Snow Leopard so you have no reason to post in this forum anymore, please, for all of our sakes.

17. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

It shouldn't have been there in the first release. Why should the public release still contain bugs?

18. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

until the OS hits the streets, the thousands of variables can't be sorted out.
    even WITH alpha and beta testers...

every mac OS i've ever run has been, uh...quirky. and gets better with each subsequent update.

i always tell people, if they're anxious or nervous, to wait for first or second updates...

19. Jerome Morrow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

Yep, lets not complain just shut up right. I think everyone has the right to complain. If the complaint makes sense is another thing, but i'm pretty sure mine is very valid.

It looked great in a demo and i even said it's great, but when i start using it for work, not just some swiping game it's pretty unpolished. it's one step forward and two steps back.

20. Jerome Morrow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

[​IMG]

When the animation finishes and the space is changed to the one on left with iTunes window suddenly iTunes gets focus and it looks and feels like blink (no focus then focus). Very annoying.

21. marc11 macrumors 68000

Every software, no matter how complex or simple, no matter its purpose and no matter how much or long it has been tested will have bugs, that is just a fact of development and a mass user market. For a .0 release Lion isn't THAT bad, most complaints are about the new way of managing things and not system crashes or worse. The OS will only improve over the next few months, but even then, bugs will persist.

22. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

So you're complaining that it switches spaces and THEN gives focus to the front app? You want to to just have focus when the animation is mid process? Didn't this happen in Snow Leopard? Man if that is keeping you from doing your work...

23. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Not to mention, Apple inherits a lot of bugs from open source projects because of the OS X development cycle requiring a freeze on the projects they import. A clear example is Lion shipping with Python 2.7.1 when 2.7.2 has been out

24. Jerome Morrow thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

It didn't in SL actually and add the slow UI in Lion in general it's 10 times more annoying.

25. gentlefury macrumors 68030

The only thing I don't like is that a full screen app counts as a new desktop, yet you can only have one if you have multi-displays. It should be when you swipe to the next full screen app the one you were looking at should go to the next screen and the next one should fill the current screen...so basically like all the spaces are in a row and you are flipping thru them. That would be great...than you could have 1 full screen app per screen.

Hopefully in future releases this will be fixed.