MLB 2018 Season thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Feb 28, 2018.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

With spring training games well under way and a month until the regular season begins its time to start a new season of baseball talk.

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Look forward to the yearly thinking the Reds are the real deal, then May starts. :(

One great thing about T-Mobile is the MLB.TV giveaway so I'm able to watch them here in Seattle.

3. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Whatever over/under on the Braves you find... take the under

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

I never follow the national league so that will not be an issue :).

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I am not sure if the Rangers’ bullpen has become better or worse after the Lincecum deal...

6. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

What, no chat on Five Thirty Eight's deciding to have some MLB baseballs X-rayed to see how they may be different from earlier ones? Have differences in the core of the ball made (or will they make) a difference in home run records? Jury's not in yet, apparently. One more thing to argue about in the stretch on a summer night.

7. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Requisite "The Mets look to have made the right moves to have a strong chance at contending" post...

That said, the last 5-10 years have been "if only they weren't bit so much by the injury bug" seasons.

I have a feeling this year could be different - they made changes to the medical staff, Calloway seems to have some of the right ideas as to how to handle the pitching staff (not to mention Eiland's credentials), Alderson really does seem to have made some of the right moves.

One thing that bugs me - as much as I like and respect the guy, Wright just needs to decide he can play in the majors still or accept some kind of office or coaching position with the team. For someone that "bleeds the orange and blue" as a kid that grew up in Norfolk rooting for the farm team there, he has done the team no favors recently.

8. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I thought he should have switched to relief pitching years ago, but that was before the hip injury that knocked him out of action for so long.

I'll always root for Timmy. Hope he does well for the Rangers. One particular performance of his at The Ballpark in Arlington will always stand out in my mind.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Rangers are clearly in rebuild mode, I don’t expect them to go far this season. I hope that Lincecum can bring some good games with him.

:mad::mad::(:mad::(:mad::mad::mad::(

There was no match in 2010 for the Giants. They were far better than the Rangers, I truly don’t hold a grudge for that year’s loss.

2011 is a whole different matter. One out... one pitch from winning ... and Cruz - usually among the most reliable players - decides to miss THAT ball after closer Feliz (amazing up to that point) decides to mess up :(

10. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

It has been too long without a new ring to add to the collection, hoping the Yank's have a good year!

11. Centaurr macrumors 65816

Centaurr

bumgarner is out for the season so that means the Giants are out of the season as well

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Where you reading out for the season? I am hearing return around the All Star break.

13. Centaurr macrumors 65816

Centaurr

you cant rush injuries like 'fractured hand' plus thats his pitching hand too. you need to start winning games before all star break and if he does comeback after the all star break he wont do much. you should know that unless your trolling?

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Two more weeks before attending my first game: Cubs vs. Brewers.
    There's always lots of optimism at this time of year, and both of these rivals have plenty of that this spring. Yu Darvish has looked sharp, and the bats are coming around. It should be the year that several of the Cubs' young players have their best season yet. They could have 6 guys with 20 home runs, and several of them with over 30. Pitching was the bigger problem last season, but that has been addressed. There's that optimism!
    Go Cubs!

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

A fractured hand takes 6-8 weeks to heal. Trust me I fractured mine. So 2 months of rehab. I’d say all star break is reasonable. Of course I had him on my fantasy team.

16. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Ryan Vogelsong suffered more or less the exact same fracture as Bumgarner's. He was back in action after 11 weeks. There is the necessary healing of the fracture, then there is the building back arm strength after such a long layoff.

Coupled with Shark being out for 4 weeks with a pectoral strain, the Giants' 2018 season is over before it even began. I think they had enough talent and bounce-back candidates to make a credible run at a WC slot, but now at least they can give more of the young starting pitchers a shot, and can sell some pieces before the trade deadline.

17. Centaurr macrumors 65816

Centaurr

it depends, where it got fractured on the hand

18. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Supposedly pinki finger.

19. Atomic77 macrumors regular

Atomic77

The brewers missed the post season last year by 1 game. This year with the addition of Cain and yalich they should be much improved. go brewers.

20. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Greg Bird out 6-8 weeks after having a bone spur removed from his foot. Can this guy stay healthy.

21. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

Ugh... Lordy.

22. Gregg2 macrumors 603

They won't be that much better unless the pitching also improves.

23. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just got an alert from USAToday.com:

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The first Opening Day in some years where all of the teams will actually play on Opening Day (assuming no rainouts). Also includes one inter-league matchup. I don't recall having seen one of those on Opening Day before.