MLB Hotstove 08

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Oct 10, 2007.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ok for all the off season baseball discussion the hot stove has re fired for another year.:)

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The offseason doesn't start for another month.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

But we have started to bog down the discussion already. Rather then to discuss off season topics in a playoff thread its best to do it here. There are a lot of big moves that can be discussed now even tho the season is still going.

Rivera has said that if Torre isn't signed as Yankee manager that he might leave the team.

4. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The Yankees are going to suck next year. And I'm going to love every minute of it.

6. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Why do you think that. A lot of young pitchers and only 4 free agents. Who ever is the next manager will get a good team to work with.

7. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

I'm really hoping the White Sox can lure Rowand back to Chicago from Philly. Prolly not, though. We are rumored to be looking long and hard at Torii Hunter too. Both seem to want too much money though.

8. itgoesbuzz macrumors regular

The more I talk to people about it the more I see A-Rod signing with NY or BOS. Those are the only teams that can absorb that massive of a contract and not be hindered by it. Im most curious to see who the Tigers get for SS and if they even try to make a run at A-Rod.

9. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Can they absorb his contract? Last year you guys sat @ $95 million..is it going up again next year?

I know I don't want A-Rod in our division, unless he's on the White Sox..or the Royals, lol.

10. fotografica macrumors 68040

I really hope he doesn't end up here in Boston. I'd put my money on the Cubs or Angels...

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Here's what's going to happen.

1. King George fires Torre.
    2. A-Rod, Clemens, Pettite, Posada, and Rivera all leave.
    3. King George hires new manager who gets basically a while new team.
    4. They don't do well next year because it's a whole new team (any other organization would call it a rebuilding year), but King George gets pissed because it's not a World Series, and fires the manager again.
    5. And so begins a vicious cycle and the Yankees go into a downward spiral for years to come.

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I think the Yankees need to do the following:

1. Let Torre go--but do it graciously. Spectacular run, but the Yankees need to continue the grow from within strategy Cashman instituted. And Joe is not a great manager for a younger team without the veteran presences that are about to leave. From what I know, Girardi would probably be the best replacement--although I like Mattingly a lot, he has no experience. Keep him as bench coach.

2. Let Clemens go. He is done.

3. Keep Abreu. His professionalism and discipline at the plate (highest number of pitches per at bat in the majors) will help the younger players and will continue to help raising pitch counts.

4. Bring back Posada and Rivera at a reasonable salary level (what that might be, I don't know, but 15 million a year strikes me as too much).

5. Continue developing the farm system and their younger players.

6. Wait out Giambi's and Mussina's contracts and let them go. (Not much for 08, but frees up ~32 million for 09).

7. If they can get someone like Santana without breaking the bank of money or prospects, go for him.

8. Let A-Rod walk if he opts out. If he stays, fine. If he goes, just get a decent 3rd baseman--no need to have an all-star everywhere.

The four remaining playoff teams show that chemistry is an essential element--the Yankees just seem too disjointed (I know, not a unique observation). They need more glue.

13. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

1. I disagree. Sign Torre for 1 more year. The thought of players leaving if he does seriously frightens me. You do not want to piss off Rivera, Jeter, and Posada.

2. Agree.

3. Agree.

4. Pay them whatever they want. We cannot afford to lose either of them, especially Posada.

5. Agree.

6. Agree.

7. Agree.

8. Agree.

The Yankees can not afford to lose Posada and/or Rivera. Posada is extremely undervalued. He is a huge part of this team.

If the Yanks manage to keep Posada and Rivera, next year does look damn good. Hopefully Petitte comes back- another reason to give Torre 1 more year- no Torre, no Petitte, I can guarantee you that. Look at this pitching lineup- Petitte, Wang (a healthy, non-playoff-choking Wang), Ian Kennedy, Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes. I seriously like that- and try for Santana or another free agent, so long as the Yanks don't give up any prospects.

Keep Abreu- I like the guy and he is a great influence on Cano and, especially, Melky. I'd say get rid of Matsui before Abreu (even though I like the guy).

And one thing I must say- I love how everyone was so anti Damon all year. The man was hurt. I've been a HUGE Damon fan- even back to his Red Sox days. The man is CLUTCH!

14. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I couldn't edit my previous post for some reason. Hmmm... Anywho....

I would like to see what Joba can do as a starter. That being said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If the Yanks have 5 good starters next year, leave Joba as the set up man and let him become Mariano's replacement. Mariano has always said he wants to play in the new Yankee Stadium- give him a 2 year contract and let him retire after playing in the new stadium. Then let Joba take over as the closer. Besides- 2 years of Joba and Mariano closing almost every game just astounds me!

15. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The Yankees are about to undergo a huge transition as George Steinbrenner will be passing the team on in a few years. He is getting older and I think will give up the big decision making. The team is getting younger and it needs to get rid of the baggage and the over priced players.

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Eminently fair. I just question how much to pay Rivera and Posada. I mean, $25 million each would be too much, don't you think? I think Posada is actually the more important of the two--Joba could step in to Mo's role (and I am a HUGE fan of Mo!). I think Pettite will come back regardless of whether Joe Torre comes back.

I think this team is at a crossroads. The right decision, IMO, is to go the younger route, and to let the young players develop. What they Yankees need to avoid is signing another old and expensive free agent. So I'd be all for going after Santana, but don't give away the house.

The problem with signing Torre for one year is just that I don't think he'd do it--he'd probably want three more years. So I think the better approach would be to let him graciously go, and bring in someone who is better at developing younger players and someone better at game management. That's why I think Girardi is a better fit than Mattingly.

Anyway, it should be a fascinating off-season!

17. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I definitely agree they need to get younger. But I still think they cannot afford to lost Posada and Mariano, yet.

The pitching has to get younger, and it is.

Couldn't agree more.

18. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

How many years do you give Rivera, He is not getting younger and wont be the star closer forever. I would give him 2 years but he will want 3. Posada had a great year but he won't have 5 more. How many years do you give him. Posada is an interesting case as if we let him go what catcher will we find to replace him.

Clemans career is over, it is time he rides off into the sunset and waits for the HOF in 5 years. I would let Abreu go as he is a horrible outfielder. Save the money on someone else. I think Pettite will stay for another year.

19. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I think Rivera would settle with 2 years if the money is right. He'll perform the same he has this year and the past- slow at the beginning of the year but still clutch when it really counts- the postseason.

Give Posada 3 years, maybe even 4. The thing with both of them is that they make great teachers to. Find a young catcher now and have him learn from Posada. Posada gives you 2 or 3 solid years as catcher and teaches the young kid while he's around. Everyone wins.

Don't offer Posada a good 4 year or so contract? I guarantee you someone will. Both these guys would do great as free agents.

20. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Rumor is that the Mets would offer Posada a big contract if he goes free agent.

21. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I've heard. I would, too, if I was them.

There really aren't any good catcher free agents out there. If Posada went to the Mets, I could actually see Lo Duca possibly coming here. Who else is out there??

As for Petitte, he is ready to retire, I think. That's why I believe no Torre, no Petitte. Love the man (Petitte), always have. They should hav enever let him go in the first place. I really hope to see him on the Yanks next year. Can't say the same for Moose though. His time has come and go.

22. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Hmm... still having edit problems. My typing errors are showing and there's nothing I can do about it! :)

I must add- I really don't care for Lo Duca. I wouldn't necessarily want the guy, but there is a lack of options.

23. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I could see giving Mo two years at a reasonable cost--let him pitch in the new stadium and then retire. He's now 38--how many 40 year old closers are there?

With Posada, 2 or 3 years tops. Can you say "Mike Piazza?" Piazza started falling off at about 33--Posada is now 36. I agree with trying to keep him, but if he demands a 4 year deal, let him go.

24. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I hope A-Rod stays with the Yankees. Yes, that's right, I'm both a Yankees fan AND an A-Rod fan.

I don't have much more to add, other than I would somehow like to see Rivera, Torre, and A-Rod stay. Captain America/Jeter should have a word with the King and make it happen.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm going to venture a prediction, which is that Alex Rodriguez stays with the Yankees and exercises his escape clause in 2009. I don't see how he's going get more than the Yankees are committed to paying him next year in the current free agent market. The closer he gets to 700 home runs, the bigger the salary he can command. I think he waits.

Does anyone know if Miquel Cabrerra will be eligible for free agency this year?