MMS now official on iphone????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ell2Cool, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Ell2Cool macrumors member

Hey guys,

was wondering if anyone has heard anything about this.

Im in the UK and i just phoned o2 to change my bank details and the guy on the phone told me that MMS had now been approved and that i should just go onto the app store and type in MMS, and that sending an MMS would be the equivilent of using 4 SMS's from my allowance.

I looked on the app store but couldnt find anything. has anyone in the UK phoned o2 recently and been told the same?

Do you think he was just having me on?????

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So not only are they thieves, but O2 are liars, too, eh?

I feel bad for the Irish and the British for their provider.

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Sorry, but O2 just lied to you in your ear...

4. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

absolute bollocks

the only thing that works im afraid is to call them, tell them your iphone is getting damaged at work as you work on a building site, and your now using a sony ericsson etc for daytime use instead.
    ask them to turn MMS on as you want to use that during the day on your 2nd handset

they will not refuse

the only thing that costs you 4 x SMS is to text from abroad to any country.

5. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

It's easy to send MMS on any iPhone. First gen or 3g, jailbroken or not. No application is needed.

Just send an email to the following address and insert the phone number of the person you want to receive it. They will receive an MMS message from you. And you can receive emails, so I don't think MMS is really a top priority.

Alltel = xxxxxxxxxx@message.alltel.com
    Amp'd Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@vtext.com
    AT&T = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.att.net
    Boost Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@myboostmobile.com
    Centennial Wireless = xxxxxxxxxx@myblue.com
    Einstein PCS = xxxxxxxxxx@einsteinmms.com
    Nextel = xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.nextel.com
    Sprint = xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com or xxxxxxxxxx@pm.sprint.com
    T-Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net
    US Cellular = xxxxxxxxxx@mms.uscc.net
    Verizon Wireless = xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com
    Virgin Mobile = xxxxxxxxxx@vmobl.com

6. OneComment macrumors newbie

Are you serious? Granted it's easy to send an email to that address. But there are a few things to consider. You cannot copy and paste the person's phone number to add into an email. Nor can you copy and paste the @carrier.com so now you need to memorize each carrier's unique address. Also you need to keep track of your friends carriers. Sending the email is easy. Getting to that point seems like a pain.

I hope MMS makes it to the iPhone soon. It's a fantastic device, just feel MMS is a an expected feature with even the most simple phones available.

7. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

No...His brain clearly was not getting enough O2...:D

8. firewood macrumors 604

You can on your Mac. Just enter it as an alternate email address in the Address Book and sync it over to you iPhone. Or use MobileMe.

9. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

My phone saves all emails that I have sent to. So once I have sent one, they are always there for me. Definitely no where near the amount of work you made it sound.

10. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I'm really not quite sure how many times this has to be repeated - this doesn't work in nearly every country in the world.

Stop trying to suggest it's some miracle solution. It's not. It doesn't work. The majority of Earth's population are not Americans. Heck, even the majority of iPhone owners are not Americans.

EDIT: O2 might not be lying - we have heard an MMS app is coming for operators, and maybe it's imminent...

Phazer

11. andyhargreaves macrumors regular

Not useful for UK users, like myself and OP. Don't believe this exists for most UK networks....

12. niji macrumors 6502

niji

sorry to disturb all you but it is likely to be true:

a swedish company has been approved to provide directly to vendors a telecom based software solution to this. they are now peddling it to all approved iPhone telecoms right now.

it is coming.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Sorry to disturb all you but it is NOT likely to be true:

The truth is multiple MMS applications have been submitted to the app store in the past. You don't hear about them, because they were never really rejected. They're just wasting away in the "application process" while their developer's patience and faith wane.

The reason why were are hearing about Mobispine is that they have publicized the fact that they have submitted an app. This is nothing new. It appears that your app has to be in striking contradiction to the current sdk or it has to be blatantly offensive for it to be outright rejected. All other apps just wait and rot until the developer gives up, but they still can't say that Apple rejected their app.

I really hope I'm wrong though, but the truth's the truth.

14. The Phazer macrumors 68030

This one however has been developed in conjunction with one of Apple's official partner networks, who presumably know a lot more than we do and they say it's coming out...

Phazer

15. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

I guess it will be coming out with copy and paste becasue its not working

16. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

Hey I'm not trying to be mean but it's really starting to get old. MMS will probably never be on the iPhone, and honestly if it was made available the majority of the people with iPhone's would either never use it or use it only a few times. The rest of the people who keep talking about it which is probably only like 10% of the people with iPhones would be the only ones to really use it on a regular basis. So it would really not be worth it. The iPhone already does enough just make due with what you have! :apple:

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

True. Apple does have to be a little nicer to them.

18. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

using the email format of phone numbers has worked great for me....i just add the address into each of my friends contact info so when i want to send a pic, i can easily choose from it. not perfect, but does the job until something official comes down the line.

19. bwortman macrumors member

bwortman

Does this work in the US on the AT&T network. I had heard it didn't.

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

It works fine until you have to send a picture to another person who has an iPhone. I probably wouldn't send any MMS to anyone besides my wife, but I can't since she has an iPhone too. Heck, I would mind if we were forced to use only these e-mail addresses to send MMS, but had the full ability to received MMS.

21. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Doesn't your wife's iPhone receive email?

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

No. :p

23. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Thanks for the list if someone made an app that used these emails it would be gold pay 4.99 easy.