Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone users in several countries who disconnect from WiFi on their devices will see a "Stay Home" message at the top of the Control Center where cellular network information is displayed.

stayhomeos.jpg
Image via Matt Navarra

According to reports on Twitter, the status bar messages are showing up in countries that include Germany, Belgium, United Arab Emirates, Peru, Turkey, India, Luxembourg, Romania, Indonesia, Nigeria, and more.

The message appears when WiFi is toggled off in the Control Center, causing cellular network connectivity information to appear, but it would also show up without turning off WiFi when leaving an available WiFi network and transitioning to cellular. No U.S. networks appear to be showing the Stay Home wording this time.

Countries where the Stay Home message is showing up are encouraging residents to stay inside and practice social distancing to minimize the spread of the coronavirus, with the text serving as a reminder.

Article Link: Mobile Networks in Multiple Countries Display 'Stay Home' Message When Users Connect to Cellular Instead of WiFi

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Very weird/interesting; do most people in these countries turn off WiFi when leaving their house? 🤔

I know people who keep WIFI turned off on their iPhones all the time. They think it will save battery (?)

They will only turn on WIFI when they actually need to do something data-intensive on their phones. But usually it stays off.

And these are people in the United States.

PS... I know people who do the same with Bluetooth... they manually turn it on each time. It would be a pain to do that every time you enter your car, put on AirPods, etc.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
love it.
this reminder is able to reach populations who should be more concerned - especially young people - in an in yr face way that is only slightly annoying. i consider it a kind of public service announcement.
thanks carriers who are using this, and apple for making great devices.

Last edited:

louis^

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2016
Very weird/interesting; do most people in these countries turn off WiFi when leaving their house? ?

Yes I turn it off a lot! Most Wifis here are much slower than the mobile data at Deutsche Telekom. Even in the university the WLAN is often so bad that not even WLAN call works. And this although I study at a "technical" university. In addition, a lot is covered by StreamOn and you have several gigabytes of data left at the end of the month anyway

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Yes I turn it off a lot! Most Wifis here are much slower than the mobile data at Deutsche Telekom. Even in the university the WLAN is often so bad that not even WLAN call works. And this although I study at a "technical" university. In addition, a lot is covered by StreamOn and you have several gigabytes of data left at the end of the month anyway

Does the WiFi assist feature in iOS not take care of poor WiFi or WiFi that happens to be slower than cellular?

louis^

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2016
Does the WiFi assist feature in iOS not take care of poor WiFi or WiFi that happens to be slower than cellular?

Yes, it does, I agree with you absolutely, but I have exhibited it from the beginning and have never used it. Network coverage in general is often a real gamble here in Germany. Even if you are in the supposedly "best" net. Sometimes the mobile data is better/faster, sometimes the Wifi is faster or nothing of the two works

Emanuel Rodriguez

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2018
What’s next? Concentration camps for those evil non-compliers?
No, but I believe public ridicule is warranted for putting many of our loved ones at risk through completely selfish acts. If I ran a business, I would fire anyone not complying with the guidelines (if they have a choice). It's completely disgusting to care so little about your fellow human that you'd put them at risk like that.

ubersoldat

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
Network coverage in general is often a real gamble here in Germany. Even if you are in the supposedly "best" net.

Typical German over dramatization. I have seen many areas in other countries where coverage was subpar as well. The only difference when travelling is that you can often use more local networks due to roaming agreements. Thus it may look better than in Germany but in practice it is more or less the same.

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Fake news. This has nothing to do with turning off WiFi. Have been on WiFi for days, don’t even have access to cellular data right now (haven’t booked a data package) and this nonsense hashtag still showed up this evening.

WAF2021

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2020
In Indonesia it showed up about 2 days ago, and is on the screen if you have wifi on or not, and if you have your cell network on or not. Interesting that it's here because officially there is no Stay At Home order, although we expect it this week.

Attachments

• IMG_6137.jpg
    IMG_6137.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 116

Cancelled
Jan 27, 2020
I leave Wi-Fi off at home as well. I only switch it on when I need to update iOS. Since you (inexplicably!) still can't view, edit and delete previously saved Wi-Fi networks I got into the habit of leaving it off when I leave the house. Last thing I want is to unintentionally connect to some old saved Wi-Fi network I forgot about as I'm walking about town. I eventually just started leaving it off at home as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.