Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virtuo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Boston, MA
If you have a MobileMe account you should be able to see this too. Navigate to /idisk/ on your MobileMe account. There should be a "Shared Files" tab located under the Home, Public tabs above. I am quite sure this is new, I haven't noticed this before and am not certain what its use is for. I am, however guessing it has something to do with 'iTunes Replay' ( https://www.macrumors.com/2009/02/11/itunes-replay-on-demand-video-coming/).

-Virtuo

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I noticed it, too. Since it's on the iDisk page, I was thinking it was the long-awaited (by some) large file sharing feature.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Long Awaited MobileMe File Sharing Feature NOW AVAILABLE!

The long awaited feature is now here!

I just messed around with it. Honestly, this is a HUGE feature. Makes MobileMe worth it for me. You can choose when the links expire, put a password on the shared file, etc.

Links go to files.me.com/username/filename

EDIT: saw after posting that it was kinda mentioned here.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Just went and played around with it. Pretty sweet. Now here's the $25,000 Question: How do I share a file from my desktop (meaning: without going into the MobileMe website)?

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I'm happy it's finally here. Not sure if it would be used a lot, but one feature missing that was in the original MM guided tour video is the ability to expire the link after a specific number of downloads. So far, it expires only based on time.

But, it's really cool that they finally turned on this feature. Too many times have I gotten auto-replies about my message not being delivered because the attachment was too large.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
MobileMe File Sharing Now Available

091821-idisk_file-sharing.png

Apple has announced on their MobileMe news page that they have enabled file sharing via iDisk.
We're pleased to announce that you can now use your MobileMe iDisk to share files with others simply and easily. Instead of attaching a large document to an email and hoping it's not too big to be received, you can place the file in your iDisk and use the new Share File command in the iDisk web app. It lets you send your friends, family, or colleagues a link they can click to download the file directly. You can password protect the link if you choose to and even set how long it will be available.
Apple has also provided a video tutorial demonstrating the process, which involves simply selecting a file, clicking a "Share File" button, and customizing options and message to accompany the link to be sent to the recipient.

iDisk file sharing was targeted to be included in the July 2008 launch of MobileMe, but was removed at the last minute, although Apple's iDisk page continued to promise that the feature was in the works.

The MobileMe launch was marred by a series of problems, acknowledged by Steve Jobs and resulting in customers being offered several free extensions to their MobileMe subscriptions. In particular, Jobs expressed regret that Apple had attempted to launch MobileMe in a single, complicated transition rather than in stages.

Article Link: MobileMe File Sharing Now Available

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK

I can't wait to backup my 8k files... any bigger than that and it will take too long

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Pity you can't create a folder structure in it - Would be much more useful that way.

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
" I was thinking of buying TDK of the itunes store"

"Dont bother i'll share you my ripped copy over iDisk!!":apple:

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
I noticed this yesterday, was very happy. Cause I was sick of having to use that awful public .Mac folder crap that they'd never even bother updating. This is definitely one of the better updates they've done to it, and a huge bonus for me since I tend to share a lot of files.

Fishd

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
Does anyone know if they've set iDisk syncing to use SSL yet? It's the one big thing that has me using Dropbox, not iDisk... which is annoying, as I pay for MobileMe and don't really want to have to shell out for another solution.

Dropbox does what it says on the tin though. :-/

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
so i understand you can do that only from your mac because you need to go into idisk?

well, since our company is locked into IE6 i won't be able to use that anyway from work.:(

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Very nice! I will so have use of this sharing needed files. :) A welcomed addition!

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
works perfect and is a pretty useful feature. I am going to use it for some docs I send clients (like pricing and agreements) so if im not at my main computer can send them any files.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Im not sure what all the fuss is about? I've been sharing files very easily from it for years already. Zip whatever it is you want to share, drop it in the sites folder and give whoever the link so they can download it.
Is it possible to make it easier than that?

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
This is a great addition to the MobileMe product set. It will surely come in handy when I want to share large files with friends, family and classmates.

JP M.

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Bye-bye to YouSendIt, RapidShare and MediaFire!

...Er... Maybe not, hehe. Bandwidth is precious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.