MobileMe Finally Online?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2008.

1. hewcardpacklet macrumors member

For the few minutes that it worked, it was beautiful - very nice interface, felt like a local app... except for the unsnappiness

2. swb1192 macrumors 6502

I find it very interesting that safari comes up SECOND in that list of recommended apps.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I don't think things work that way at Apple. There may be someone yelling at the engineering department to get things up and running pronto but companies don't just fire people that easily. I don't think you would be too happy if your job was so eager to fire YOU just because your were part of a project that went sour. You might get a warning but fired?

4. kster macrumors member

truth. no joke.

5. iSpud macrumors member

maybe they have to gradually bring things online and reboot a few dozen times :):p

6. albeli macrumors 6502

albeli

Well...

Between this MobileMe farce and the problems my friends with .Mac accounts were having with not receiving emails at times, I think I will likely be skipping this.

7. syclonefx macrumors regular

syclonefx

No I wouldn't switch to Safari. Safari kept crashing on me. Both PC and Mac user have a reason to switch to Firefox3.

8. tourbus macrumors newbie

I bet we all will get a mail: Dear Apple Customers... We decided to launch mobileme not! Dot mac is much better because it works! :)

9. toanavinai macrumors member

I have to ask:

How do I instigate the .Mac to MobileMe updates on my MacBook without owning a subscription account to the service? I've heard that it's instigated through System Preferences via the .Mac account details, but naturally I can't get that far due to the absence of an account.

Any ideas? (Note: I won't be attempting the XML link self installation, so yeah. Let's rule that one out. :p)

10. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

It will work. Give it time.

11. CJK macrumors member

MobileMe vs. App Store

Although Mobile Me is frustrating the heck out of a lot of us (and yes, I know it will eventually work -- at least for the 90% of the time .Mac did), the App Store is a different story altogether: worked immediately, smooth as silk, visually slick, full of typical Apple goodness!

Sad to say, I've already spent too much on iPhone apps, and I've only had the 2.0 firmware for 6 hours (during most of which I was working!).

-- Chris

12. djellison macrumors 68020

And they should have tested it before imposing it upon their customers. They should have had contingencies in place to take over and revert to mac.com in the event of issues. We're now looking at 12hrs+ of downtime. A company the size of apple, a company that sells a server OS and servers, should be able to do a lot better than this.

13. gt1948 macrumors regular

gt1948

mobileme

up down up down....not suppose to be up until friday morning I thought?

I can see why Apple is having problems with all of the changes required for this iPhone (3g) and iPhone 2.0 updates. Even had updates for Apple TV.

It wil work, I have confidence....a few bugs the first few days and then it ok.

Look at VISTA, how long has it been and it's still a mess?

14. stealthboy macrumors member

stealthboy

This is very true. As well they should. This is unacceptable. I'm not expecting anything (been a .mac member, it'll transition over whenever), but to have a web application go live, then down, then up, then down, etc... That's unprofessional and also clearly indicates a lack of rigorous testing for the sake of getting it out in time for iPhone 3G.

15. kster macrumors member

agreed. this horrible launch is going to play a large role in deciding whether im going to keep this service after my trial.

16. bmk macrumors regular

Yeah, because there must be millions of us here on Macrumors trying to get on to mobileme and really screwing it up...

Seriously, if Mobileme can't handle a bunch of geeks from MR trying to access their sites and mail all in one go - we are in real trouble. What do you suggest, we log on one at a time?

17. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Exactly, but in all honesty, could they expect any less? What happens every new year when you're trying to call or text friends/relatives/etc on your mobile? Network Busy. You can't cater for every connection/scenario!

Also, that's a quality avatar!!!

18. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Wild-Bill, there was a time I can remember when a 300 baud modem was the best thing since sliced bread - acoustic coupler...

19. jmadlena Guest

I don't know about you guys, but maybe some of the problems with the brand new MobileMe service are caused by

THE HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE FLOODING IT AT THE EXACT SAME TIME.

Calm down guys. Don't call MobileMe an 'epic fail' just yet. It obviously isn't up to full capacity, so give it some time.

PS I'm one of those people flooding it, too. :D Haha.

EDIT: The MobileMe update even added MobileMe to the .mac dictionary entry. Did not expect them to catch that one. Bravo.

20. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

If you still have .Mac, Go to system preferences and go to .Mac preference pane. There click Learn more on the right. It will tell you it has a new software update for your system and you just download. :)

21. sananda macrumors 68020

i'm a paying customer!

but i'm not bothered about these problems.

22. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

lame. still not working for me.I want my cloud, damnit!

Better be out by tomorrow otherwise all hell breaks loose on the iPhone forums, lol.

23. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There's a huge difference between isolated incompatibility issues (and that's what they are, it's down to your configuration at a specific time) and a premium service not working 19 hours after it was supposed to.

24. bushido Suspended

bushido

who knows, maybe they experienced the blue screen of "pleasure" :eek:

25. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

lmao. Remember doing the Leopard upgrade and getting a BSOL?