MobileMe Finally Online?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2008.

1. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

Are you using Entourage on Mac? If so, the sync with .Mac and iCal will erase your events every time. I turned my Entourage sync off and my events have been working flawlessly for almost 12 hours now.

Mike

2. Socom macrumors newbie

Weird Issues.. Contact Issue..

I am running Vista, and Firefox. I sync my PC with Mobileme, and only 4 of my 350 contacts make it up to me.com, when i click the contacts button, my firefox jumps out of full screen. Any ideas why only 4 contacts would show up?

Not sure if my calendar stuff works, as it never seems to finish loading events on Mobileme.

Help :/

3. Kampy macrumors newbie

patience wearing thin............

OK, so after days of attempting to troubleshoot my inability to get Contacts from my Mac to show up in the MobileMe web apps (and just now finally got my calendars to show up) I am convinced that the problem has nothing to do with my configurations... the problem is on Apple's end. This is obvious to everyone, including Apple.

I'm an Apple loyalist to the bitter end, and have given them the benefit of the doubt the past few days. I KNOW that they're doing the best they can to get everything up and running smoothly. I DO APPRECIATE that they admitted to some missteps, and have extended our subscriptions by a month.

However, with each passing day, I'm becoming less and less confident that MobileMe will EVER work as advertised.

I'd been wanting to get a .mac account for years, but heard so many stories about how flaky the service was, I decided to hold off until they "fixed" it. MobileMe sure looked like that "fix" we had all been waiting for. It seemed like the perfect solution for keeping everything organized across multiple computers and my iPhone. I jumped at the chance to sign up for only $70.

But...... it's been DAYS now, and MoblileMe is not even close to being up and running smoothly. Will these days stretch into weeks? Will MobileMe EVER work like it's supposed to? Three days ago, I was 90% certain that Apple would eventually work out the kinks. Today, I'm only about 60% certain. If MobileMe is still not working a few days from now... well, I don't think I'll ever have enough confidence in the service to use it as my sync solution. I'd always be thinking it could go down again at any moment.

I'd love to have an all-Apple digital life, but I'm afraid Google's "cloud" may end up being a lot more reliable than Apple's... much as I hate to say it. :-(

Anybody else feel the same way?

4. tonydickinson macrumors member

I agree with you 100% as like many other Apple devotees, I had faith in what they were doing, and was patient with the problems encountered during the MobileMe cutover. Must admit rather surprised that the iPhone 3G launch coincided with MM, as that should have come two or three weeks later. But given the fact that Apple supposedly has recruited a number of Google programmers and network people during the run up to the MM launch I was very surpried that they experienced the problems we know about.

I have been a dot mac person for four years now and apart from being "boring" it did all I asked of it and the downtimes were never excessive. I recall Steve Jobs and Bill gates being interviewed together a year ago now when Steve admitted that dot mac was not what people wanted and said they were aware of that and working on it.

Well the MM interface is better albeit sparse, but there are a number of apps within dot mac that are not available within MM and a large numer of people are not happy.

I am a total Apple devotee, and sadly believe that perhaps that Apple did not get it right and the resulting fiasco has resulted in a loss of confidence which will require considerable effort and rsouces to address.

I believe that the iPhone has taken too high a priority unless the Apple core business has changed - I hope not, but MobileMe makes me wonder, I did not expect that.

Brgds/Tony

5. MikeStiv macrumors newbie

I too have had several annoying little problems syncing mobilme and with mobil me web mail. My contacts DO sync, but for many of the entries info is missing. For instance, a contact's name will show up, but not his number or email address. Also the fact that the auto complete "TO" address does not work with mobil me mail really bothers me.

I had a short online chat yesterday with "Orlando" an apple rep. No matter what I said he simply kept repeating the same mantra, "We know there are issues with mobil me and we are working to correct these issues quickly." When asked fro an ETA he said there was none. When asked about other annoying little problems he said "The mobile me server issues are causing many problems, again we're working to fix these".

I'm a loyal MAC guy too and honestly I understand some growing pains. But honestly it's getting ridiculous. I was about to buy an iphone, but honestly I will not until these issues are fixed.

6. scorpiusdeus macrumors member

I'm even going to try it until I hear the majority of people have it up and running.

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I think you are like a LOT of Apple lovers that have experienced the pain of dealing with mobileme the last few days including myself

It will get better and Apple still kicks ass but I am very disappointed how pathetic these first few days have been with MM

8. mayadanteamihan macrumors newbie

It's working now

My MobileMe has been working fine for days; I've even uploaded more than 4 gbs of my files P2P.

I think the trick was in having my laptop online several days, while the Shared folder with the mysterious "All..." computer worked its way to my laptop. There was even another mysterious hard disk below Devices that I nervously "blew" away, but I guess that didn't stop Apple from updating my configurations.

Am I right or was I hacked? Can you try to keep your computer on for a few hours or days and see?

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

that sounds about right.

having talked to a variety of folks at stores, at tech support etc for a number of issues, Apple seems to have the policy that they don't make promises they can't 100% guarantee to keep. An ETA on the end of the MobileMe issues would be such a thing. they could say one week based on what they think is the issue but they could find out at the end of the week they are wrong and it will be another week. but folks will remember that they said one week and now they are liars.

so basically it is lose-lose for them. they lose because they are liars or they lose because they won't tell folks when the problems might be fixed

10. farleysmaster macrumors 6502a

Having signed up for a trial on Mobile Me Launch day, apple have given me an extra 60 days trial (that's right, 120 days) as a result of the inconveniences experienced, and accidentally pre-authorising (not debiting) £120 on my credit card. I wasn't mad then, but I'm even more content now.

11. 1NewAppleFan macrumors newbie

I'm upset, but still love apple

When I upgraded to 2.0 I selected mobile me to push contacts from the cloud. When I did this it erased all of my contacts from my phone :-(. Now Mobile Me is not pushing any of my information to my phone. I am so frustrated that apple did not test this before release. Now I never know who is calling:mad:. From what I see I cannot select to go back to just syncing my phone to laptop again. Has anyone else had a problem with this?

12. MikeStiv macrumors newbie

It's Sunday the 20th - mid afternoon.
    It appears that mobile me is working correctly. All of my contacts are correctly sunk (synced??). I have added calender events from both my G5 and via mobile me on an office computer and all the events show up everywhere. Even the auto complete of the "TO" address in the web mail is now working.

:)

(hope I didn't jinx anything!)

13. Ol!ver macrumors 6502a

I updated my iPhone to 2.0 last night so I'm now using MobileMe how it was meant to. I must say it's brilliant now it works !

14. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Not me, I still have contacts I entered on my Macbook that aren't showing up on the web app or any of my other systems. :( Were your contacts not working before? If not, did you do anything in particular to get them to be correct?

15. MikeStiv macrumors newbie

Other than additional synching I did nothing. It almost seems like the system needed to sync several times before everything really started talking to each other. Now, for me at least, it works fine.

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

are your preferences set for auto syncing from your computer.

cause it seems that the 'push' thing is really one way. from your phone to your computer. with your computer it will send it but not that second. and not unless you have it set to send. or at least that's my understanding of the information on the Apple site

17. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

It is set up for automatic sync, but it doesn't matter if I let it sync automatically or do it manually; not all of my contacts show up in the "cloud." The ones that don't sync never do, so I think there must be something about the format of particular items that prevent them from syncing.

18. WHM macrumors regular

I purchased the new 3G on July 12th, second day of roll out. Today is the first day MobileMe is working as advertised for me. Last week certain things would show up... maybe ical and sometimes contacts. Today tried several test and it works both from iPhone to my Macs and from my Macs to iPhone!! FANTASTIC !!
    ;)