Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several tidbits about Apple's upcoming "Made for iPhone" (MFi) gaming controllers leaked out over the weekend, revealing a few new details about products from both MOGA and Logitech. According to a tweet from @evleaks, Logitech's upcoming controller, which was revealed in photos in October, will be called the Powershell, while MOGA's controller is the MOGA Ace Power.

MOGA's upcoming Ace Power controller was accidentally unveiled in a YouTube video over the weekend (via TouchArcade), after images of the controller first leaked last week. While the original images depicted a traditional d-pad along with dual thumbsticks, the video confirms the controller also includes R1/R2 and L1/L2 buttons located at the top.

The trailer also provides a clear picture of the controller's sizing, both with an iPhone inside and while closed. The controller will support the iPhone 5, the 5c, the 5s, and the fifth-generation iPod touch, and while pricing details hqve not been confirmed, initial pricing leaks have pointed to a $99 price tag.

While there is no prospective release date available for the MFi controllers, the increasingly frequent product leaks suggest that they could come before the end of the year, possibly in mid-November.

Article Link: MOGA 'Ace Power' iOS Game Controller Shown in Leaked Trailer

DirectorZak

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
Salt Lake, Utah
8389466650_14e8e8edb6_z.jpg

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
These things need to be priced around what a PS4 controller will cost. $99 is definitely more than most are gonna be willing to spend.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
With a name like that, I'd rather puke:

Windows_PowerShell_icon.png

Freaking powershell. Everyone's least favorite shell.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Do you think that maybe Apple will have a 3rd event this fall where they show off a new Apple TV, Apple TV app store, and controllers?

itsBooth

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
Miami, Fl
I hate when they fail this hard. "Transform Your iOS7 Gaming"....but your holding an iPhone with iOS 6

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 1.27.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 1.27.17 PM.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,465

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just want an Xbox 360 controller clone that I can use with the new iPad I'm getting in November. Then I want some serious console ports as the new iPad is supposed to be on par with the graphics output of the Xbox 360 and PS3. Then on lunch breaks I can close my office door, flip my iPad smart cover around to make it stand, grab the controller out of my bag and play some GTA V or Destiny without an elaborate setup. That's the dream—but only if people are willing to pay more for AAA titles on iOS. I think if they do quality ports of upcoming games with controller support, there are a growing number of hardcore gamers with tablets that would drop $30-40 on such games. The ROI will grow over time.

How much of a cut does Microsoft or Sony get per game sold vs. Apple's 70/30 split?

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
What's interesting is the Protocol carries across to OSX too. so you can use the controller on both iOS and your mac

I know these have the MFI naming, but if they every get their big brains out their arse and get Apps on an ATV they are going to have a serious casual gaming machine.

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
Technology

MOGA BOOST TECHNOLOGY. I am sick and tired of these types of marketing buzzwords. You put a battery pack in your product which actually feeds power to the host device. It's no different than other battery cases that have been available for several product generations.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I just want an Xbox 360 controller clone that I can use with the new iPad I'm getting in November. Then I want some serious console ports as the new iPad is supposed to be on par with the graphics output of the Xbox 360 and PS3. Then on lunch breaks I can close my office door, flip my iPad smart cover around to make it stand, grab the controller out of my bag and play some GTA V or Destiny without an elaborate setup. That's the dream—but only if people are willing to pay more for AAA titles on iOS. I think if they do quality ports of upcoming games with controller support, there are a growing number of hardcore gamers with tablets that would drop $30-40 on such games. The ROI will grow over time.

How much of a cut does Microsoft or Sony get per game sold vs. Apple's 70/30 split?

This post just gave me a good idea. Brb.

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
My son would love this!!!

But not for $99 bucks. Hopefully there will be others that come to market that will have a better price point. Great idea, horrible price.

rsands1

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2010
I want a battery pack game controller case that slides down to reveal the buttons...then it would actually be portable and add to your iPhone's battery life...this is just another thing to carry around with you. FAIL

$99 isn't really a bad price, especially when it comes with a battery pack too.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I feel like they could have made this a little easier on the eyes and the price is pretty crazy but hopefully it will inspire cheaper and better designs.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This post just gave me a good idea. Brb.

Are you going to hack an Xbox 360 controller to send bluetooth signals to iOS? I'm sure the MFi handshake requires some proprietary crap from Apple. I remember JB'ing my original iPad to use a Wii remote to play Nintendo games. That was pretty cool but the software was kind of buggy. Probably also the 256MB of ram on the original iPad causing things to crash.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
These guys need a new marketing staff. The product itself looks okay, but the name is awful and the video is amateurish at best.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Are you going to hack an Xbox 360 controller to send bluetooth signals to iOS? I'm sure the MFi handshake requires some proprietary crap from Apple. I remember JB'ing my original iPad to use a Wii remote to play Nintendo games. That was pretty cool but the software was kind of buggy. Probably also the 256MB of ram on the original iPad causing things to crash.

That was the idea, but an Xbox and a PS3 controller available for preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.