Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkKiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Manchester
Hi,

I have question I recently install Mojave to my cMP 5.1 and when I try install BootCamp it say " This Mac does not support Boot Camp "

Thanks

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
He's probably just surprised because Apple does not disclose anywhere (to my knowledge) that Boot Camp Assistant will be disabled on the 2010/2012 Mac Pro under Mojave. They really should publish a support article that lays out all the functionality cMP users will lose when they install Mojave. Most cMP owners don't obsessively follow this forum.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
You don't need to use Boot Camp Assistant, either burn a Windows iso to a DVD (most reliable way) or make a bootable USB.

I found that when installing Windows I had to pull all the other drives otherwise the installation process freaked out.

Oh...and you'll need the Boot Camp Support Software files (link) once Windows is installed, off the top of my head I believe you need 5.1.5621.

MarkKiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Manchester
Thanks, I want to use BootCamp for occasional gaming.

Is any way how to make BootCamp working / or use some dual boot for Windows 10 and for OSX Mojave ?

Partridge

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
I run windows off of a separate drive. It works. But if you don’t have an EFI card that supports boot screen it’s a pain because the easier way to get it to boot back into MacOS is to reset the PRAM.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
you can install windows on to a drive on your mac, just not with boot camp.
there will be some problems to get past in use as windows wont be able to see your osx drive so dont set windows as the default drive unless you want to mess around.
install windows with a DVD drive to save problems (USB can work but will give problems later potentially)

to install pull all drives and PCI card apart from one GPU and destination drive for windows
put in dvd to drive and install win
once install done update & install drivers
then you can re insert all your HD's and pci cards

thats how i last did it at least ^^, like me hope you dont need to reinstall and think about imaging your fresh install if you ever want to save time :D

edit ops im to slow to post
don't try to install win on to the same drive as osx & if you do get stuck in windows you can also just pull the win drive or use a original mac gpu and alt startup

MarkKiss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Manchester
You don't need to use Boot Camp Assistant, either burn a Windows iso to a DVD (most reliable way) or make a bootable USB.

I found that when installing Windows I had to pull all the other drives otherwise the installation process freaked out.

Oh...and you'll need the Boot Camp Support Software files (link) once Windows is installed, off the top of my head I believe you need 5.1.5621.
Many thanks I will try
[doublepost=1539183364][/doublepost]
I run windows off of a separate drive. It works. But if you don’t have an EFI card that supports boot screen it’s a pain because the easier way to get it to boot back into MacOS is to reset the PRAM.
I guess will be there same issue, but under high sierra in windows was option to select boot disk OSX / Windows but that was Boot Camp

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks, I want to use BootCamp for occasional gaming.

Is any way how to make BootCamp working / or use some dual boot for Windows 10 and for OSX Mojave ?

I bet you mean gaming in Windows (A operating system), but not Bootcamp (a software inside macOS).

Windows always supported on Mac Pro 5,1 regardless is macOS exist or not. But Bootcamp depends on Apple's support.

Anyway, follow post #9 and you should get what you want.

Reactions: crjackson2134
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.