Mojave is just iOS inspired garbage. Terrible update

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by Man on the moon, Sep 27, 2018.

1. bidwellian macrumors newbie

Don't you mean ham-fisted? and I agree with you...OSX looks like crap, still has the glow in the dark folders and I spent an afternoon disabling all the "new features"

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

this same post happens with each new OS... yawn. next year, it will happen again. people want things to change, then, when that change comes... want to know why apple changed things. ad infinitum.... o_O

3. killhippie, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018

killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

I did a clean install of 10.14.2 on my 2017 iMac. Mojave is the least buggy OS Ive used probably since 2009 and Snow Leopard had a few bugs to say the least. I have to admit I was a bit confused by the new App store until I found my downloads in my account (needed more coffee probably) but the App store looks clean and works well. Having updates being separate again is great, it was a mess being integrated in the app store. Mojave runs smooth as butter on my iMac. Mojave was really designed to shine on SSD's and I'm glad I went for a 1TB one considering the expense with the i7 CPU. It feels like a different machine tbh. As for dark mode, if you don't like it don't use it. You have a thing called choice.

4. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Agreed.

It’s a shame that the marzipan apps (news etc) are a default install (I think that they should’ve been download only like the developer safari).

They could rightly be described as ‘late alpha’/proof of concept and mar an otherwise very polished OS release

5. chabig macrumors 601

I think that in a few years we will look back on Mojave as a major step in the transition to whatever is the current OS. Mojave is not an attempt at polishing Apple's current OS. It's one step forward toward whatever their grand vision happens to be, that has not been given to us yet.

6. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

that assumes an endpoint; i think, each version of the OS is apple's statement-of-the-state-of-the-art in it's moment, and apple is always striving to make things better (plus, sigh, add more 'wow' factor to encourage new users/updaters). it's an operating system, that will continue to change (in sync with hardware changes, user needs, etc). and it's fun (and sometimes not) to be along for the ride...

7. chabig macrumors 601

I think Apple knows where they want to be ten years out and every year takes steps in that direction. Apple doesn't want Macs ten years from now to be burdened with support from Macs from ten years ago. That's why they deprecate software and features over time as they move forward.

8. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

some of that makes sense, but since tech advances (the software AND the hardware), and new needs (& wants) develop over time, am sure their long-term plans are liquid, changeable. you point in a direction then surprises pop up, and you're (somewhat) diverted. so that '10-year plan' has to change as the tech (& the world) change...

9. chabig macrumors 601

I agree with everything you said. I do think Apple has a longer vision than most other tech companies.

10. JohnThomas998281 macrumors newbie

JohnThomas998281

--- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2019 ---
    Agree, Mojave is terrible. After a clean install 6 keys on the keyboard stopped working, other threads have reported the same and no solution posted. Did the install again and for some reason this issue vanished. Mojave felt snappier and faster. Dark mode is overhyped and I didn't like it. Worse still, changes to Metal made fonts on some apps unreadable (grey background with slightly darker grey text). This killed it for me. I decided to go back to High Sierra.

No sooner had I plugged in my external HD with Time Machine backups, Mojave started "converting" it to Mojave, preventing me from rolling back to HS. Why has Apple done this? I once rolled back from El Capitan to Mavericks using Time Machine and it went without a hitch. So the HS rebuild was manual and tedious.

I'm avoiding Mojave until 3rd party developers issue updates for Metal2, if ever they do so.

11. Mac Hammer Fan macrumors 6502a

Mac Hammer Fan

After one year I finally upgraded to High Sierra and I don't regret it. On my MacPro 5,1 with an nVidia 980 it's now much more stable than Sierra. But I use HFS+ instead of APFS for my SSDs.
    Unfortunately I can't upgrade to Mojave on my Mac Pro, but on my MacBook Pro 2015 it's rock solid.

12. Jack Neill macrumors regular

Jack Neill

Mojave has been great for me, Solid and fast. If you don't like it, ask Apple for a refund...

13. olad macrumors regular

14. MacBookSteve macrumors member

MacBookSteve

Non-Tech people are hilarious. You are the person we try not to cater to because there wouldnt be any further advances, progress.

Tell you what. You go write, build, create something better. Make it something you'd like to use. Then you can use it and stop complaining about things you'll never possibly understand.

We await your creations with bated breath.

15. cube macrumors Pentium

Apple caters to non-tech. This looks like a techie complaint.

16. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

am trying to understand why, every time there's a new OS version, all these people come out of the woodwork, and declare it apple's worst moment.

outside of dark mode & the app store... how's the OS in terms of speed? stability? basic functionality? because those things seem far more urgent than dark mode (which you don't have to use), & the app store (i mean, how much time do you spend there anyway)?

i want an OS that supports my actual work, gets me online, runs well. and mojave (for me), is a step forward from HS. what else really matters?

17. BigBoy2018, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

BigBoy2018 macrumors regular

BigBoy2018

God I hope not.

As far a Mojave goes, I'm glad to hear some of the good reports on it. It's the last mac OS that will support 32-bit apps and open-gl so I hope by the time we're at 10.14.6 (or whatever it ends at) that it's absolutely rock solid.

With Apple removing support for legacy apps and introducing more 'security' and ios type features that limit the system's flexibility, I think I may one day look back at Mojave as the last great MacOS.

18. olad macrumors regular

Abate your anger! ;) don't be so hard on the guy...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2019 ---
    Totally concur. i like mojave. i don't use dark mode; can't understand all the hype. and dosdude1 made it possible for me to run mojave on a 2008 MBP 17-inch. life's good.

19. Howard2k macrumors 68000

Howard2k

Mojave converted your external drives to prevent you from going back to High Sierra?

20. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

Yeah, I don't get it either. Unless it tried to upgrade it to HFS+ - which it would delete all the data.

21. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

my friend came over with his macbook, and mojave converted his mac to APFS. i called my cousin, and while we were on the phone, mojave converted all his drives to APFS! when i texted my GF this morning, her phone got converted! mojave is everywhere.....

22. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Quality does not appear to be Job One in either software or hardware for Apple just now.
    Lenovo sales are up. Apple may get used to the new world of mature technology, and start putting out quality again.
    Personally, I'm not paying for glitz.

23. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

fun read, but don't agree (altho the air, and the mini could be better); mojave's been great here, much better than HS.