Mojave on RAID with APFS - a HOWTO

JGDR

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
Installed Mojave 10.14.2 on APFS RAID 0 and encountered the problems described in this post and was able to overcome them. Let me try to pass on what I learned.

Code:
gpt create /dev/disk9
gpt add -b 40 -s 409600 -i 1 -t efi /dev/disk9
gpt show /dev/disk9
       start        size  index  contents
           0           1         PMBR
           1           1         Pri GPT header
           2          32         Pri GPT table
          34           6
          40      409600      1  GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B
      409640  1997375415
  1997785055          32         Sec GPT table
  1997785087           1         Sec GPT header
On the second gpt add command make sure to use -b 409640 not 409600 or you'll get an error message "not enough space left on device". Use the second number listed (in my case 1997375415) to as your -s parameter to add the remaining free space.

Code:
gpt add -b 409640 -s 1997375415 -i 2 -t apfs /dev/disk9
Once you get this far you should be able to run the Mojave installer, select the RAID volume, get all the way through without hitting the preboot error. It will then reboot, install a bunch more, and then you'll get all the way almost to the end and it will error out with:

To anyone who gets this far, yes, this can be done from the installer. Once the error message dialog appears asking you to reboot, you can access the menubar along the top right (country code and keyboard). Once you've accessed the top menubar you'll need to mount the volume read/write. This can be done from the command line (somehow) but I did it by selecting Utilities => Disk Utility selecting the drive that represented the RAID set, clicked mount. Once the volume is mounted Quit Disk Utility.

Next go to back to the top menu bar => Utilities => Terminal.

Code:
cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ RAID/usr/standalone/
mv bootcaches.plist bootcaches.plist.bak
No pesky SIP in the Mojave installer thankfully.

Quit Terminal

You'll be taken back to the error screen, offering for you to reboot, do so, you should then reboot into the Mojave setup screen!
I followed the steps but using a JBOD / Concatenated setup and right after finishing installing and rebooting, a white Crossed Circle appeared on the screen. Tried using Single User Mode but it would still hang before I could type anything. Also, only Internet Recovery was available. I'm on Recovery HD right now but apparently this method only works on real RAIDs and not Concatenated Drives (unless someone has a solution). My computer is a 2017 iMac 21.5 Inch. I'm using and external SSD and internal HDD for the JBOD formatting.

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Hi there, I came across this thread trying to find a solution to my problem. I have a 5,1 Mac Pro that I am running 10.14.6 on with a Fusion Drive setup that is abysmally slow. I edit 4K footage for my youtube channel and drop frames constantly in FCPX due to the poor rw speeds. I bought 2 500GB 2.5" SSDs on Amazon to do a x2 RAID0 for my boot drive. I did not know that Apple had dropped support for bootable RAID in Mojave. I have already made the RAID0, copied my Fusion Drive to the RADI0 via Carbon Copy Cloner, and I would love to make this thing bootable as I have gone through this much trouble already. I already have the drives and adapters, not looking to abandon the whole setup to convert to Nvme if I don't have to, Nvme is a pricier route that I was looking to avoid due to the financial investment.

Can someone please walk me through the steps for a newbie here? I have only messed around in Terminal for a few things so please, super dumb it down here for me. I can do this with proper direction, just need someone willing to walk me through this. I have read through this thread but its a bit confusing to me so a little assistance and hand holding would be amazingly helpful!

ben824

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2012
GA
Can someone please help me? Been sifting through all the responses back and forth but its a bit confusing

webg3

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2018
Can someone please help me? Been sifting through all the responses back and forth but its a bit confusing
Ignore all answers, follow this:

Terminal

diskutil list
disk0
disk1

diskutil appleRAID create stripe RAID apfs disk0 disk1

diskutil list

New:
disk2

diskutil umountDisk disk2
gpt create disk2
gpt add -t hfs disk2
disk2s1 added

Open Disk Utility and format to APFS

webg3

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2018
Hi there, I came across this thread trying to find a solution to my problem. I have a 5,1 Mac Pro that I am running 10.14.6 on with a Fusion Drive setup that is abysmally slow. I edit 4K footage for my youtube channel and drop frames constantly in FCPX due to the poor rw speeds. I bought 2 500GB 2.5" SSDs on Amazon to do a x2 RAID0 for my boot drive. I did not know that Apple had dropped support for bootable RAID in Mojave. I have already made the RAID0, copied my Fusion Drive to the RADI0 via Carbon Copy Cloner, and I would love to make this thing bootable as I have gone through this much trouble already. I already have the drives and adapters, not looking to abandon the whole setup to convert to Nvme if I don't have to, Nvme is a pricier route that I was looking to avoid due to the financial investment.

Can someone please walk me through the steps for a newbie here? I have only messed around in Terminal for a few things so please, super dumb it down here for me. I can do this with proper direction, just need someone willing to walk me through this. I have read through this thread but its a bit confusing to me so a little assistance and hand holding would be amazingly helpful!
In order to boot, you must start on mode Single User cmd+S or Terminal (boot installer),

insert:

mount -uw / mv /usr/standalone/bootcaches.plist /usr/standalone/bootcaches.bkp

Reboot

Done

bigeyedesigns

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
NYC
Hey, Can someone please explain the terminal Command inputs
I have the same issues of not being able to boot after an APFS change after installing dosdude1's mojave