Montevina Platform 2008 Thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HFU, May 12, 2007.

1. HFU macrumors regular

How many existing MB/MBP owners here are waiting for Montevina Platform 08?

Just to share a bit background on the Montevina Platform:

- Fifth generation Centrino platform
    - Support Penryn (45nm) processor (dual/quad) core, 3~6MB L2 Cache, 10W~45W TDP, SSE4
    - Cantiga Chipset (Intel 4 Series 65nm Chipset, PM45, GM45)
    - South Bridge (Intel ICH9M/ICH9M-E)
    - Support 1.5v DDR3-1066 memory speed
    - Support integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics device
    - Support Intel Turbo Memory (NAND Flash)
    - Support Intel LAN controller (code name Boaz)
    - Support Intel Wireless WiFi Link (code name Shiloh)
    - Support Intel WiMax (code name Duna Point)
    - Support Intel combo WiFi/WiMAX Link (code name Echo Point)
    - Support WiMAX 802.16 and HSDPA 3.5G
    - Optional SSD

Intel Next Processor Generations Fact Sheet

Other possible specification update:
    - 17.3" and 15.6" LCD Panels. (16:9 aspect ratio and more inline with HDTV)
    - ATI 3xxx Series or Nvidia 9xxx Series Switchable Graphics (user switchable graphics between discrete and integrated graphics to help maximize battery life).
    - Optional Blu-Ray optical drive

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Aside from using Penryn, the featureset of Montevino is all speculation, non? Onboard HSDPA would be excellent...although, in the US, one would hope that this meant an EDGE backup, given the rate of 3G uptake here. :( I wonder if either WiMAX or HSDPA will truly be ready for American primetime (given how many Centrino computers are sold) in 2008.

3. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I'm actually waiting for the 2013 version of Montenegro. I plan on being an early adopter.

Actually, that would be a nice replacement for my current (piece of) craptop which should be just about dead by then, assuming it survives another summer of school...

Would be an easy decision for me, since this is windowze. Breaking my heart to use it. My imac is giving me dirty stares everytime I leave the house with the interloper.

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Can we expect to see Quad Core Notebooks already in 2008 ?

5. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

the samples are out and intel says late 2007 early 2008 for quad core laptops

6. Jouten macrumors newbie

Jouten

Why wait?

I just bought my C2D 2.0, but if I were to wait, I think I will wait for AMD's Octo-Core processors to go live in laptops. By then, Apple should be willing to adopt a new architecture for processors. So...say....2020? Maybe laptops won't be around by then. Maybe they will all be extinct and halographic visors with 3D motion sensors (like that movie "Minority Report"). But why stop there? Why not wait even longer until right before the day you die and then buy the latest and greatest? That would be a hoot! Heheh! Just kidding! All that aside, I'm not an early adopter when it comes to computer technology (PC/MAC) but I usually early adopt gaming consoles and others. So I can see why people wait, they don't want to have Tech Envy. Totally understandable. But while everyone waits for the 'next big thing', I went ahead and just got my rig I got now.

White Macbook C2D2.0/2G/160G

7. 66217 Guest

Waiting 1 year or more for something related with technology (especially computing technology) is crazy.

There is always going to be something better around the corner, so maybe as well you can end never buying your Mac/PC.

Just enjoy your life. Don't worry, be happy.;)

8. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Screw that, I'm just never gonna buy a laptop until right before I die. That way I'll never have to use anything obsolete in my lifetime! Hell, I never plan on using my computers to be productive ever, it's all about having the newest, most shiny one, all for braggin' rights.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

HSDPA was supposed to be in Santa Rosa.

I'd imagine it'll get the chop in 'Montevina' also, surely they'll just go for WiMAX or something.

Don't get me wrong, HSDPA would be awesome, but the operators around the globe have done such a poor job of making mobile data a reality (largely due to pricing, though partly due to slow or poorly executed rollouts) that I believe integrating HSDPA may continue to present an unjustifiable cost.

10. HFU thread starter macrumors regular

This thread isn't about making prophesies in future product that could come in N number of years (it's about a future product on Intel's roadmap that emerges in 2008!). We all know technology is getting better year after year, it all depends if potential customers need to take advantage of certain technology at the time of its availability. If we are looking for performance gain over the existing Napa platform (CD/C2D), Montevina platform will probably be the next platform to show noticeable performance advantage over the existing Napa platform. Napa platform still provides a lot of edge in terms of performance, e.g. CPU (65nm Merom), memory (DDR-667), and network (802.11g/n) architecture. HSDPA is probably not at its prime time and Intel should have included it in SR platform for evaluation.

11. dannewell15 macrumors regular

while I lie on my deathbed, I will flip open my C2D Macbook and order whatever version of a Macbook Pro there is at that time. Isnt that a fantastic idea? :D

12. cube macrumors G5

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I figure my C2D MBP and 2-footer are going to last me a long time. The mind reels when considering how advanced my next computer will be as my existing pair are just awesome.

FWIW, I really won't have Santa Rosa envy.

14. dannewell15 macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly. All this talk of waiting for this and that gets a bit silly. "Oh yeah , I'm waiting for the 3000 millenium edition of this product"
    LOL

15. HFU thread starter macrumors regular

I concurred, C2D MBP (Napa platform) is going to be a keeper for quite sometime.

I studied the SR platform closely especially on the chipset. The Crestline aka (Intel PM965 chipset) does not work well with Apple's "current" design philosophy. For one, the memory speed support (e.g. DDR2-800) should be synchronous speed to FSB by taking the advantage of 800FSB Merom. Secondly, when raising FSB to higher speed, the main board and CPU substantially increase more heat. Although, Intel realizes 800FSB Merom doesn't provide TDP advantage over the existing 667FSB Merom, it did a trick by expanding FSB dynamic range to (2.6/2.4/2.2/2.0/1.8/1.2/0.8GHz). This result an idle CPU speed at 800MHz, not only consume less power, also dissipate less heat. Though when running at full load, it will be a real challenge again, and we will see how Apple will tackle with heat issue (assuming using the existing MB/MBP enclosure). It's inevitable Intel is shifting to 45nm process quickly in 08 to address heat issue on portable market. That's the time when existing MB/MBP owner see noticeable improvement on the notebook technology front (e.g. less heat, much longer battery hours, etc.). It's my humble opinion from experiencing different platform trend.

For people in the market for MB/MBP, you are free to pick the system that suit your need.

16. Jouten macrumors newbie

Jouten

1st Gen Tech

Yeah, everyone seems to also forget that most 1st generation of any tech products (Apple lately too) have more flaws and bugs that always have to be fixed (do they get fixed?). So even if something did come out new, I would definitely wait until at least the 2nd generation of that particular product to come out before I buy. Note the difference. I said wait for the 2nd gen of a product, not wait for the next new product.

17. 66217 Guest

My Core Duo MB is perfect. I don't have any problems at all. I am even considering not to buy Apple Care.

18. Jouten macrumors newbie

Jouten

Hence why I said, next generation not next 'new product' CD vs C2D. Grats on your flawlessly new CD MB! Mine is running super awesome too! :)

19. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

The only problem with not buying applecare is if you ever plan to sell it within 2-3 years, there is ZERO warranty. However, I'm not sure how often you buy/sell Macs so this may not matter...

We just got Applecare for our all 3 of our macs. 2 are out of the first warranty next month...now we can keep them going for a lot longer.

20. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I'm not waiting for this chipset per se, but this chipset (or possibly the next version) will be rolling out around the time I go to college and around the time my CD MBP will be becoming REALLY obsolete. I don't really want to buy a new computer unless it is going to give me a 50-100% increase over what I have already. For example I went from a 2.2ghz P4 Dell with 512 RAM to a 2.16ghz CD MBP with 2gb. That is quite a jump, and was well worth the $2400 premium I paid for it.

However, an incremental processor or chipset update is not enough for me to upgrade. If Montevina comes out alongside top of the line mobile graphics, a thinner case, OLED screens, SSD HDD, and a hydrogen cell battery (all possibilities in the relatively near future), I'll go for it. However if it is just a faster C2D with built in HSDPA stuck into a 2006 MBP case with few other improvements, there is no way I am going to spend a small fortune on it.

21. Jouten macrumors newbie

Jouten

That is a very good 'measurement' for upgrading. Although there have been alot of technological 'steps' there wasn't any REAL jump in tech until the dual cores came out. I'm sure there are others, but that was just an example.;)

22. HFU thread starter macrumors regular

The next jump will be 45nm processor (quad core) in H2 2007, and mobile Penryn (45nm) processor to be launched around Q1 2008. It will be around the time Apple refreshes next gen MB/MBP. It makes more sense for Apple to utilize 45nm processor in next gen MB/MBP to improve power consumption as well as lowering the heat.

23. ready2switch macrumors 6502

ready2switch

Contrary to most others posting here, I don't see this as a joke or rediculous. The OP clearly is asking CURRENT MB/MBP owners, which would be, at the most, a year old machine. It is quite possible that these owners would want to upgrade late 08 or early 09. Even if not, it's always fun to look ahead, as Intel DOES provide it's roadmap for us.

Nowhere in the original post do I see any comment to invite such redicule. It's not as if they're on a G3 and the SR MB just isn't good enough. Lighten up, people. We're all here for information and fun (ok, most of us anyway).:p

24. HFU thread starter macrumors regular

Intel P35 Chipset Overview

Thank you ready2switch for seeing the value of this thread. I'm just sharing my thought about future platform that potentially had more to offer on MB/MBP.

Here is an interesting piece of review which gives us an overview of what to expect from Cantiga Chipset and ICH9M Bridge. The review compared the desktop version aka P35 chipset (replaces P965) to other existing chipsets. According to Intel road map, there will be another SR platform refresh (965 update) around H1 2008, and Montevina will release around the same time that supports DDR2/DDR3, higher FSB (667, 800, 1066).

Looking at the TDP comparison between Napa (945), Santa Rosa (965), and future Montevina (possible called 35 similar to desktop counterpart):

TDP
    Napa (945): 6W
    Santa Rosa (965): 8W
    Montevina (35): < 7W (base on what we know from desktop version P945/15.2W vs P35/16W vs P965/19W)

The Montevina platform suppose to have better battery power, less power consumption, and less heat, while providing faster performance. e.g. disk I/O for ICH9M has shown faster disk controller performance according to the review.

25. iBunny macrumors 65816