Mophie Juice Pack Air for $33!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by psywzrd, Jul 27, 2012.

1. psywzrd, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

psywzrd macrumors 68030

Don't know anything about this website (I saw an ad for it on Swagbucks) but they have the Mophie Juice Pack Air on sale for $33. I think they only have limited quantities so jump on it if you want it.

http://www.froobi.com

2. calvy macrumors 65816

no thanks. Even amazon is selling fake ones. No way I'd take a chance with some deal site I never heard of.

3. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Doubt it was a fake but the sale is over now anyway! Apparently they change their deals at noon eastern time every day. I didn't want one anyway but I figured that someone else might want to give it a shot.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Daily Steals had em for $35 shipped not too long ago as well and I got one for the wife and myself. A bit too bulky for my liking, but my wife loves hers.

5. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Totally agree that it's too bulky. I had purchased the one they sell at the Apple store (the one with the removable bottom piece) and I returned it because it was too bulky and the buttons were too recessed for my liking. Ended up getting the Tekkeon MyPower. I really like it but I haven't been using it because I've been docking my phone at work every day so my battery never really gets that low.

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Another reason I don't use mine as well. I have about 10 iPhone chargers so there's really not a need for battery case when I have a charger around me 24/7.

7. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The charger cases are useless. Just get a Mobile Juice Pack Ultra or a similar product to that. They'll charge anything that can plug into a USB or MicroUSB port and they're much cheaper then the proprietary cases.

8. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

They aren't useless. They serve a purpose. I don't want to carry around extra crap so a little thicker case in the Juice Pack Plus which actually cost less than their powerstation keeps my phone charged all day is more than satisfactory for me. I use my phone constantly and without the extra juice, it's dead by 1600 every day. The Plus keeps my phone protected and charged.

While I agree it is thicker than the phone naked or in a typical snap case, it is only a hair thicker than a Defender and I'm actually talking the Juice Pack Plus. The Air is actually the same size though it is little longer. It isn't that big and the extra battery is more than enough of a trade off to justify the thickness.

With the battery built right in, I don't have to worry about another external battery that I not only have to keep track of but also make sure that it stays charged. Extra juice is always with me so when the time does come almost everyday I just turn it on and continue on my business. At night I charge both up and do it again the next day. As a note I don't usually kill the phone after the recharge from the case unless I'm on travel.

Look, the battery cases may be a waste to some as not everyone is a power user or goes a couple of days before recharging the same way an Otterbox is overkill for most people. For those of us that kill our phone's battery daily due to extended use then it is a lifesaver that makes the phone worthwhile. Not to mention that my phone is close to 2 years old now and the battery definitely isn't what it used to be.

9. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

And what if you're always on your feet moving around, and need your phone in your hand, checking emails, browsing the web, and answering calls? Just because something may not work for you, by no means does it make it useless. I rather have extra bulk on my phone, than have to carry around another device, along with cables.

10. pman219 macrumors 6502a

pman219

What color ?
    Want to sell it ?

11. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Totally agree. I think it's much more practical to have a battery case than to carry around an extra battery pack that needs to be plugged in to the phone so that you can use it. A external battery pack isn't very practical to use when you have to actually use your phone and they're not particularly pocktable either. To each his own though I guess.

12. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Can you even comprehend what a Mobile Juice Pack Ultra does? It's made for heavy users that RUN DOWN THEIR BATTERIES! Why would you even be looking at any of these products if the built in battery lasted the whole day for you?

The proprietary cases are useless. Want to know why? What happens when you switch to a different phone? That $70-$80 purchase just became useless. The $30 Mobile Juice Pack Ultra can charge anything that plugs into a USB port and has a bigger capacity than any of the case chargers.

13. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

Can you even comprehend that I don't want to always have to worry about charging an extra device? Can you comprehend that I don't want to have to worry about carrying extra crap? Can you comprehend that a $30 Juice Pack Ultra is an extra device that has to be charged? Seriously how dense are you?

While I like what the extra power supplies can do, in practice they aren't as convenient for daily use especially when I use my battery case everyday. They are great for when I am on travel for a week and out in the field as they also charge my laptop but when I drain my battery daily, having to make sure that I have an extra device in my pocket when my phone dies is not only inconvenient but also totally asinine.

Then to top it off, I have to make sure that when I get home that I now have to plug in two devices and charge both. Really convenient.

Look, it is fine if you choose not to use a battery case as for the majority of the population they are overkill anyway the same way an Otterbox Defender or Griffin Survivor is overkill as well. Most people don't kill their phone battery daily and an extra battery only comes into play once in a while. For dialy use, a battery case is not only more convenient but also more functional. Trying to use your phone while charging with one of the external batteries is not ideal and some activities aren't even possible.

Please grow up and live in the real world. What works for you may not work for others. What is useless for you may be vital to others.

14. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Black and sure I'm willing to sell it. PM me an offer.

15. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I only use one outlet to charge my external battery and iPhone. The battery pack can charge any device at the same time that it's being charged. It's also easy to do things on the phone while it's being charged. I can talk on the phone while it's being charged and the battery pack being in my pocket just fine.

Whatever floats your boat, but I do live in the real world. I evaluated the cost for performance and realized the cases are defiantly not cost effective.

16. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

17. rapaleeman macrumors 6502

You completely missed the point and are refusing to see any other observation or use but your own. I never said anything about having multiple outlets to plug into. The idea of having to not only charge all of my other electronics plus the pack is not convenient and a hassle for me, especially when I get up every morning at 0430.

You seem to be a very narrow minded individual that has some odd hate towards a battery case since you feel that your external battery is the only solution. They are made for a particular audience and you fit their target market. Not everyone falls into that market.

I'm done with this. You will obviously never get the fact that some things are just not for everyone. The battery cases are more expensive due to their limited functionality but since I have been using said case since March of 2011, I have gotten the 64.99 out of the two Mophies I have (I got a buy one get one free on sale on BestBuy.com one weekend a year ago).

Again, please grow up and live in the real world where other people have different opinions and uses of their purchased products than you.

18. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

And you said this to say what lol

19. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Don't bother wasting your time with people like him. It's a lost cause, and you're just wasting precious minutes of your life.

The Mophie case is a great case, and is far superior to any portal battery pack. I actually own both, and I haven't used my portable battery pack in over 5 months. My Mophie is always on my phone, and it's just an amazing thing to have.

When I go biking, I'm gone for 6+ hours and I have the Cyclemeter app running the entire time, along with the GPS, and music. My battery would normally be dead if I didn't have my Mophie case. You can't use a portable battery pack on a bike...

When someone is so narrow minded and refuses to believe other people may have different lifestyles, it's best to just ignore them completely.

Cheers.

20. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Couldn't of said it better myself. ;)

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A friend of mine killed his 3GS battery using one of those within months and it wouldnt even hold charge for a few minutes. Had to get a replacement from apple and threw away the Mophie. I dont know if its the constant charge, discharge and recharge type of thing that goes on with those battery packs or maybe he had a defective one. To me it doesnt sound good for the phone to be constantly charged even when not used and the use a little charge a little type of thing.
    Or maybe he didnt use it correctly?
    Either way just my 02, user beware.

22. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The case has an on/off switch. Mine always stays in the off position until needed. Once my phone battery gets low, I switch it on. Been using it for over a year and I have not had any battery issues.

Perhaps he had the original one made for the iPhone 3G which did not have an off switch and constantly charged your phone while it was in the case.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That might have been the case too.
    Not sure how it works since I never had one but if it was always on then it would cause battery damage.

24. Huntn, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I can't recommend the Mophie Juice Pack Air (1500mah). Taking my second one back to Sprint for a refund due to loose trim.

25. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I can't recommend Mophie at all, as a company.

I (as an external consultant) developed one of their enterprise accessories, and because of some wording on a document that someone at my company shouldn't have signed, they reneged on the deal after delivery of prototypes... Prototypes that were the result of many 80-hour work weeks to meet their ridiculous schedules.

Bad business, and bad (internally developed) products.